The "WTF WAS THAT XTRA EASY" were all goinna get shit scaling thread.... (1 Viewer)

HSC
The "WTF WAS THAT XTRA EASY" were all goinna get shit scaling thread....

I wrote 8 booklets (from end to end) because I had so much time.... Everybody is saying it was very easy, even the option topic was easy.... (it just took thought) THE MULTIPLE CHOISE GAVE YOU THE ANSWER MOST OF THE TIME!!??

BOS has dropped the ball on this one....

Comment.....

Ghost1788

HSC
yea i reckon they should have made it harder
the standard was way low this year

LordSeafood

HSC
Of course the multiple choice will give you the answer :rolleyes: thats how it is with every multiple choice question in the HSC :cool:

HSC
I thought if more people get a higher mark, there is a very close range between each person, (ie not a good discriminator) hence minimal scaling.

HSC
i finished the whole thing in just over 2 hours (i started on c in 25 looked at the clock - oh i got an hour to do this question in)

i used 7 writing books - most of my second ones were half full or a page (4 page booklets). i used my extra time to go though all my answers - found two mistakes in multiple choice, made my english a bit clearer.

i thik the scaling won't be as good as other years, but it shouldn't be scaled down at least for our uai. i think bos will play with it first

MarsBarz

HSC
I studied a whole week. And for what? For BULLSHIT EASY QUESTIONS THAT ARE ALL SCENARIO BASED, DO NOT TEST ANY OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE, ARE NOT SYLLABUS RELATED AND ARE JUST PLAIN FUCKING STUPIDLY EASY.

Right I'll just try and be clam ASDGTW#$^NSG.

Honestly, why make questions which are so fucking broad and so god damn non-sensicaly easy.

For example, let's examine the multiple choice:

10. Which of the following topics should be included in a manual for first-time users of a web browser?
(a) Data flow diagram
(b) IPO diagrams
(c) Screen navigation
(d) variables and data types

WTF IS THE POINT?! My grandma who's never touched a PC would know the answer to such obvious common sensical rubbish.

Honestly, I finished the multiple choice in under 10 minutes and I was absolutly certain about my answers to every single question. Not even a doubt. That's how easy it was. All just pure common sense. Anyone who's computer litterate should have gotten 20 for that.

And then we go on to usual boring predictable scenario question that hardly test your actual knowledge of the course. Oh by the way, good on you for including like 3 algorithms you pricks. Oh and by the way? The algorithms were idiotic. That's rigth, you get 0 for creativity BOS. Oh and that kid's sorting method was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It was completely redundant and didn't achieve anything. By the way I loved how ambiguous question 21.c.ii was. Real good. Don't tell us exactly what to do, that way we spend 10 minutes trying to decifer through that kid's idiotic methodology and realising that well, it doesn't do anything and that you just have to do a basic sort all by yourself. Real nice.

Oh yay, question 22, an adventure game woopdidoo. Whatever. Another lame scenario question which doesn't require any knowledge of the course. Then it continues with another boring bogus algorithm questions.

Balh blah question 23, same old same old. All this so far has been basic year 11 stuff, even some year 10 stuff.

Oh question 24. Finally we get to the year 12 bit. Option topics. I like how you made it all nice and simple. So that people who have no idea can just guess and ramble on. Real good. Yadiyadiya...

The people who made the exam are losers. Any study which I would have done this year was redundant. Well done for creating another SDD exam where no knowledge is required.

nishkak

HSC
i just used the four 4 page bookslets they gave me, cover to cover - didnt need more, clear concise answeres - wouldn't be surprised to get over 95 raw - not that we ever find out what we get raw...

aaaman

Banned
HSC
the exam was GOLD mate GOLD, it was differnt from last yr but still GOLD. but wheres the maths??? whats the point of asking of no calculators when your not gonna add anything mathematical fuckheads

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
i cant believe people found it easy. it was so different to what i had studied that i just went into a mental blank. i wish i didnt study at all

HSC
MarsBarz said:
I studied a whole week. And for what? For BULLSHIT EASY QUESTIONS THAT ARE ALL SCENARIO BASED, DO NOT TEST ANY OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE, ARE NOT SYLLABUS RELATED AND ARE JUST PLAIN FUCKING STUPIDLY EASY.

Honestly, I finished the multiple choice in under 10 minutes and I was absolutly certain about my answers to every single question. Not even a doubt. That's how easy it was. All just pure common sense. Anyone who's computer litterate should have gotten 20 for that.

that way we spend 10 minutes trying to decifer through that kid's idiotic methodology and realising that well, it doesn't do anything and that you just have to do a basic sort all by yourself. Real nice

The people who made the exam are losers. Any study which I would have done this year was redundant. Well done for creating another SDD exam where no knowledge is required.
here here!

