The logic behind having rank orders and internal marks affect your hsc.. (1 Viewer)

Bloodstriker

HSC
The main claim is that it's split 50/50 between internals and the externals as some people tend to choke and can't withstand the pressure of final exams. But everyone still freaks out over the HSC, and they've already stressed enough over the past year about their rank order. So this results in a doubled level of stress.

Thoughts?

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
I agree.

The constant need to either be first, or just your aim of a rank is stressful. UPON THAT, maintaining that rank is difficult, espicially during ranks.
The competitiveness with yourself, your peers and trying to be better is stressful. And having other subjects to do the same in, places even more.

I suppose I understand the ranks system and I see it's advantages, but I wholeheartedly agree that it does not decrease any stress throughout the year.

deswa1

HSC
No I agree wholeheartedly with the ranks system. With it, it rewards consistent performance across the year and yes people are stressed now but if 100% of your mark counted JUST from the exam, and you had a one-off bad day, then you would be punished so basly for it which would render the system unfair and people would be HEAPS more stressed.

Demise

HSC
If you do well in the HSC yet had a mediocre rank, you receive a reasonable and above average mark that you deserved. If you strived consistently throughout the year and bomb the HSC exam, you are rewarded for your efforts but still get a lower-than-expected mark since you didn't do so well in the final exam. It's a fair system and it's the best we've got.

Demise

HSC
I agree.

The constant need to either be first, or just your aim of a rank is stressful. UPON THAT, maintaining that rank is difficult, espicially during ranks.
The competitiveness with yourself, your peers and trying to be better is stressful. And having other subjects to do the same in, places even more.

I suppose I understand the ranks system and I see it's advantages, but I wholeheartedly agree that it does not decrease any stress throughout the year.
Knowing that I'm both 4th in Business and Mathematics has decreased my stress significantly, understanding that my hard work (even if it is rendered futile if I fail) will be repaid as I will get a good internal mark. If I was a lower rank, I'd be freaking out incase I flunked the exam and received two bad marks simultaneously (internally and externally).

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
No I agree wholeheartedly with the ranks system. With it, it rewards consistent performance across the year and yes people are stressed now but if 100% of your mark counted JUST from the exam, and you had a one-off bad day, then you would be punished so basly for it which would render the system unfair and people would be HEAPS more stressed.
This.

Izbelle

HSC
If I have a good english rank but think I'm going to get about 89 externally (stuffed up belonging paper)... will my rank allow me to get a band 6? (my school generally has about 20 band 6's)

Demise

HSC
If I have a good english rank but think I'm going to get about 89 externally (stuffed up belonging paper)... will my rank allow me to get a band 6? (my school generally has about 20 band 6's)
Depends if you get a 91 moderated.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I fully oppose the ranks system. Although it rewards consistent effort throughout the year (the good thing) but it relies on school to set reasonable exams and assessments (the bad thing). I know I've said this a lot but my school doesn't exactly set 'good' assessments except for the Mathematics faculty.

Anyway, I don't think the rank 1 business increases HSC stress during this time because most people have gotten over their ranks (maybe not me) but still, some do and CAN affect some people - personally, it doesn't really affect me...from what I can see.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Knowing that I'm both 4th in Business and Mathematics has decreased my stress significantly, understanding that my hard work (even if it is rendered futile if I fail) will be repaid as I will get a good internal mark. If I was a lower rank, I'd be freaking out incase I flunked the exam and received two bad marks simultaneously (internally and externally).
Exactly what I mean by the advantages, but did were you studying hard, and trying your best in acheiving both those 4th ranks?
I don't know if it is for you, but people were stressed just to get good ranks, hence why I said that it doesn't decrease the stress on an individual.

At the same time, people are undoubtedly feeling exactly how you are during HSC, because they acheived high on the internal rank.

Personally for me, no matter how much effort I put into my studies (And trust me, I did), I wasn't able to attain a first rank in anything. All the times I stressed eventually didn't pay off, which has heightened my stress now, because I know I have to counteract what my internal mark is with a excellent external score (If you get what I mean).

In the end, like everything else, it all is dependent on the individual.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You cannot get a reliable assessment of a student based on one task alone. Hence you have consistent internal assessment tasks to get a more reliable indicator of student performance. If you cannot handle the consistent stress of this then you will find great difficulty coping at uni and sometimes even the workplace.

HSC
Who cares, geez so long you try your best doesnt matter. I was ranked first until term 2 and then died in trials and then plummented to 7th....which is not a moraliser. Honestly, its stupid trying to work out moderated marks etc because it changes every yer, depending on cohort. And remember, you're compared to the STATE not just the selective school nerds. Life is unfair, hsc is unfair, get on with it.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
So, what did our schools send to BOS then? Does the ranks they sent only include the trials rank, or everything you have done? Because I came consistently 4th in English Adv, but during trials I went down some ranks. Does that mean my school only sent trial ranks? And if so, how is that fair when my other assessments I got a good rank?

wootwoot1234

HSC
So, what did our schools send to BOS then? Does the ranks they sent only include the trials rank, or everything you have done? Because I came consistently 4th in English Adv, but during trials I went down some ranks. Does that mean my school only sent trial ranks? And if so, how is that fair when my other assessments I got a good rank?
the school sends your internal mark for each subject. this is calculated from assessment tasks throughout the whole whole year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)