The Old Change thread (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
Most of you probably have some old coins or pocket change lying around the house somewhere. If you have ever wondered what type of coins they are or if they are worth anything, post a picture in here and I will see if I can help identify/value it.

enoilgam

HSC
One particularly interesting coin to look out for in pocket change is a 1966 20 cent variation known as the "Wavy 20". The Wavy 20 has a small bump at the base of the 2, in comparison to the standard design which is straight as seen in the following pictures (the wavy 20 is on the left):

If you do manage to find one of these, they are worth around $300 - $2,000 depending on the condition.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Fascinating, are there any other valuable and not too difficult to identify coin variations still in circulation?

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC
One particularly interesting coin to look out for in pocket change is a 1966 20 cent variation known as the "Wavy 20". The Wavy 20 has a small bump at the base of the 2, in comparison to the standard design which is straight as seen in the following pictures (the wavy 20 is on the left):

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTEzOVgxMTg5/$(KGrHqZHJFYE88fNNwgHBPbkemVRM!~~60_35.JPG[IMG] [IMG]http://ezyapps.com/coins/20c_tails_2006.jpg[IMG]

If you do manage to find one of these, they are worth around $300 - $2,000 depending on the condition.[/QUOTE]

they may be worth that much but is there actually a market for them/people willing to spend that money on a coin

enoilgam

HSC
they may be worth that much but is there actually a market for them/people willing to spend that money on a coin
You bet - they are very popular amongst Australian collectors and the wavy 20's price is increasing (the value I put is conservative, the catalogue value is a bit higher). Personally though, I wouldnt get one for that money - I would much rather a Sovereign or something nicer.

btw i have a 1966 20 cent coin with me right now pls respond
Check for the bump.

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC
You bet - they are very popular amongst Australian collectors and the wavy 20's price is increasing (the value I put is conservative, the catalogue value is a bit higher). Personally though, I wouldnt get one for that money - I would much rather a Sovereign or something nicer.

Check for the bump.
lol people

disregard am retard

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Fascinating, are there any other valuable and not too difficult to identify coin variations still in circulation?
There are a few, but the other one that springs to mind is the 2000 $1/10c mule. Basically, there was a mixup at the mint and the mould used to print the "heads" side of a 10c coin was used to print $1. Since that 10c is smaller than the $1, the mule has a thick double rim on the "heads" side:

They are worth around $350 - $3,500 again depending on condition.

lol people
Looks straight to me unfortunately :(.

As the old adage goes "a coin is worth whatever a collector is willing to pay".

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
There are a few, but the other one that springs to mind is the 2000 $1/10c mule. Basically, there was a mixup at the mint and the mould used to print the "heads" side of a 10c coin was used to print $1. Since that 10c is smaller than the $1, the mule has a thick double rim on the "heads" side:
I always seem to have trouble telling differences in the thickness of the rim though, i sometimes find reading about counterfeit stuff interesting and after reading about fake $2 coins i occasionally try to spot differences among $2 coins i have and it seems the thickness of the rim and other details are often different.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
what else is there

post moar
There is the 1981 "3.5 claw" 20 cent piece. Basically, the platypus will only have 3.5 claws on it's hand closest to the 20 as opposed to the standard 4. This is harder to spot though, you might need a magnifier. These are worth around $150

I always seem to have trouble telling differences in the thickness of the rim though, i find counterfeit stuff interesting and after reading about fake $2 coins i have sometimes tried to spot difference among $2 coins i have and it seems in the thickness of the rim and things like that are often different.
The mule is more difficult to spot because rim size can vary depending on how good the machine strikes the coin. However, if you see a thick, slightly doubled rim on the "heads" side of a 2000 $1 coin, I would go to a dealer.

The fakes are definitely out there - China is spitting out decent fakes at an incredible rate, so be careful.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
how much is a double headed coin worth? I once found a $2 coin that had been misprinted with two heads instead of the 'tails' side.

wish I'd kept it though I never would've sold it

enoilgam

HSC
how much is a double headed coin worth? I once found a $2 coin that had been misprinted with two heads instead of the 'tails' side.

wish I'd kept it though I never would've sold it
If it was real, it could have been worth hundreds of thousands if not millions. As far as I know, double headed coins are a myth because the manufacturing process makes it impossible. However, a rouge mint worker could potentially have created one and if they did, collectors would go wild because they hardly ever come up.

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC
If it was real, it could have been worth hundreds of thousands if not millions. As far as I know, double headed coins are a myth because the manufacturing process makes it impossible. However, a rouge mint worker could potentially have created one and if they did, collectors would go wild because they hardly ever come up.
devs blue suede

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
it was real i was astounded because I'd never seen one before and confused because I didn't know if the register people would accept it as money because it wasn't proper and mum asked me to buy her a maccas coffee with it and i remember thinking at the time that i wanted to keep it instead and how amazed i was by this $2 coin but I was ~7 and even though I was all I WANT TO KEEP THIS mum just didn't get it and wanted that coffee

~regret~

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC
There is the 1981 "3.5 claw" 20 cent piece. Basically, the platypus will only have 3.5 claws on it's hand closest to the 20 as opposed to the standard 4. This is harder to spot though, you might need a magnifier. These are worth around $150

awks i think i have one of these (but actually)

edit: will find my magnifier from geology and check tomoz

woo this is actually fun even if it isn't the right coin i luv dis

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)