But the one with the sort actually very much made sense.... You had to do a sort for lines 4 and 5 his was split into two arrays (arrayone arraytwo) and then that was merged by comparing the current position of the first one to the current value of the second one (ie they change value as one may choose the other more often)

I did something like this (btw this doesnt have the other half, just the sorting bit)

position1 = 1
position2 = 1
count = 1
while count <= length
if arrayone(position1) < arraytwo(position2) then
finalarray(count) = arrayone(position1)
increment position1
else
finalarray(count) = arraytwo(position2)
increment position2
end if
increment count
endwhile

8 booklets for me, was a realtively good paper
Same there was too much time!!

LordSeafood

HSC
aaarrgh said:
thats news... what does it have to do with?
It has to do with how everyone else scores. because this was a relatively easy test everyone will get higer marks and therefor scaling will be next to non existent.

Well thats my general understanding of it.

MarsBarz

HSC
LordSeafood said:
It has to do with how everyone else scores. because this was a relatively easy test everyone will get higer marks and therefor scaling will be next to non existent.

Well thats my general understanding of it.
Yeah because it was an easy exam a few marks can make a huge difference which sucks.

Iceman145

Unimelb
HSC
This paper was weird. The multiple choice was easy, true, but the rest of the paper so didn't test knowledge of the course - it was all weird crap. Culturally acceptable software programs? How modularisation has anything to do with that? i mean, what the hell???? i know most of the course inside out, and BOS decides to jump me with this crap, which gives me no advantage over anyone else who bullshits their way through the paper?.

MarsBarz, FYI, the sort the student used was a Merge Sort. Very efficient sorting algorithm that we don't study in the syllabus. only about a million times faster than the bubble sort, and like the second fastest sort ever.

DoubleD

....Theonly One
HSC
matthewm said:
I did something like this (btw this doesnt have the other half, just the sorting bit)

position1 = 1
position2 = 1
count = 1
while count <= length
if arrayone(position1) < arraytwo(position2) then
finalarray(count) = arrayone(position1)
increment position1
else
finalarray(count) = arraytwo(position2)
increment position2
end if
increment count
endwhile
I know i didnt take it into consideration...
BUT on that sorting question i hope people realised the arrays were like this:
if the final array needs to be 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 the acual split arrays were like:

1: 1 6 7 8
2: 2 3 4 5
(ok thats a slight exageration)
But my point was you couldnt just select the first number from each array and insert it and expect the final solution to be in the correct order.
From what i could see you basically had to resort the entire array again to get it right.. which i felt was BS so did it similar to you :)

let n = length of array1
let finalarray = empty array
let b = 1
let i = 1
WHILE (b<=n)
IF array1 < array2
finalarray = array1
finalarray[i+1]=array2
ELSE
finalarray = array2
finalarray[i+1]=array1
END IF
i = i + 2
b = b+1
WEND

Ok thats not psuedocode there but thats close enough right now.. i didnt take into account my order comments either as you can see.. i just hope to get 4/5 maybe or something as i've got all the components there, just the final array doesnt end up perfect.

-=DD32=-

Madmang

Macintosh Mainframe
HSC
That sorting of words algorithm was annoying because I know they wanted an oversimplification but I hated writing array1<array2 when I knew we were dealing with strings. Does anyone else share my dispassion for pseudocode? I particularly dislike the BoS's attitude to FOR loops - if you check the past papers - their ideas about how they function are incorrect or based on FutureBasic or something...

I agree there was a fair bit of time but I must have spent an hour drawing circuit diagrams at the end. I reckon they should have given us 8 page booklets, if I had written any less then the exam would have been too short and I only didn't need another booklet on one question, as absolutely everyone in my class also found.

DoubleD

....Theonly One
HSC
Iceman145 said:
Culturally acceptable software programs? How modularisation has anything to do with that? i mean, what the hell????
Well think moderalisation, things get divided down, if a certain piece of text isnt acceptable in one culture or the language is different you could drop a different language module in and have all the messages pulled from that, same with graphics, it would allow you to modify all language and images fro the one place.

Iceman145 said:
the sort the student used was a Merge Sort. Very efficient sorting algorithm that we don't study in the syllabus. only about a million times faster than the bubble sort, and like the second fastest sort ever.
F??k.. Personally i've never seen it before and really couldnt see how it was more efficient if it was spliting it into seperate arrays, then combining them and resortnig them, and then recombining again and sorting once more.. My main point in discussing that was the fact that memory and cpu time would be wasted with memory address efining as the new arrays would have to be redefined and crap like that :)

-=DD32=-

DoubleD

....Theonly One
HSC
Madmang said:
but I hated writing array1<array2 when I knew we were dealing with strings.

You can sort strings alphanumerically like that in alot of major programming languages these days i think.

Madmang said:
Does anyone else share my dispassion for pseudocode? I particularly dislike the BoS's attitude to FOR loops - if you check the past papers - their ideas about how they function are incorrect or based on FutureBasic or something...
Well these days you can pass allmost anything off as psuedocode.. it sucks.. and FOR Loops.. they really are useful in programming, however their only really simplified WHILE loops..

I did Evo of languages personally.. and i didnt feel a need to write in a 2nd booklet for any question.. allthough i came to the last page twice.. and my writing is rather small, not huge scrawl :)

-=DD32=-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)