This post is in reference to Capped Subjects and how bands effect it (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Ok, one of the teachers told me this, and i think he does know his stuff, but this is the reason why some courses have lower Band 6 candidates, He said it's primarily dependent on if you get the Band 6 Type questions correct, so say for example you achieved 80% in a subject, and did not answer the questions which were Band 6 type, your not a Band 6 student then. But he based it around Software Design and Development, if your an SDD Student and read a post in the forum like about last year saying they would refine and re-look the syllabus for the 2004 candidates, this is a good example, the reason there weren't as many Band 6 students previous years was primarily because there weren't enough questions in the examination written to suit criteria of a band 6 in SDD, so in theory, they either write a few more questions which is considered to fall under Band 6 or they refine the requirements of a Band 6 student.

After saying all this nonsense, i can come to a conclusion to say that no subjects are capped, more or so they just don't have that many Band 6 questions in the exam paper, and no one will know whether a question is Band 6 or not, because the markers come together to determine which one is a Band 6, so perhaps Standard English, Senior Science, etc... just have a few Band 6 questions, and most people never got them correct.

So in theory getting 80 % doesnt gurantee a Band 6, unless you get the majority of Band 6 type questions correct.

Don't take my word for it, but it seems logical, yet silly, because i was always thinking that Bands, determine the marks range.

Jeo

winston, i think you are wrong.

you could answer every question other than band-6 q's and get a band6. because in the end, its ur mark that counts. the question that a band 6 supposed to answer simply has more marks allocated to it.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Jesh
winston, i think you are wrong.

you could answer every question other than band-6 q's and get a band6. because in the end, its ur mark that counts. the question that a band 6 supposed to answer simply has more marks allocated to it.

Ohhh i'm not sure a teacher told me it, he seems pretty erudite, but i'm not sure so yeah...

^___^
HSC
the band 6 questions are the separate the "elites" of the course to the rest of the course, if u can answer all the band6 questions correctly, it is assumed that u have answered other questions correctly too...
but i think the overall mark that matters ur band..

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I would side with Winston.

Originally posted by Jesh
you could answer every question other than band-6 q's and get a band6.
This is not entirely true.

The judges would decide that a band 6 student would most likely receive full marks on questions of band 5 standard or less, and so the band 6 cut-off is pushed up to ensure that only those students who demonstrate performance at a band 6 level (by sufficiently answering band 6 questions) will achieve band 6.

The overall cut-off for band 6 is the sum of the band 6 cut-offs for individual questions.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
I would side with Winston.

This is not entirely true.

The judges would decide that a band 6 student would most likely receive full marks on questions of band 5 standard or less, and so the band 6 cut-off is pushed up to ensure that only those students who demonstrate performance at a band 6 level (by sufficiently answering band 6 questions) will achieve band 6.

The overall cut-off for band 6 is the sum of the band 6 cut-offs for individual questions.

So am i right Laz?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes - but be careful about explaining the low numbers of band 6 students entirely in terms of the mere quantity of band 6 questions.

Winston

HSC
Yes - but be careful about explaining the low numbers of band 6 students entirely in terms of the mere quantity of band 6 questions.
Well the teacher just said, in the previous yrs, it was difficult to actually categorise a question into Band 6 Criteria, because no question actually meets the Band 6 content.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yep, that's why the SDD criteria were revised (as I understand it).

My point was that you shouldn't generalise the explanation to all courses with low numbers of students achieving in band 6 - there can be other reasons.

Winston

HSC
Yep, that's why the SDD criteria were revised (as I understand it).

My point was that you shouldn't generalise the explanation to all courses with low numbers of students achieving in band 6 - there can be other reasons.
Oh i see what you mean, ahuh revising it aye?, i heard it applies to 2004 candidates only, not us ONCE AGAIN, thank you BOS :D... dammit, at least write the paper this yr to have more Band 6 related questions, would be better,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)