the individual in society (1 Viewer)

--insomniac--

I thought the question was pretty strange...
I just wrote out my essay adapting that something like

"We respond to characters that conform to their society with empathy and understanding of the patriarchal conventions of the time but we also respond to the individuals who sought autonomy, self-determination and sense of self by applauding their efforts and courage"

and because i really had no idea if that tied in the question i continued somewhere else saying

"The quest of autonomy, love, equality and independance is a universal and hence, no matter in what time or context, we, as the responders will inevitably empathise with individuals who also attempt to do so" or SOME SHIT BLAH =(

I thought it was really really hard! :( I just stared at it for ages going what the hell am i going to write...in the end i just focussed on various aspects of the individual's relationship with society. My texts were p&p and browning and i just did elizabeth and darcy and My Last Duchess + 2 related material. glad its over but really dissapointed with the way i handled it, basicly.

nomza

HSC
Unfortunately I didn't write specifically of the appeal to modern audiences.....basically just said how techniques draw the readers empathy and creates a positive or negative view of the individual. I also kinda made mention once of how modern audiences are critical of societies values in the C19th and that brings them into the text and experience of the individual too.

I wrote bloody two 8 page booklets and a 4 page one.....but it didn't answer the question it just spoke about techniques and the texts and stuff.

superhubert

half way between the gutter and the stars
I approached the question by saying that each of my texts were cultural hits whose female protagonists surpassed the limitations of their period by refusing to accept the evaluation of themselves in terms of their society's attitudes and beliefs, and the insistence on personal autonomy. I basically said that each of these heroines were archetypal figures who became a mouthpiece for 21st century values and in this way responders could understand their "experiences as individuals."
comments?
And my creative writing question...no structure! I just couldn't get it together! Incredibly disappointed with the way I handled this paper.

nomza

HSC
superhubert --- I wouldn't be worried if I was you, what you wrote here sounds EXCELLENT.

Porphyria_J

I think the question was fair, but it was one that was hard to approach i think. I wonder how a lot of people adapted the 'modern; audience aspect to it. still i stuffed the exam up

i tried basically to approach it as i would with an essay with having a couple of sentences or so trying to equate the values/conditions there with the modern audience

im dissapointed with the way i handled the paper because, well, dont you just hATE IT when you got out of the exam and said "i could have done this .." etc...

andi dont like the way i only talked about women, marriage, church, social hierarchy and government...mine wasnt a rounded response. i personally think i needed to add in something different, but i found i was rambling in the beginning in the beginning and got myself caught up in circiles... do you find that? i really wanted to talk about the mental health of women due to intellectual dislocation...

damn =(

--insomniac--

superhubert what u wrote sounds good
i just wrote stuff on understanding those other characters who conform to societal constraints because i didnt want to look like some feminist (might be a male, chauvinistic marker <=s), who simply saw all these oppressed women, if u know what i mean.
But what u wrote sounds really good so dont worry. Im too tired to worry.

Creative i did a dialogue between Kristine Linde in her adolescence and her mother.. cos u know how Kristine loved Krogstad but her mother is ill and she requests the Kristine not marry him but marry some rich bastard... blah blah
Was never very good at creative.

nomza

HSC
No, I didn't talk about modern audience enough...*sigh*

BUT, I don't want to throw in a spanner here....but about a conversation, I started doing one but it said do a piece of writing from the perspective of one character from the prescribed text.

I gathered that the piece of writing is intended to be by the character, therefore, a conversation isn't writing, and also, by having a convo it revolves around two characters.

Sorry to be horrible, horrible, horrible....maybe there was a way of structuring it or something, or I misread the question?

Mordenkainen

HSC
N/A
sounds like you aced the essay component of the exam, superhubert :D

hmm, i wasn't able to relate the experiences of the individual to the viewpoint of the modern day responders as well as i would have liked.
only briefly mentioned how we sympathised with the self-determined individuals who have suffered from societal consequences for not obeying conventions (Duchess) and respecting those who adopted an individualistic nature (Nora), but in all it sounds pretty hopeless

ARGH! anyway, YAY NO MORE ENGLISH!! :)

Porphyria_J

Well both my essay and creative writing was screwed

and yeah, i felt i didnt write enough at all on the idea of the modern audience bit

lol...you know im going to do sooo bad for creative. I did Nora, and i did it in terms of teh conversation (from one point only) she has at the end with TOrvald, and i warped it a bit. not very creative. went on and on and on, then suddenly i had nothng to write, so as they said *you can be imaginative as possible* (euck i hate it when they do that) i said, Dr rank taught her all about social darwininsm and darwinism, she also tells of Torvald for bringing out bible values and the position of women in the edenic myth, attacks teh church, oh and she befriends the lady who sells her the macaroons

so in the end, Nora now wants to live in industrial england and participate in the suffraget movement there, and tries to persuade Torvald to get out with the trade union movement there...

obviously i went a bit too far fetched.

