The use of media articles for Human Rights (1 Viewer)

Examine

same
HSC
So in the actual HSC, the HR topic is present in the multiple choice and short answers. Is it expected that you integrate media articles into your responses to the short answers?

master_mind1

HSC
Uni Grad
depends on the question and how much the question is worth in terms of marks. Anything requiring more than about 3 lines, you generally should add some media articles/laws/case-studies if you want to score in the top band.

Examine

same
HSC
depends on the question and how much the question is worth in terms of marks. Anything requiring more than about 3 lines, you generally should add some media articles/laws/case-studies if you want to score in the top band.
So even with relevant cases and legislation media articles are still needed to receive full marks?

Myans

HSC
So even with relevant cases and legislation media articles are still needed to receive full marks?
In the 2012 HSC, the Contemporary Issue question solely focused on Media for 5 Marks. But with relevant cases and legislation, you can definitely access full marks for a 6 or 7 marker, provided you answer the question thoroughly. But if integrating a Media Report supports your argument or bulks up your answer, by all means do it to show the marker you know more than the average Joe.

But it is not expected unless it is explicitly asked for.

HSC
While they might not be absolutely essential, especially if you're running out of time, there are some really great media articles that you could incorporate to differentiate your answers, and show the marker that you have a thorough understanding of the content.

This is especially important for contemporary issues questions, but also helps in terms of analysis for longer response questions on Human Rights instruments (which was the 7-8 marker in the 2011 Independent paper, if I recall correctly), or maybe even a longer response question on the development of human rights over time (slavery, peace rights, environment etc.).

Articles written by prominent academics are ones you should look out for, because naming them and referring briefly to their analysis, even in 1-2 lines, may just give you that extra bit of depth in a really specific longer response question.

enoilgam

HSC
So in the actual HSC, the HR topic is present in the multiple choice and short answers. Is it expected that you integrate media articles into your responses to the short answers?
I had a look through the Marking Criteria and the Notes from the Marking centre and both make no mention of LCMR being an expectation for the human rights questions. So I dont think they are needed for those responses. However, as has has been mentioned above, quickly discussing one or two here or there couldnt hurt. I wouldnt try and force them into the response though, I would only add them if you have included enough relevant detail into the question, since the responses are quite short.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)