the woes of stagnation (1 Viewer)

case88

HSC
Well, it's May and I've recently finished my second draft. Up until now, i have been deeply immersed in my project... but now it has come to a stand still. I have no idea what to do next. I'm no longer researching... not because i'm getting lazy, but simply because i can't think of what else to do.
What's everyone else up to? Any ideas to relieve this stage of stagnation that i'm experiencing?

J

jhakka

I would think that if you've finished your second draft, most of your research would be done and you'd be up to polishing and restructuring now.

Having said that, though, I did a short story rather than a critical response, so I don't know how helpful that is.

pungemo

HSC
If you can't see what needs to be done maybe someone else can. I recommend giving a copy to a number of people you know and trust to give honest feedback. Get them to tell you what it need, point out any trouble spots, etc. If the overall piece seems satisfactory to them all then look at spit and polish. Add a few small details from ongoing research and just try to make it more readable. Use the time you have available but don't feel you need to add anything.

case88

HSC
thanks guys.
i've actually given my draft to a few people, and am just waiting for some feedback. I know that having time is a good thing, but it's just intimidating when everyone else is feverishly researching/composing. However, i will take on board your advice and start deconstructing my own work.

nahian

HSC
Haha
Case im in your position except I'm yet to start my 2nd draft
I am really stuck fuck!

HSC
N/A
Start it now, sillyhead! :p

May I say for the record that a scathing critique is an excellent motivator. :uhhuh:

Alternatively, threats work really well too, if you have things to hide/close friends who are willing to convincingly blackmail you :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)