The definitive guide to Post-modernism by absolution* (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Yes thats right kiddies, my notes (well technically most of them arent really mine) are now up. Enjoy. Hope this works because my FTP is being a dick.

edit (anti) : see next post

Last edited by a moderator:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Good work though, had a look through it.

Quite a resource, think of uploading it to the BoS resources ?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Heh, i really have no idea when it comes to IT related stuff. :)
Ive already submitted it to the resources page.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Thank you very much!

It's a real lifeline, because I'm having trouble with the topic...

Just my 2 cents, but I think its extremely unfair that some high school students get off the hook with something easy like Genre, while other people have to get their heads screwed around with by Postmodernism; which is realitsically a university level topic...

:vcross:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
Thank you very much!

Just my 2 cents, but I think its extremely unfair that some high school students get off the hook with something easy like Genre, while other people have to get their heads screwed around with by Postmodernism; which is realitsically a university level topic...

Yeah, its definately a complex elective. With that said though, once you grasp the central theories and general concepts it becomes a lot easier. Normally it takes a while, but then it just clicks.

The great thing about it being so complex is that it tends to be marked with that in mind, making it somewhat relatively easy in get E4's.

If you need any help PM me.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Really??

So they do actually take into account the relative difficulty of the Postmodernism course in relation to something easy like Genre when they mark your stuff??

If that's the case... then that's mad!

... Although I think I screwed up my first assessment. The question asked how Orlando was an example of PoMo (which was fine), but also asked for the historical context of PoMo (which wasn't fine, because we had never even ventured near the history of PoMo in class :().

I just hope my teacher went and batted for us, because we had no idea any history was going to be involved in the question. :mad:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I pretty much wrote this word for word in the exam, covering the histotical and philosophical context of Pomo. It is from my notes.

CONTEXT

POST- AS A PREFIX

• Post- (prefix)

The "post-" of postmodernism inevitably brings up the question of periodization. "Post-" clearly means "after," but it is usually interpreted as marking an abrupt and even violent break between the before and the post-. In some cases the post- is interpreted as "anti-" or against. With postmodernism, and to a lesser extent poststructuralism, the break between before and after is posited as quite radical, even a revolution or at least a subversion of modernism (and
Structuralism).

MODERNISM

• Modernism rejection
Postmodernism is an artistic, architectural, philosophical, and cultural movement or condition, said to arise after and in reaction to modernism. Whereas modernism frames itself as the culmination of the Enlightenment's quest for an authoritatively-rational aesthetics, ethics, and knowledge, postmodernism is concerned with how the authority of those would-be-ideals, sometimes called metanarratives, are subverted through fragmentation, consumerism, and deconstruction. Jean-François Lyotard famously described postmodernism as an "incredulity toward metanarratives" (Lyotard, 1984). Postmodernism attacks the notions of monolithic universals and encourages fractured, fluid and multiple perspectives and is marked by an increasing importance in the ideas from the Sociology of knowledge.

POST WWII AND THE 1960s

• Post 1960’s cultural perspective
Any of several artistic movements since about the 1960s that have challenged the philosophy and practices of modern arts or literature.
In literature this has amounted to a reaction against an ordered view of the world and therefore against fixed ideas about the form and meaning of texts.

• Existential Roots
Existentialism reacted against any kind of a universal system or ethical absolute (especially Hegel's metaphysical system) that stands above the individual. The existential psychologist Rollo May summarizes it aptly:
Existentialism means centering upon the existing person; it is the emphasis on the human being as he is emerging, becoming. The word "existence" comes from the root ex-sistere, meaning literally "to stand out, emerge." Traditionally in Western culture, existence has been set over against essence, the latter being the emphasis upon immutable principles, truth, logical laws, etc., that are supposed to stand above any given existence
After existentialism existence gains primacy over essence with the emphasis placed primarily on the individual actualizing his or her existence through choice. Truth is experienced as an inward passion or the recovery of Being as opposed to an immutable principle. As Kierkegaard put it, "An objective uncertainty held fast in an appropriation-process of the most passionate inwardness is the truth, the highest truth attainable for an existing individual" [italics his].1 I would argue that to the extent that existentialism has succeeded in overthrowing the universal or "essence," the demise of the idea of "absolute truth" has been the result. However, the loss of essence eventually results in the loss of existence with its resultant "unbearable lightness of being." Being no longer has meaning. This state naturally leads to philosophical relativism a condition which is exaggerated by the theories of language that follow. Gene Edward Veith rightly concludes, "Existentialism is the philosophical basis for postmodernism."

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Lhyviathan said:
Thank you very much!

Postmodernism is one of those "you wont get it until you get it" kind of subjects, but once you get your head around the notion of no universal truths and the construction of perceptions according to the individual its quite easy.

Personally, after this semester, pomo has been outdated and really is only a fraction of the philosophical notion of existentialism in uni rather than a uni subject.

Gryphondarks

Sith Lord
HSC
Well I wouldn't say that they have the elective's difficulty in mind, but it's a great elective once you get the hang of it. Just read heaps of theorists, and IMHO it would be wise to actually get ur hands on the philosophers' work and read (or at least skim) thru - start with Derrida, Baudrillard and/or approach the meta-theoretical work of Calvino (he writes more than just novesl) and the commentaries of Fowles.

Oh yeh and ;) if anyone needs help check out the tuition forums hehe, or my sig.

~Kat~

Yeah thanx again absolution* and that was an awesome encouragement to hear that the markers take into account that postmodernism is a difficult module! Keep up the good work!

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
thank u so much!! these really help because im learning about post modernism in prelim. 3u and adv eng =))

miss cherry

- ladidaaaa -
HSC
Lhyviathan said:

yeah i think thats really unfair aswell, esp coz the grade following us gets off with an oh-so easy crime fic elective!!! i didnt get pomo till halfway through the course n i'm still a little shaky with it all (great news less than a week to the hsc!!).

btw, thank u so much absolution, ur notes rock!!!

52526Emmy

HSC
I would like to thank you very much for that. I have been a bit lost with postmodernism and your notes are clear logical and very helpful. Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)