the way it works... (1 Viewer)

mishka

HSC
N/A
ok, i'm guessing here is an appropriate place to put this...

i've just started tutoring a year 8 kid in maths, and i just wanted to know, from people who have tutored, or who have been tutored, what usually happens in a typical session.

is it more the tutor explaining, or more practical stuff?? i've done two weeks with them already, and it seems to be going fine, but afterwards i'm thinking "maybe i should have shut up more". i always tell them that at any time, they can ask anything that they're unsure on, and they seem to be getting stuff, so i guess i'm doing something ok...

any advice, or pointers?? :) thanks in advance. :D

Ghost1788

HSC
umm.. i dunno how this may work for u but i find that the good tutors read your body language with out u knowing and slow down. Also when i dunt understand sumthing they relate it to sumthing else or explain it in sumthing that i understand

Tegz

HSC
my tutor just went thru old test papers n did all the talking.. i was happy to just sit there n hope sum of his knowledge rubbed off. chances r that if theres certain things they want to know theyll ask.. otherwise just keep on explaining n make sure there understanding occasionally by throwing in the odd question.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
is this private tutoring? i never went tutoing in yr 8, but this is what i think i would do if i was tutoring someone

well anyways, best to know where he's up to at school and try to get ahead. so when he comes to learning it again at school, it's more like revision or it'll just come more easily to him.

in a lesson, probably go through the theory [and make sure he understands, or make it very clear to him that if he doesn't understand anything he can stop you and ask], and let him take notes, and then do some practise Q's/examples with him.
it'll be easier if you gave him sheets with the theory [ie. rules, etc] on it so he can refer to it while you talk, and scrible anything he feels will make him remember/understand more easily.
and then give him some questions, and get him to do it. if he doesn't udnerstand it, he can ask you, and then you can see where he got confused, and go through that part again. or you can give him a hint, and if he still doesn't get it, then go through it. don't be afraid to give him harder Q's.
at the end of the lesson, if you want, you can summarise everything you did in the lesson vocally. just to help him remember.
if the section of the topic you're doing doesn't fit into one lesson, then i guess you'll have to split it into two. or if the new part relates to the previous section, then have like a quick review of what you had done before.
and just sometimes remind him he needs to review the work. or give him some hw Q's to do, so he's actually practising everything, rather than going to the lesson and not doing anything and then forgetting about it all later [which is what i tend to do now]
maybe at the end of a topic, you could give him a short test? let him have practise in time management

anyways, that's just what i'd do. but everyone has different teaching/learning methods that work best with them. so yeah :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)