the powerline question (1 Viewer)

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
what was the top powerline and the ceramic thing for?

i rememeberd i studied it before, think i said something about the powerline provideds protection from lightning and ceramics discs protects them from rain.

what did u guys write?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I said that the top line was a lightning discharge wire, like a lightning rod. The ceramic thing was an insulator to prevent rain shorting the powerlines against the metal frame.

At least I hope so, anyway.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I put part A were shield conductors that protect transmission lines from lightening strike and ground it

part B were chain insulators that insulate the supporting structures from the transmission wires

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
yep...
a was a lightening discharge (earth) wire
b were cermaic disks to prevent leakage from the wires into the towers and they are dome shaped so rain flows off them to prevent them getting even slighty conductive

Jezzabelle

gordo said:
yep...
a was a lightening discharge (earth) wire
b were cermaic disks to prevent leakage from the wires into the towers and they are dome shaped so rain flows off them to prevent them getting even slighty conductive
why did i not know that at all?!! I never ever remember learning that :( darn there go 2 marks

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I read over that about 5 minutes before the exam...
(A) was a continual earth line. It doesn't carry current, usually, but in the event of a lightning strike it carries all excess electricity to the earth.
(B) was an insulator, and the shape is a series of discs, or bells, to keep the underside dry. If it isn't dry, dust that accumulates on the insulator can mix with water to form a conducting solution.

Gomer

HSC
LMAO!

We didn't study this all year, or well at least i didn't. I had no idea.

I said A was the current carrying wire, and had an insulating layer to reduce power loss, and i had no idea what B was so i said it was a transformer, and stepped down the voltage for use in the home.

I boned this question.

-- Gomer

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
it was a stupid little dot point at the end of the syllabus
i went through the syllabus and found about 15 dot points the teacher never taught us, so i dunno how the rest of the class went on that one either

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Well I had shit all idea on a 6 mark question on solar cells. Call it even :p

peeasoup

I said that coil thing on the power lines question was a step up transformer...

Jase

HSC
haha i did exactly what Gomer did..

that coily thing looked like coils to me, so i put transformer... how wrong we are.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Our physics class went on the most budget school excursion ever to cover this part. We walked out to the front of the school and looked at power poles for a few minutes while the teacher pointed out the details. It turned out very helpful :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Haha we didnt even walk out of the room just used binoculars to view them

hipcat

i wrote about eddy currents or some shit. i had no idea. i said the insulation prevents eddy currents forming in the poles and hence prevents power loss through heat.....

superbird

HSC
dorifto said:
i wrote about eddy currents or some shit. i had no idea. i said the insulation prevents eddy currents forming in the poles and hence prevents power loss through heat.....
unfortunately i believe that's incorrect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)