The Upcoming Examination (1 Viewer)

HSC
Any last tips, etc?

Seeing as how I failed IPT MC, ima do the following:
- Read every MC minimum of 2 times, preferably 3, or more if it's confusing.

Also, when you get the 5 mins reading time, I generally fly through the stuff quickly if at all, and start on the MC straight away and remember the answers, to save time, and then quickly just write them all down when the time starts.
Anyone else do this?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Yeah, read every question 2 or 3 times.

My trick for solving some of those 'Which statement represents this diagram?' type questions is to immediately look for the differences in the answer and just check which difference is correct.

Legham

HSC
I usually take a look at the longer responses so i can start having a bit of a guideline being planned while i do the earlier questions..

ajdlinux

HSC
Yes, use reading time on long answers. MCs are very quick, but reading the long answers you can get a good feel for the exam quickly.

HSC
Yeh but the thing is, you start off with MC, so if I read the long response, I just forget them, and it serves me little purpose.
I'm not very grand on multi-tasking :p

Also, I'm so damn good :)P), that the second I read a long-response question, I can write a thesis on it :p
That's true for 95% of the questions, really is, so I'm never worried about long-response.

The only stuff that truly worries me, are diagramatical questions.

Also badly worded / illogical in today's world questions, which presumably have disappeared as of 2006.

Last edited:

ajdlinux

HSC
But you start off with MC and there's twenty of them most of which are really simple, so generally it's over in 10 minutes.

Then there's the rest of the exam, and it's good to have an idea of what sort of things you have to try to remember and begin thinking about response structure.

I can write pretty good answers immediately after reading, but I choose to read them in advance, to make them very good ;)

Now back to studying SDVH...

HSC
Hmmm intersting :p

Also everyone,

Excel Book said:
.In Australia, the copyright amendment (computer programs) bill 1999 allows for decompilation of computer programs to create compatible products if the software developer has not provided the information.
Documpolation is also allowed to correct errors in a program if an error-free version is not available, and to test the security of a program.
Bahahaahhahaha, both thoe apply to Microsuck!

Winblows can be decompiled because either:
A) Microsuck doesn't provide the necessary information about how it works
B) It has a quadrillion bugs which are never fixed.

Ahaahaha, this is awesome :D

I wish there existed a compiler, capable of actually creating a high level source code from windows libraries ><

ajdlinux

HSC
Just to continue pointing out errors in textbooks, a mere Bill doesn't do anything - the Copyright Amendment (Computer Programs) Bill 1999 didn't do anything, it was the Copyright Amendment (Computer Programs) Act 1999.

One of the better laws the Howard government passed :)

Anyway, this could be useful if we get asked a question on the social and ethical issues connected with reverse engineering tomorrow.

HSC
Yes, I will say, "The Australian & International laws make it legal for me to reverse engineer Microsoft Windows software, because they do not provide the necessary documentation for me to make a file explorer and browser, with the same level of system intergration as Microsoft Internet Explorer".

I'll say that, just for the lulz :D
And the fact that it's 100% true.

Beege

HSC
My algorithms will be average tomorrow. I'll do the best I can at them though but I'm fine with the diagrams etc. Anyone here doing evolution of programming languages? stupid paradigms especially the functional one wtf

ajdlinux

HSC
I hate the algorithms we have to memorise.

I do SDVH but I'd have preferred to do EPL as I'm more a computer science-y person and I'd like to learn about logic and functional languages.

HSC
ajdlinux said:
I hate the algorithms we have to memorise.
What? What algorithms do we need to memorise?!?!

If you're talking about the sorts, we aren't expected to know them, as in, write them out - however we are supposed to recognise them, which is RIDICULOUSLY simple.

ajdlinux said:
I do SDVH but I'd have preferred to do EPL as I'm more a computer science-y person and I'd like to learn about logic and functional languages.
Well you got the Excel book, so you still can. I also wanted to learn both of them, but I forgot lol :p

I will after the HSC.

Last edited:

Beege

HSC
Awesome we don't have to write out the searches and sorts, fucking relief. Now I can focus on how they all work plus actually performing sorts on numbers etc. i.e the passes.

HSC
Note, when I said we don't have to remember sorts, I said that only and only in relation to the insertion, selection and bubble.

You are most certainly expected to do a linear and quite possibly a binary, but I doubt it.

Also, I am only 99.99% sure of this.

ajdlinux

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
What? What algorithms do we need to memorise?!?!

If you're talking about the sorts, we aren't expected to know them, as in, write them out - however we are supposed to recognise them, which is RIDICULOUSLY simple.

Well you got the Excel book, so you still can. I also wanted to learn both of them, but I forgot lol :p

I will after the HSC.
Yeah, I meant recognise. I just have trouble with selection and insertion as they're confusing.

And no, I don't have the Excel book ;) I do have an SDD textbook but it's too late.

LatK7

HSC
I'm all set, i'm hoping to own Evolution option, got 20/20 in cssa trial. So hopefully i can do it again!

Then again, it was easy.

HSC
ajdlinux said:
Yeah, I meant recognise. I just have trouble with selection and insertion as they're confusing.
Ok, listen up good. Our class, well mostly teacher, tough us some simple logic to differentiate between the 3 big sorts.

- Bubble
- Insertion
- Selection

Insertion
Extremely easy to tell from the other two, because it doesn't have a swap, whereas the other two do.

Bubble vs Selection
Bubble compares index with index+1 and uses these two values for swaps.
...Where as....
Selection compares index to largest value, and swaps two random indexes.

Last edited:

Gigabyte89

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Note, when I said we don't have to remember sorts, I said that only and only in relation to the insertion, selection and bubble.

You are most certainly expected to do a linear and quite possibly a binary, but I doubt it.

Also, I am only 99.99% sure of this.
I'm 99.99% sure that its linear and binary searches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)