The Greek Wolrd 500-450 BC assessment 2008 (1 Viewer)

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
So basically i know this period off by heart yet for this assessment i have 2 options which are
1. "One of the key elements of the Greek victory over the Persians was the quality of Greek leadership"
Assess this statement with reference to two fo the following men:

Miltiades: heroic Athenian leader at Mararthon Second Persian invasion 490
Leonidas: Spartan king leader at Thermopylae Third Persian Invasion 480
Themistocles: Athenian general/politician creator of Athenian Navy and known for battle at Salamis Third Persian invasion 479
Pausanias: Spartan Regent leader of Greek army at Platea and somewhere else Third Persian INvasion 479

2. "Aristides and Kimon were prominent in the establishment, organization and operation of the Delian League"
Assess the roles of these two men

OK which do u guys think will be more interesting or easiest

alfonso22

HSC
by far to me... the easiest one is the first one..

themistocles did so much during this period...

he led the army to and away from almost an obvious and devastating loss at tempe
he led the navy in both salamis and artemissium

but most importanlty he helped the growth of democracy wthin athens by increasing the power of the ekklesia and amongst the lowest class(thetes).
this ultimately led to the fromation of the athenian empire.

miltiades also did quite abit ...

he led the army at marathon,,, and GREEN (writer) labels it as the swansong of the old regime...

the old regime being that of an oligarchy with the rich hoplite class fighting for their poleis. Because only the wealthy could afford armour.

this battle showed that what was once thought to be invinsible(persia)
was infact defeatable.

together these two men helped to form and shape the growth of a radical democracy within athens and a great imperial power in the known world.

these two guys fought in the battles leading to the biggest losses...that must say something!.

Lindethiel

HSC
I'd go with Themistocles and Leonidas.

Themistocles was the great figure head to the people, the one they looked to, (While poor Aristides silently faded into the background.)

While Leonidas was the figure head at Thermopylae, and was able to keep his head in such dire circumstances. (And sock-it to the tall feminine Brazilian.)

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
my god dude check when i posted this up it was something like almost a year ago but btw i did great on it with themistocles and pausanius to mix it up sure i gto 25/25 for it

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
my god dude check when i posted this up it was something like almost a year ago but btw i did great on it with themistocles and pausanius to mix it up sure i gto 25/25 for it
lol pausanius, i alway imagine him as the other pausanius, like this wimpy little warlord writing a travel guide wearing glasses, wandering around with his army thinking, 'hm, yes, this could be a nice place for a bed and breakfast, i should include it in my book'.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
other pausanius?????????????????????????????????:(
yea, he wrote a book thats pretty much a travel guide to Greece, wandered around writing about the scenery and how to get places and shit.

HSC
-may-cat- said:
yea, he wrote a book thats pretty much a travel guide to Greece, wandered around writing about the scenery and how to get places and shit.
lulz. i hate that. i always confuse the two.
same with the two thucydides--the historian and pericles' rival.
ggyyaah!!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
how do u know that ????? i mean what period of time did he do this????
*shrugs* i like ancient history, i read about it and hes a pretty quirky little character. im not to sure of the time period... im pretty sure its quite a bit later then 450.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cherry.blossom said:
lulz. i hate that. i always confuse the two.
same with the two thucydides--the historian and pericles' rival.
ggyyaah!!
:O sif you could confuse the two thucydides? ones like, cool and the other just aint.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
lol not doing delian league so only know of and want to know of one thucydides
how can u not be doing the delian leugue, ur doing 500-450 right? delian league is a part of that, plus i learned about the other thucydides in 'Periklean Athens' not 500-450 anyway...

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
not do delain league as i know i should bu so far they havent cut option between war or the league so i know it but i focus mainly on the war because i know everything in that of top of my head

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
not do delain league as i know i should bu so far they havent cut option between war or the league so i know it but i focus mainly on the war because i know everything in that of top of my head
Bah? found that hardto understand, but there have been essau options of the Delian Leugue in the past.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
no no i mean that there has always been a choice between league and war
ah i see.... what if they are really mean and they have question on the Delian League and then one on 1st Peloponnesian war? They have done it before.

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
like i said i am expert on the wars however id o know enough of delian league to get at least 23/25 for an essay but if anything to replace wars it would most probably be

delian league with other being athenian democracy

miss lozzy

HSC
-may-cat- said:
:O sif you could confuse the two thucydides? ones like, cool and the other just aint.

Lol I get all of the Persian royalty mixed up, you know, Artabazanes and Artabanus and Artaxerxes you know?

I have concluded that one day I'll get a cat and call it "Xerxes" how gnarly is that?!

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
ahhh what does the persian royalty have to do with greece 500-450 period??? or do u just like to post?

anyway i am syked if they put athenian democracy uestion in that would be epic cause so many people will fail lol and seriously i would be fine with it because of delian league i mainly focused on total effect upon athens

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)