This forum is going downhill, fast! (1 Viewer)

Golani

It's becomining a prediction board. People, buy the damn program and get all your answers.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It has almost always been a prediction board :)

Smurf133

I think its totally the opposite of a prediction board, the idea isn't to get all the answers but to get an idea on how you will go at the end and also to help with any questions ppl may have, or even worries that are freaking them out.

Golani

That's right.
1) It wasn't always a preditction board, it wasn't so when i started coming here.
2) This board isn't aobut individual information, rather than a group-help board.

You can't ask a question anymore because by the time you come back to look for an answer you find that your thread is gone and there are aobut 20 new prediction topics.

Enough is enough

Smurf133

The reason why its a prediction board and ur msg's get lost because of all the new thread is because ppl are just trying to get the most posts and they don't care what they write about aslong as they are in the thousands, ppl like that should get booted i recon, they help nobody's cause.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i agree people should buy UAISeeker. it's actually really fucking useful. 15 bucks for unlimited usage! come on people!! sweet deal!! all the uai obsessing you can get for a low low price.

it also helps you to actually UNDERSTAND the process.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Golani
You can't ask a question anymore because by the time you come back to look for an answer you find that your thread is gone and there are aobut 20 new prediction topics.

Enough is enough
The majority of answers are already in all the sticky's.

Golani

Laz or Minai, this is where you guys come in :(
stop it pls, or make a new separate forum for predictions :cool:

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Hmm...people posting prediction threads help us understand the process better. It's sort of like...the questions in a textbook. Personally, i like seeing what marks get what and why.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
For your information, It takes about 2-3 days for a post to move to the next page. If someone cannot keep up with that, I worry about you...

People like to have judgements of their marks and usually in mosts post it isn't just a UAI prediction. It's advice on How to improve, What to improve first and whether their aim is too high/low.

It's more of an inciteful and inspirational forum if you ask me.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Mmm, I'm afraid I have to agree with Golani.

The prime purpose of this forum is to provide information and explanations regarding the scaling processes and so on, and not to predict the UAIs of individual students. Originally, the predictions were only done by moderators who understood the process - I had instructed them to only give predictions where for some reason the UAISeeker program could not be used. This kept prediction threads to a minimum.

Now that a number of users have gained an insight into the process as well (at least to an extent), that instruction appears to have been lost, and the forum is now rampant with panicking students wanting vague reassurances. Whilst I feel the understanding far outweighs the irritation, it's still a problem that needs to be addressed.

There are also a vast number of questions that could potentially be asked which the sticky posts wouldn't answer - there are some that I wouldn't be able to answer (though I'm working on that). Fortunately, they haven't been asked yet; but that doesn't mean they won't be. :)

Possible actions:

1) Ban all forum predictions.
The UAISeeker can be used by students to predict their UAIs instead. The downside to this is that many students would be unhappy with the decision (whether or not that unhappiness is justified). There are also certain rare situations in which, for varying reasons, the UAISeeker is not appropriate for a particular student.

2) Allow only 'non-UAISeeker-able' predictions.
This option would deal with the last negative point mentioned above. It does, however, have the potential to spiral out of control, as has already happened - particularly if knowledgeable users keep responding to prediction threads. This option would also retain the advantages outlined in Ragerunner's last post.

3) Keep the present situation.
See posts in this thread for pros/cons.

4) Create a separate forum for predictions.
The only reason I don't like this solution is that it would simply encourage more predictions. There are already too many. It would deal with the current problem rather nicely, but it would also create other problems of its own.

5) Other.

What are your thoughts?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I don't think everyone can pay for the UAISeeker.

I know at one time i wanted to buy it but have no way of doing it. Parents won't let me use credit card because they fear of hackers getting the number etc...

It was only after i got a bank account that i could buy it unless of course you do money order/cheque which you have to mail it.

Banning forum predictions is going to be pretty darn hard. People will just create an account then post one then everyday the admins will have to remove the posts. And i mean everyday!

A separate forum may be feasible but then thats still encouraging predictions. Which would probably be the best bet of the 4 choices considering banning UAI predictions is going to be a hard job.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
i reckon Bos should petition the UAC to get rid of the UAI altogether :p

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yeah lets not have universities :)

INSTEAD we can all do TAFE!!!

fantastic idea! :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Although a new "Prediction" forum would solve the current problem, I believe most students can predict their own UAI's now anyway, based on:
- The information in the sticky's
- Report on Scaling 2002
- The threads "2002 UAI's" and "2002 HSC Marks"
This is assuming they do not want to purchase the UAISeeker, which I strongly reckon they should

Golani

Hmm...people posting prediction threads help us understand the process better. It's sort of like...the questions in a textbook
I'd have to strongly disagree on this mate. The thing is that when a person asks to make a judgement about his uai the answer conerns him and only him. Even if he asks how to improve and other more in-depth questions, they still only concern his particular scenario, and therefore aren't beneficial for the whole of the forum members.

This is why i think that in relation to Laz's plan, option number 4 is optimal, so that no person is deprvied of a prediction, leaving this forum prediction-free. Since you guys are already recruiting, you could just get some knowledge-ful individuals to moderate that forum for you, and you would just supervise the proceedings (and no, i'm not offering myself :p ).
However, i know that Laz has been involved in creating UAISeeker, i would also have to assume that he has some sort of stake in the sales of UAISeeker (e.g. in the form of commission). In that case, my business sense dictates that for your sake Laz, go with option number 2, only allow those with specific, extraordinary issues, ban all other predictions. Life is a biatch.

The decision is yours...

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
But i'm sure you know that most people don't even read the sticky's.

And in fact I believe that people tell their friends to come on this forum for sole purpose of asking for a prediction.

As i said, most predictions aren't just predictions. They are also helpful hints for the person as well as advice on how they should approach their work.

A new forum for that would be feasible and leaving the original UAI/HSC forum for those who have questions about scaling etc.. as stated by the caption.. which ironically people shouldn't ask if they read the sticky's.

Last edited:

Golani

And in fact I believe that people tell their friends to come on this forum for sole purpose of asking for a prediction.
You're supporting my points either way. This leads to a mass of people coming here asking for predictions, it's annoying, it floods the forum with individualistic, predominantly irrelevant issues for the rest of us. Besides, ir's cheap and slack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)