The Official 2005 Gendered Lang thread! (1 Viewer)

_Benji_

HSC
For all discussions on Gen lang....

Who's doing it?
What texts are u doing?
What related u using?

<insert bitch about tannen here>

Mullum high is doing it (near Byron bay).....we doing all 4 texts then choosing the 3 that we like... havent started tranter yet..... and i need a new related (friends episode doesnt quite cut it).

Jopet

Old Fart
HSC
oh cool.... another school doing gen lang!! :D

how u guys doing?

edit:: this is actually _benji_ but jopet is in my ee1 class too

_Benji_

HSC
trials already??????????! wow ours are like in a month!! <insert praise to a higher power here>

what kind of related texts are ppl doin in ur class?

_Benji_

HSC
damn right....
How are we supposed to write a non corny non stereotypical creative piece? Its gen lang!!
grrr... markers comments say we always write the worst answers for that section...

anyway gd luck all!!

*thinks about starting to study*

whitneyfaith

woop whoop whoop
HSC
I'm doing it too...Murwillumbah High ext class of 3. Females. Being taught by a male. Who's never taught the unit before. We are, in a word, f**ked.
<rant>
Yeah stupid Tannen, self help guru posing at professor of linguistics. I see through your charade woman. Ugh do not start me on how much I hate the book and that woman
</rant>

_Benji_

HSC
OMG someone in my half of the state doing gen language?! if my teacher had known she wld have organized a "meet up".... aka lets all get together and bitch about tannen...

we have 2 guys and 8 chicks (or so)... so its man bashing to the max mwhaha so fun

btw im at Mullum high and teacher leaving this yr so no more gen language for our school....back to darn crime fic for the 06ers

u know what.... i dont mind gen lang.... tannen annoyes me sometimes but some of her points *are* ok.... and anyway its a great excuse to resort to petty "bloody men" arguments in the classroom

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
We resort to "stupid submissive women" comments and "thats where they belong", much to the dislike of our female teacher and 70% of the class.

i dont hate tannen. i just hate how she only has, lyk, 5 theories but repeats them continuously in her droaning book. I also hate having to apply her theories creatively.

Last edited:

_Benji_

HSC
u picked up 5 theories?!
geez!
i think i got about 3 that can go be combined into about 1

yeah we get the "bloody women" jokes to which u naturally reply "typical men, resort to trying to retain ur social rank!"

yeah applying them creatively sux without falling into stereotypes.... and writing about language and not just gender...
admittedly i didnt read the entire book cos i worked out the theories in about the prologue (we got divided into groups and got one chapter so summarise each so naturally i preferred the summary version of tannens spiel lol)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
The_highwayman said:
We resort to "stupid submissive women" comments and "thats where they belong", much to the dislike of our female teacher and 70% of the class.

i dont hate tannen. i just hate how she only has, lyk, 5 theories but repeats them continuously in her droaning book. I also hate having to apply her theories creatively.

i can't resist must join in on tannen bashing - sort of like an instance responce now...
one of the worse things about tannen is the total lack of evidence for all her claims. 90% of what she uses are analogies from her friends or from a movie that she's watched or some novel that she read over the holidays.
very anoying...

HSC
MissSavage29 said:
i can't resist must join in on tannen bashing - sort of like an instance responce now...
one of the worse things about tannen is the total lack of evidence for all her claims. 90% of what she uses are analogies from her friends or from a movie that she's watched or some novel that she read over the holidays.
very anoying...
HAHAHA...i never picked that up before! that's so true!

Any tips/ideas for creative writing in the exam?

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
The_highwayman said:
HAHAHA...i never picked that up before! that's so true!

Any tips/ideas for creative writing in the exam?
yes - its amazing the amount of crap that you can pick up and bag tannen out for.

