Thesis Statements on Imaginative Journeys (1 Viewer)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
What is a thesis statement?
velox said:
A thesis statement is a statement of your position on the issue you have chosen. It may be a sentence or two, and should announce what you want to argue. It should have three characteristics. *It should attempt to convince readers of something, change their minds about something, or urge them to do something. *It should address a problem for which no easy solution exists or ask a question to which no absolute answer exists. *It should present a position that readers could disagree with realistically. It should be so clear that it leaves no doubt in your mind or the reader's mind about what stand you are going to take about the issue, or what the issue is.

Statements
+ Imaginative journeys take us into worlds of inspiration, speculation and imagination

+Imaginative journeys broaden the mind to allow the understanding of the world

Last edited:

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
ok, you asked a question and answered it yourself, what do you want others to answer? or are you just giving us info or a statement?

*Georgia*

HSC
synonyms for imaginative journey?

hey does anyone know a way/s i can rephrase "imaginative journeys?" because my essay repeats it in just about every sentence.

Cassi_Lynne

HSC
*Georgia* - 'imaginative journey' is a buzz phrase. Use it as often as possible.

kimmeh - Thanks for the phases, they were helpful.

pigman13 - I beg to differ. It is you, pigman, who is the idiot.

-Cassi

gelina

HSC
Agreed.

Although those statements were simple, they've ensured me that my thesis statement is not so dim-witted after all. :)

Thanks!

Anyone got any more?

Heh.
"Imaginative journeys allow responders to expand the limitations of the mind, providing an intricate insight for their adult life."
Sorry, it was a joke a friend of mine made. Yes, bad theses are the subject of our nerdy jokes.

gwemma88

HSC
Well now everyone at my school has finished the AoS i think it safe to tell you about my assignment in case you have a similar one.

We had to give a seminar on imaginative journeys including a visual representation and related texts. I stood out the front, holding a bunch of helium ballons and started....

" These balloons here {point to balloons} are filled with helium; they are filled with potential. When I release them, they are set free. They are free to do whatever they want to do. Free to travel wherever they want to travel. And free to become whatever they want to become.

The imagination does not have restrictions. It can do whatever it wants; it can travel wherever it wants and on an imaginative journey, it can become whatever it wants. Imagining is becoming. "

And i continued my speech. After i spoke about each text, i concluded that text by saying "imagining is becoming childhood fantasies" or "imagining is becoming limitless" or whatever the text indicated and then i symbolically released one helium ballon.

I marked really well for this and my comments were on the originality of the idea.

Feel free to use this idea (unless you are at Brigidine St Ives) and have fun with the balloons.

KiwiMountyGurl

HSC
thats a really cool idea/analogy. good thinking. i have a question though. For my speech, i was thinking of doin something similar. My assignment sheets says i can use dramatic techniques and visuals. so an analogy similar to that would fall under the 'dramatic techniques'right? Ive been trying to think of an idea like that, would a dog being off its lead be right?? or is that just dumb idea hahaha. Like when a dog is on its leash it is restricted but when it is off the leash it is not restricted and has endless possibilities?? Feedback appreciated :)

stumpyorange

HSC
umm ive got a speech due today on imaginative journeys and would like a quick reply if any one reads this:

is this a good thesis?

"Imaginative journeys foster change and growth within the audience."

the question is:
What has the study of your set text and a related text revealed about the power of imaginative journeys and the ways in which they challenge our thinking?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I used the thesis of something along the lines of

"Imaginative journeys let you create whatever you want in your head but in reality, time might not necessarily let you change anything or achieve anything so you go nowhere and learn nothing"

It was difficult to get my head around it but if anyone has read" The Great Gatsby", you'll see what I mean.

flyingemu

HSC
need a thesis for imaginative journeys relating to time travel can anyone help?

:bomb:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
desmond.thai said:
A Journey is the process of embarking from a place and undertaking a process of movement, change or self-discovery that result in arriving at a different place.

A journey can be imaginative, taking you through ideas and abstractions so that you arrive at a state of understanding.

