The Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Hey, who here is doing the individual and society? We are, and I have liked it so far. Our texts are Browning's poetry, A Dolls House and P&P... What are you doing for your related texts? I've got Vanity Fair and I have to choose another one soon..... really soon lol.

Katey

HSC
Hi
Our class is doing indiv. & society - we're doing the same texts too. We're about half-way through P&P. It's great. Mmmm Mr Darcy hehe
I havn't even started looking for related material yet though. Maybe I should start! eek: I'll let you know if I find anything fantastic. :)
--Kate

Jinglebell

HSC
hey there, those are the texts we're doing too. our teacher gave us a pretty long list of possible related texts (stuff written around that time), if you wanted me to post a copy...

muldersgun

HSC
yes please post the list. I'm so stuck on supp. texts.

Would Oscar Wilde's "An Ideal Husband" be considered as Individual and Society?

I was also thinking about using the Film version of Anna Karinina.

Jinglebell

HSC
here's what we were given...

websites for Austen/P&P:
www.pemberley.com
the victorian web (we weren't given an addy for this one, but i'm sure you'll find it through a google search or whatever)

suggestions to get a 'feel' for the period:
Tess of D'Urbervilles
Wuthering Heights
The Madness of King George
Emma
Persuasion
Sense and Sensibility
Her MAjesty, Mrs Brown
Victoria and Albert
anything by Dickens

possible related text authors:
UK:
Austen
Dickens
Mrs Elizabeth Gaskel
Robert Browning
Thomas Hardy
Oscar Wilde
E M Forster
Lewis Carrol
Alfred Lord Tennyson
Europe:
Victor Hugo
Geothe
Brothers Grimm
Pushkin
Dostoevsky
Tolstoy
Balzac
George Sand
USA:
James Fenimore Cooper
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Herman Melville
Mark Twain

...you probably wont have the time/inclination for most of those (i know i didn't:) ) but hopefully you can find something you can just about live with.

muldersgun

HSC
thanks for the list.

Ugh soo much 19th century stuff. I'm hoping i can find a suitable film i like and just wing a dickens novel or something.

Ah! i see you too have been exposed to the VSD. (who hasn't?)

-------------

Day Seven

Suspect Eowyn fancies me. Cannot blame her as stubble so manly is turning even self on.

Jinglebell

HSC
if you liked P&P, i recommend the film version of Sense and Sensibility with Alan Rickman (and i can't remember who else...). and if you like reading Austen, apparently Persuasion is good...although our library only has one copy which is being hogged by my friend using it for ext 2. grg:)

have you read the new legolas VSD? another instant classic, with such quotables as "i look good when i run!" and "Not the prettiest! v. bitter." i can no longer watch the movies with a straight face!

js-angel

i'm doing the same texts too...about half way through doll's house now.. how you find it? for related material, i'm doing madame bovary (the video) and i don't know about my other one yet.. people in my school before have done stuff like titanic (the film) and Little Women.. i'll post some more up when i hear about more if you want...

muldersgun

HSC
i so can't keep a straight face when watching LOTR, esp. with the whole slashy undertone.

I went to the two towers and there's one bit where Theoden says to Aragorn,

"Last time i checked i was king here" (something along those lines)

and i was thinking, damn "still not king"

Day Six:

Aragorn still into Frodo. "Boromir, give the Ring back to Froooodoo." "Boromir, let *me* carry Frodo up Caradhras." "Boromir, quit trying to cut off Frodo's head while he's asleep so you can get at the Ring."

Blatant favoritism most annoying.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Do your teachers allow you to use texts from outside the historical period?? At our school our teacher says we should have related texts that are both 19th century and contemporary... but I was looking at the notes from the marking centre for this years HSC and it said something about contemporary texts disadvantaging students.......

pranks85

Yeah, we're doing the same texts - we're in the middle of P&P now. Co-incidentally, I'm also considering Wilde's "An Ideal Husband" and Anna Karenina; if you want to do poetry, Coleridge is good; Also anything written by Charles Dickens would work.

Jinglebell

HSC
personally, the only modern texts i'd use would be other film adaptations of stuff from the historical period, for example the S&S film. But even that i'd use carefully to make sure you don't focus on the modern aspects too much.

if you're still on the hunt for last-minute non-icky stuff, i'm currently reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles and i'd recommend it. it's not that hard to read and apparently would be a good contrast to P&P.

how many of the prescribed texts has everyone done so far in class? coz we've only done P&P and i'm getting a teensy bit concerned if we'll have time to do the others properly...

muldersgun

HSC
my class has finished P&P and almost through Gaskell's North and South ( I think). Leaving only Ibsen's a Doll's House and the 2 supplementry texts

lizzy1004

HSC
supplementary texts?

l'm doing p&p north and south and dolls house too... but i feel as if my skools a bit behind... we have dun only p&P what kind of supplementary texts are pplz using?

funkychickie

individual and society

yeh weve done p&p and browning poetry and now starting a dolls house... interesting to see what eveyone is doing... im coming first in my class so i kinda wanna keep it there...:ninja: :read: :wave: :teacher: :cop: :sniper:

muldersgun

HSC
ha, i'm coming 68th in my grade...ha!

:spam:

spam spam spam spam.....spam spam spam spam..........

funkychickie

what do u mean for enlish extension??? whoa how many ppl do ext eng from ur grade what school do u go to???
theres only 3 in my class and theres always 1 1st and 2 2nds never a 3rd... its annoying
anywayz gtf bye:D :p

beeflatt

HSC
related material

Oi, muldersgun! Hi! I thought I recognised that funny little flicky picture thing that comes up below your name! YO!
Well, I'm having a hell of a time trying to find related materials so thanks for all those lists of authors cos they've switched my brain onto the low setting (as opposed to off) so now I have an idea where to start! I just don't want to do Dickens. Anyone but Dickens (preferably not the Brontes ;)).
Oh, for the person who was asking, 114 people in our grade (out of 150) do ext1 English. That's a selective school for ya! :)

funkychickie

wow thats alot of ppl well im happy theres only 3 cause its a small cosy little class... theres only 9 in ext maths too... so it doesnt worry me.. i go to a normal girls college thingy so its not selective.. hehe anyways nah dont know any other related texts just thought id waste ur time by telling u that bar bar RULES!!
mwah:ninja: :sniper: :uzi: :teacher:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)