The Town Where Time Stands Still (1 Viewer)

clerisy

HSC
I can't pick out any techniques for this text! Any suggestions?

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Genii Loci - Latin terminology makes the piece aiming for a sophisticated tone
Has a semi religious tone......

ummm how are you trying to look at it? inner? imaginative etc?
because I can only help you with inner

J

jhakka

Analytical wording
"...have threaded their baser motives... with a subtler, sometimes even unconcsious, compusion - the search for the genii loci."

Places importance/significance on the journey, blah blah blah.

Antithesis
"to be moved, rather than to move"
"an external geography to act on their internal psychology"

Keeps the responder guessing. Contrasts inner and physical journeys.

marty_0001

HSC
Yeah my school's the same, it's probably the most neglected text in the book, but it's actually really good.

J

jhakka

I would have thought Blood on the Tracks would be a bit neglected. :|

Gemstone

I don't even think my school covered the town were time stands still. It's a really good text though. Particularly for inner because it talks about the motivation behind journeys.

Gems

chepas

HSC
I thought it would go better with imaginary or even better inner, but maybe for physical, that one could mention that in physical journeys they also include a certain psychological development when one takes a phys. journey, and that the "to be moved rather than to move" thing comes as something additional to the phys. journey one takes from point A to point B. I hope that makes sense?!? I'm not sure that it does myself.

Another question: A note-source from the BOS site mentions "...the genii loci, that is the ultimate psychological and spiritual experience...". Is that the definition of genii loci? What is it literally, all the Latin scholars out there :D? So, it is the ultimate psychological and spiritual experience that a human could ever have, nothing better? The pinnacle?

dprs

HSC
hmm well "genius loci" means the spirit of the place (loci place, genius spirit), and genii is the plural of genius, so i think it means "spirits of the place"

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
use the parrallels to draw out the inwoven nature of imaginary, physical and pyschological jourmeys. this text allows for the viewer 2 better understand all these forms of journey as it shows how one cannot exist without the others.

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
" genii loci" means the spirit of a place/ peculiar character of a place/ it's heart and soul/ also guardian spirit
or at least that's what's in my notes...

wildtiger

HSC
it is the exceptional state whereupon creative, and original conceptions can be discovered, the highest state of mental ability where imaginative and spiritual experiences can be drawn. it leads and inspires composers to create each of their texts upon their attainment of the 'genii loci', which in turn inspires the audience of those texts, to undergo their own imaginative journey

hope it helps any last minute ppl out there

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
genii loci

Genii Loci actually means the place from where u came from. your birth place or place you feel most at home. The text explains the reason behind not only inner journeys but physical journeys. "They seek the external geography that will act on their internal psychology like an irresistable force." In other words one moves to another place / location "external geography" to change their inner selfs. In effect causing a physical journey.... a journey of actually moving from one place to another. "They will return to the place from which the came blessed and altered." They move just to find that they feel as a whole person from the place they started or were born in returning blessed by new experiances, knowledge and travel, altered physical, mentally and spiritually. Returning to the genii loci. "the search for the genii loci" The search for the one place that makes you feel as one. In other words it is sort of like self discovery... the topic we did for preliminary.
This is the stuff our teacher mentioned in class.. He made it sound silly but he has drummed it into our minds. And it makes perfect sence.. it is no longer a mumble of words. This is also supported as true by reading the immigrant chronicle by peter skrzynecki same sort of thing... well similar. "genii" means belonging to "loci" means location/ history etc.

Hope i helped.... i helped myself by typing it out

miapants

HSC
genius: spirit (genii = plural of genius)
loci: place

the local spirit of a place

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)