:)

Pegasus Ezekiel

HSC
This is in reply to gwemma88. I am sorry to say but I do not approve of your balloon analogy. The hellium balloons have potential energy and upon their release they are no more free than when you were holding them. The balloons will be subjuct to the elements; the wind will ultimately control their movement making the balloons totally helpless. Also I imagine that you were inside a class room when you made this analogy so the balloons will be confined to the room.

I like to stay away form elaborate analogies and metaphors, esspecially during speeches. They are best used to explain somthing insirmountably complex.

babylupin

HSC
Pegasus Ezekiel said:
This is in reply to gwemma88. I am sorry to say but I do not approve of your balloon analogy. The hellium balloons have potential energy and upon their release they are no more free than when you were holding them. The balloons will be subjuct to the elements; the wind will ultimately control their movement making the balloons totally helpless. Also I imagine that you were inside a class room when you made this analogy so the balloons will be confined to the room.

I like to stay away form elaborate analogies and metaphors, esspecially during speeches. They are best used to explain somthing insirmountably complex.

it's not science...it's english...
i personally thought it was fantastic.
not every balloon would go in the same direction, except up, which makes it a great analogy for the fact your imagination can take you higher.

M

Mayuki

Pegasus Ezekiel said:

I beg to differ. The semiotics of the balloon analogy perfectly parallel the concepts that are intrinsicly associated with that of the imaginative journey. The concept of the journey is itself a metaphor.

Your application of physical principles to the balloon analogy undermines the purpose of the entire AoS. The imaginative journey is free of physical limitations; therein lies the beauty of it. By using an analogy to encompass the concept of an imaginative journey, it expresses the ability of the responder to transcend limitations and boundaries.

"[Metaphors and analogies] are best used to explain somthing insirmountably complex."

If the imaginative journey isn't 'insirmountably complex', I'll eat my hat.

Jake xSVHCx

HSC
i have a speech on friday and was just looking for some advice
question is
"A journey is one of discovery, as unique as the destination"
In my thesis i say that the journey is very important and that the destination is rather irrelevent
i support this by saying that self growth happens on the journey and blah blah and that the journey is simply the end point
and in fact can be changed by the journey as it evolves
is this a good way to go?
feedback please
wb
love
jake
xoxoxoxox

emca

HSC
I love the baloon idea. I kinda wish you had finished with the last balloon by sucking the healium out and then saying "like whatever" But i dont know why. Alternatively , conclude by lifting up a dumb bell and droping it as a comparison for for the failing of those who choose to not use their imaginations. But you'd have to say something about it being a dumb bell because I dont think too many teachers would get the dumb bit but it has made me laugh

doofyduck01

HSC
Our class had to do an essay, was simple with no specific question...but this is part of my my thesis/intro if anyone's interested...

Imaginative journeys are created in the mind. They are fictitious manifestations, with fantastical qualities that could only occur in the realm of our mind.

The impossible happens.

Through the imaginative journey self discovery eventuates and perspectives are changed. It can take the reader to new worlds, and allow readers escapism from reality.

there was other stuff and my texts but i think that sums it up :)

mike250

HSC
babylupin said:
it's not science...it's english...
i personally thought it was fantastic.
not every balloon would go in the same direction, except up, which makes it a great analogy for the fact your imagination can take you higher.
I agree.

As good english students (leaving science well out of the 'equation', so to speak) it must be noted that over-analysing just leads to bad things.

I thought her analogy was orginal and provocative. Immidiately, I had vision of the balloons climbing higher and higher, the wind blowing them in everywhich direction possible, the helium as indicative of 'imagination' guiding their journey into the unknown. Kudos to you gwen.

An ENGLISH marker is most certainly not going to chastise the student for the scientific limitations of their metaphor/symbol/allegory/analogy. In fact, I'm of the opinion that these techniques are quite central to the SUBVERSIOn of scientific limitation which in 'English-y' terms, makes it beautiful.

That's my two cents anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)