Creative writing - ohk - well remember that it can be a numerous amount of task. when your doing your creative writing - if it is something a bit like an interview / radio script/ television interview etc just work the theories in - dont make it seem like you are forcing them on the creative peice...

and dont try to discuss every single theory in your creative peice which alot of people in our class semmed to try and do. Mabye stick to 2 or 3 and explore them well...

and if you are asked to do a radio interview a great way of bringing up points is have phone in callers - exellent because they can ask questions on her theories and it stops you having to waste valuable time introducing the stuff. (however i dont advise that you do this the whole interview - mabye towards the end - something like Now, we have some callers that would like to ask you some questions Deborah. Caller One - etc

i found that it is a good idea pre-exam to have your 'experts' ready and know stance they take. its great to have someone that doesn't agree with Tannen - then you can have a bit of an argument and you can prove/ disprove her theories.
(we were always told that you do not have to accept her theories 100%)

what else can i think of...
feature articles - the best ones that i wrote and some that i read had a very conversational tone and they were not formal. They were the stort of thign that you would pick up in womans day or women's weekly magazine.

Which acutally reminds me of something. if you are asked to do a feature article - which is possible actually - really think of what magazine you are writing for. So many times our teacher complained that the class was not writing for their audicence adn people reading the bulliten would not really care what some pop linguist had to say - so something like Woman's Day would be better - or a teenage audience Comso, Cleo - or even a how to talk to women article in a mens magazine like Ralph or something like that

if you have any other questions - i'm glad to help out

oh when is the ext 1 exam this year?

HSC
Thanks heaps.
MissSavage29 said:
Creative writing - ohk - well remember that it can be a numerous amount of task. when your doing your creative writing - if it is something a bit like an interview / radio script/ television interview etc just work the theories in - dont make it seem like you are forcing them on the creative peice...
I really want an nice open ended story! that would be so awesome, because i like my story.

and dont try to discuss every single theory in your creative peice which alot of people in our class semmed to try and do. Maybe stick to 2 or 3 and explore them well...
Thats an interesting point. i'd probably be one of those people who would try and discuss everything. i think i'd feel as if i was leaving something out. but yeah, it would be really superficial if i only just touched on everything.

and if you are asked to do a radio interview a great way of bringing up points is have phone in callers - exellent because they can ask questions on her theories and it stops you having to waste valuable time introducing the stuff. (however i dont advise that you do this the whole interview - mabye towards the end - something like Now, we have some callers that would like to ask you some questions Deborah. Caller One - etc
I've done a radio interview, but our teacher keeps on setting it up as if we would be doing it as our essay...i havent written any sort of creative piece (other than my story) that DIDNT have a discussion of my texts in there (eg: elizabeth, twelfth night, related) I just feel as if i would be blabbing on about nothing. would u recommend a discussion of what we have learnt or not?

i found that it is a good idea pre-exam to have your 'experts' ready and know stance they take. its great to have someone that doesn't agree with Tannen - then you can have a bit of an argument and you can prove/ disprove her theories.
(we were always told that you do not have to accept her theories 100%)
I might have her say "of course, these are purely generalisations"

what else can i think of...
feature articles - the best ones that i wrote and some that i read had a very conversational tone and they were not formal. They were the stort of thign that you would pick up in womans day or women's weekly magazine.

Which acutally reminds me of something. if you are asked to do a feature article - which is possible actually - really think of what magazine you are writing for. So many times our teacher complained that the class was not writing for their audicence adn people reading the bulliten would not really care what some pop linguist had to say - so something like Woman's Day would be better - or a teenage audience Comso, Cleo - or even a how to talk to women article in a mens magazine like Ralph or something like that
I've written a feature article/essay with a theme of "linguist darwinism" and "evolving language" (DONT STEAL THE IDEA PEOPLES!) because i love biology so i tried to intergrate the two subjects. the thing is, it would proabably have to go in some sort of sciencey magazine whose readers would probably think tannen was on crack. as i do!

if you have any other questions - i'm glad to help out
i) when doing a creative piece on tannen's theories, do u mention texts (as i asked above) and if u dont, do u just make up scenarios as she seems to do and discuss how people could get out of the situation?
ii) Should the creative thing be as long as an essay? i usually write 9 A4 pages (not HSC booklet pages) in 1 hour if i know what i'm talking about. My story in my trial was similar, but that is because it was a story and i had written it prior to the exam.

oh when is the ext 1 exam this year?
31st october.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)