The Usage Of The Word- "BLOODY" In Tourism Ads. (1 Viewer)

davin

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Shows how much any of you know about Australia.

Australia is the second largest exporter of camels in the world, next to the Arab states.
my point has nothing to do with the actual numbers, just perception

HotShot

-_-
HSC
katie_tully said:
Shows how much any of you know about Australia.

Australia is the second largest exporter of camels in the world, next to the Arab states.
lol, firstly how many arab states are there? quite a few.

saudi- maybe export 1000 camels
australia - maybe export 1 camel

think ratio..

2nd largest has no meaning.

K

katie_tully

saudi- maybe export 1000 camels
australia - maybe export 1 camel

think ratio..

2nd largest has no meaning.
Do you close your eyes, hit the keyboard, and hope for the best?

davin

HSC
N/A
MRCUNT said:
apparently the concept of a ratio confuses you

side note, can anyone dig up something on camel exports for numerous nations? every search i try ends up with predominantly australian exports

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, I'm currently at uni in the UK so I have got the other end of the story so to speak. I personally think it is ridiculous, but OFCOM and the regulators here are a bit stricter than we are in Australia I think... that stiff upper lip thing still does apply. Bloody is considered offensive over here and at the BBC and other tv/media companies it's what we call a "referrable word"... meaning that to use it in a program or show requires clearance from a higher authority and it can impact what viewing classification it gets. It's a word that is apparently is quite offensive to Catholics, and one has to remember when we are talking about Britain that includes Northern Ireland so I think there are always many sensitivities that have to be considered in regards to that situation there.

I personally think it's a storm in a teacup and have no problem with the ads. I think you would find the overwhelming majority of poms would have no problem either. It's just the regulators trying to not step on people's toes. But really, the ban has actually generated more publicity than any normal TV ad could, so it's pretty effective advertising!

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Just about any native English speaker will use the word bloody.

Last edited:

davin

HSC
N/A
Sparcod said:
Just about any native English speaker will use the word bloody.
not neccessarily.....its not common at all for the us, and i'd suspect canada would be similar

davin

HSC
N/A
its that i would theorise that canadian english shares greater similarities with the united states than with either australia or england, hense my theory that 'bloody' is equally unused in canada

Analyst

HSC
In my opinion, Bloody's a Bloody good word to use in such advertisement. The problem will come when my son starts saying it at the age of 4, due to watching it said on TV. We are all responsible for our generations to come, not just the time we live in.

kimmi06

HSC
HotShot said:
are u dumb? the ad is for overseas inviting them to take a holiday in Australia. thats why the ad is gay.
Riiiight...because it would be completely ridiculous and unintelligent to promote tourism for Australia, wouldn't it.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
reasoning being?
that ad's target audience are people overseas not in australia and thus should be addressed appropriately to them, to attract them to visit australia. rather then let them ponder whether the term 'bloody' is appropriate or not. as i said the VB ad is awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)