theory time! (1 Viewer)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
ok so you've all handed in your BoW's to be shipped off and scrutinized by those strange marker types. now it's just theory.

what sort of stuff hve you all been researching/working on? any particular areas of interest/favourite stuff -- artists, movements, exhibitions, etc?

oh, and who (dis)likes theory? i had friends that hated it, but it was perhaps my favourite half of the course.

tash

lalalala
HSC
i think theory's good i just don't like how it's taught by my teacher cos she's boring as hell and continuously says 'um' all the time. but the info is really interesting.

we're basically just practicing questions now, esp the essays, how to write them, etc. our case studies were based on the figure in art history, postmodernism and contemporary art, the development of materials and mediums, sculpture in history/contemporary art, andpostmodernism in general. i like the figure in western art, that was really good

kokeshi

HSC
N/A
I'm rather weak at theory so it's obvious I don't like it too much. Frames are fine. I think it's the conceptual framework I have trouble with.

natstar, what cases studies did you do last year? I'm wondering if you could show me some of your essays/notes?

tash

lalalala
HSC
Originally posted by natstar
I actually, dare i say "enjoyed" writing art essays for some reason. *gulp*
lol so do i! i get so payed out for it cos my other art friends hate it. i don't know why i find writing these so much more fascinating than writing ancient history or english essays...but then again i really don't like those subjects

pri

HSC
N/A
Im not good at 'artist practise' questions

my case studies are

the nude- john berger (critic)
Feminism and art
Frida Kahlo
Jeff Koons

yeh only 4...my teacher hasnt enuf time for five I wanna do modernism but I dont know how to go about it

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
iginally posted by pri
the nude- john berger (critic)
john berger is awesome! have you read his book "ways of seeing"?

and as far as case studies go, modernism would be pretty big. that's impressionism ---> the 1970's (although then there's the stuckists who reckon they're remodernists... :p). perhaps it'd be better to do one section/area?

like, my favourite case sudy from year 12 was on british art from the charles saatchi collection, from the past 10 years. then another one on works of art that had been attacked/vandalised (there's a really good website on that here, if you're interested).

so maybe it's just me, but modernism as a general concept might be a bit too wide ranging... narrow it down a bit?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by saladsurgery
so maybe it's just me, but modernism as a general concept might be a bit too wide ranging... narrow it down a bit?

yeah definitely..i think that the more specific you are in art theory the more interesting your writing will be. i chose to focus on contemporary art in modern japanese culture and how they've broken with traditions yet kept some of them

(that's just an example)

me and salad boy have some stuff up on BOS and i sent them more stuff aaaages ago but they never got put up, so if i have time i'll attach some files here later this week

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by johnson
me and salad boy have some stuff up on BOS and i sent them more stuff aaaages ago but they never got put up, so if i have time i'll attach some files here later this week
i should use my mod powers to put those notes on the database. i will, over then next few days.

pri

HSC
N/A
what about surrealism (thats part of modernism rite?)

I studied frida kahlo - who was a supposed surrealist, I suppose I could add dali and other ppl

pri

HSC
N/A

yeh its my fav case study. Ways of seeing is a great book, I reckon he makes very good points about how the female nude is depicted.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by pri
what about surrealism (thats part of modernism rite?)

I studied frida kahlo - who was a supposed surrealist, I suppose I could add dali and other ppl
yep
surrealism is part of podernism

and andr breton (considered by some to be the founder of surrealism) labelled kahlo a surrealist, but she said she wasn't -- claimed she painted life 'as she saw it" or something, there's a good quote on this somewhere...

tash

lalalala
HSC

that guy is sooooooooooo weird. we were watching a video on goya yesterday with him talking about goya's works and it was completely insane, but then again goya was pretty insane too. but berger is really weird in my opinion

pri

HSC
N/A
bergers vid on the nude is interesting..apparently a few years (ok 10) ago a girl at my skool had a crush on berger

bleeerrghh!!!!

tash

lalalala
HSC
Originally posted by pri
bergers vid on the nude is interesting..apparently a few years (ok 10) ago a girl at my skool had a crush on berger

bleeerrghh!!!!

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW that is disgusting he is so repulsive!i can't believe a girl would have a crush on him!that's kinda disturbing actually...

oh yeah we watched the nude thing, that was interesting but weird

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)