ShirLz

Lol...at least its interestin...i did mine as Nora as well - structured as a diary entry, w/ the you referrin to as society...n basically nora whingin n lamentin that all's lost, that she was merely a doll, that all this time she was followin society, but now she had a chance to prove ya all wrong...lolz basically 6pages of whinging - i'm sure the markers may give me a good mark just to shut up :rolleyes:

for the essay question, i did the fact that the universal concept of the role of the individual in society meant that responsders in diff contexts could have different re-actions to it...and that the evocation of a reaction meant that "insert stupid quote" from question. n then i talked bout dolls house n pride n prejudice in relation to what value the responders' reactions added to the text.

eg. dolls house - ibsen forced to rewrite conclusion in german performance of the play

pride n p - darcy reconfigured to be an individual w/in his society due to a 20th century need for romantic heroes to be active, n physically desirable n emotionally expressive

additional texts were - the makin of pride n prejudice - sue birstwistle n susie conklin

Nana - French novelist Emile Zola

Origin of Species - Charles Darwin

Lookin at Mr. Darcy: Privilegin the Female Gaze - Lisa Hopkins

i thought my essay was ok...the creative thing was a bit weird, but who cares? :d its over now!!

superhubert

half way between the gutter and the stars
what's wrong with you people? 94 people have visited this thread and only twelve have bothered to reply! Don't just read it! I want comments...how did YOU find the paper?
I'm on a post-examination high! I have two days to study an entire geography course, yet I am sitting here waiting for someone to reply!

michellopi

Hey, ok lets dumb down the thread a bit with my reply! :)

For the essay i did Browning and Ibsen, basing them on philosophic, religious, economic and scientific paradigms (Different poem for each one) and linked them back t o how they represent the society in which they were constructed and thus transported the reader back to that period so they could empathise with the individual in the text...

Number of times i used the word "responder - about 10
Number of times i used the word "transport" - about 6

i had a complete language block.
I wrote about 11 booklet pages for the essay question, and i used Alfred Tennysons "marianna" and Jhonstons film version of the hoouse of mirth.

FOR the creative i was Nora (actually fuked that up tp begin with - was writing stuff like "Nora replied" before i realised after about 3/4 of a page and freaked and changed all the Noras to "I" . Fun eh!!!?
I actually am not a creative person AT ALL , even tho i did Ex 2 but i did a film so that was diferent, but what i did was have Nora return to Torvald after 4 years to come and collect her kids and she runs away with them, then gets to a motel after reflecting on how much shes changed and sees that the kids dont know who she is and she returns them and i implied that she comitted suicide becasue of the way that society treats her....i had no idea
Anyone else end there creative if from a dolls house with
"the miracle of miracles?"
I wrote 6 pages for this part, but as i said im NOT creative. The other people im my classs wrote....
personA- 6 pages for each
person B - 9 paged for the essay, 4 for creative
person C- 4 for essay, 3 for composing.

nomza

HSC
Michellopi!!!!!!!

Hahahaha....my creative was Nora too, and she was leaving a note and taking her kids too - lol - I was waiting for someone to have had the same idea as me.

I had to think of something creative at the end coz I knew people would be heaps creative. Seriously my note is just a bunch of rhetorical question to Torvald (you had to restrict me didn't you?? Do you think more of your little dolly wife now?? etc....)

*sigh* yes its over and my essay sounds so shit in comparison to all of yours.

Oh God i only did one Browning poem! I meant to also do the Laboratory and talk about science but i got a bit carried away with Pride and Prejudice and forgot ahhh do you think it will matter?!!

Porphyria_J

Well, i did only one browning poem and pride and prejudice as well!

ahaha maybe im trying to make myself feel better, but first of all, you have answered the question, and secondly, as long as you have put some focus more on the texts themselves than the related material than i think you should be fine with only having one browning poem....(EEK i dont think i really did that!)

but hey...i dunno! what does everyone else think?

Princess

HSC
wow! i was felling really confindant and now all you people are making me depressed. seriously i had a big rant as Nora on her way to Kristina's and the essay i talked about how the characters in p+p and doll's house were emulated in other texts and real life. kinda ended up crapping on a bit thou. only wrote 7 pages each.
one to go!!! yay :)

lou

well i'll put my two cents worth in. I don't want to be the first to say it but that was the easiest extension english exam i have ever done. I did Nora writing a letter as well, as did most of the people i spoke to after the exam.

With the essay, i thought they just wanted us to say how we can still relate to an individual's struggles agaisnt constraints of society as many people still experience that kind of thing today, it' just that the nineteenth century had so many good examples and that's why we still engage in texts from that era. In other words we focused on the individual and society in a particular context but it's really a universal idea. So i talked about things like Nora being trapped by particular social institutions and beliefs of the time but she is also representative of anyone confined by social expectations and duties. I managed to write thirteen pages for this essay when in the trial i only wrote six so i was very very pleased.

But i am so glad that exam is over!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)