thomson's charge to mass ratio (1 Viewer)

lil_kimmy

can someone explain his experiment to me? i read the jacaranda text book but my teacher said it was wrong so now i'm completely confused!

mojako

HSC
it wasnt really wrong
strictly speaking it is a modified version of what Thomson did but almost every answer Ive seen do it that way so its ok I guess

Thomson actually didnt remove the electric field.. he let the rays go on... to a place where only the magnetic field exists

the one in Jacaranda assumes that the rays travelled horizontal in the first place without any need to use electric & magnetic field

speersy

HSC
N/A
Just a quick explanation

In the cathode ray tube thomson balanced out the magnetic and electric fields so that the cathode rays were not deflected. By equating the expressions for these forces he was able to calculate the velocity of the electrons.

He then swithched off the electric field and measured the radius of the particles deflection. He combined the centripetal force and magnetic force to arrive at the charge to mass ratio

NB It would be better if u used equations in your answer

sub

equate qvB = qE.
=> v = B/E
from magnetic field producing a circle: (mv^2)/r = qvB
rearrange and simplify both sides and u get q/m = (rB^2)/E (all of which are known constants)
r is found emipirically (from the circle formed by the magnetic field)

speersy

HSC
N/A
Just combine the Magnetic force equation (it has a B and sin(theta)) with F=qe to get the velocity then the centripetal force with the same magnetic one to get the charge to mass ratio (q/m)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
YEH
LOOK HOW CLOSE THE p is to the b on the keyboard
derrrrrrrrrrrrrr
obviously it was a typo

:shifty eyes:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)