the new msn messenger (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i think we're up to version 8 now =/

i downloaded this but had some problems.

That is, i typed in my email and my password (which is 16 characters long i think) however whenever i click 'sign in' the password suddenly gets reduced down to about 8 characters. Of course you can't see the characters because its like ********* but i was wondering why this continues to happen again and again for messenger but not when i sign in to read msn hotmail email?

Yeah thanks for any advice people

*Also i tried out my gmail account which has 16 characters and this also got reduced to 8 characters, but i was still able to sign in. When i tried another hotmail account it reduced the number of characters and didn't work as well :(

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Its called Windows Live Messenger d00d.

Its been out for ages

:dinosaur:

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
HAY GUYS HAVE U HEARD ABOUT THIS NEW PROGRAM CALLED ICQ, I HEARD ITS REALLI KWEL

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
yeah ok whatever, it looked different .. and new. when obviously it isn't kthnxbye

but the password thing ... WTF is up with it? help out a noob please, i don't f*cking care if i committed another faux pas i want to sign in gays.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The password hasn't changed. I think WLM reduces it down to a generic 8 character 'thing' ('password' perhaps?) to improve security. Your password is the same as it always was, don't worry.

I_F

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
thanks mate :D

but then, i still can't sign in .. except on bloody gmail haha

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
How about changing your password to a max of 8 characters and then you shouldn't have a problem...

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
hmm .. i'll definitely try that, but is there any other way i can keep a 16 character password?

i have it for everything so yeah, easier on the memory

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
It seems everything else you have tired and suggested hasn't worked so it seems to best your best option.

Hmmm and having the one password for everything isn't a good idea. Being a James Ruse student you should have a great memory especially for the subjects you do, so I doubt that is a problem probably because you think its easier and your lazy. :p

EDIT: Or you could try emailing MSN support.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Or not.

Of course it was unnecessary but just another option to pursue. Best to lay down all the options on the table.

Also just thinking about your problem bobness I think the general standard for passwords is to be no more then 8 characters with a alphanumerical combination so that would be also another reason. But logging into hotmail changing your password then logging into msn should fix your problem.

doingHSC

HSC
my hotmail pw's 15 chars, it gets reduced to 8 chars also, but am able to sign in.

Sefi

HSC
Live messenger just plain sucks. It uses way too much RAM for a messenger program.
I'm sticking with messenger 7.5 as long as i can.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I uninstalled msn messenger and reinstalled v7.5

Best decision eva.

And kept my ginormous password. Crappy 8.1 and its subliminal ways of forcing us to use shorter passwords, so they can crack it or something.

Zomg i need to make something a scapegoat. internetz :eek:

Sefi

HSC
bobness said:
Crappy 8.1 and its subliminal ways of forcing us to use shorter passwords, so they can crack it or something.
Um...technically they already have your password, no matter how long it is...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
Or not.

Of course it was unnecessary but just another option to pursue. Best to lay down all the options on the table.

Also just thinking about your problem bobness I think the general standard for passwords is to be no more then 8 characters with a alphanumerical combination so that would be also another reason. But logging into hotmail changing your password then logging into msn should fix your problem.
What the fuck are you smoking? The general standard for secure passwords is a 32 character long password which alternates between caps/lower-case/numbers at random intervals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)