Thoughts on CS + SWE? (1 Viewer)

jks22

HSC
Hey! I'm in the midst of doing my UAC application and I'm confused what course to pair with computer science (as a double degree). I've narrowed it down to actuarial studies, commerce, advanced mathematics or engineering (software)

Would it be redundant doing software engineering and computer science together or would it be a good combination? (as I've heard they are quite similar except software engineering has a couple extra courses)

Also would it be worth doing computer science degree with a finance related degree (ie commerce or actuarial) if I am planning to go into the tech industry, as it wouldn't have any use then?

dasfas

HSC
Yes, very much so redundant. CS or SWE. CS is more flexible and what I personally went with.

Anything quantitative is a fantastic pair with CS. So maths, physics, other engo disciplines. But it will be harder

jks22

HSC
Yes, very much so redundant. CS or SWE. CS is more flexible and what I personally went with.

Anything quantitative is a fantastic pair with CS. So maths, physics, other engo disciplines. But it will be harder
Ah ok, is there any particular degree you would recommend to take with it? I was thinking of doing it with advanced mathematics as I could go into data science also (but apparently you can do that with a computer science degree also?)

dasfas

HSC
Ah ok, is there any particular degree you would recommend to take with it? I was thinking of doing it with advanced mathematics as I could go into data science also (but apparently you can do that with a computer science degree also?)
Whatever interests you. The degrees/majors I listed are the best for job prospects imo. I personally went for engo/compsci because I have 2x the employment options (engineering and compsci jobs) and engo was interesting to me. If you go for maths/cs or phys/cs, that makes you a strong candidate for software engineering jobs, but also quantitative trading (finance).

jks22

HSC
Whatever interests you. The degrees/majors I listed are the best for job prospects imo. I personally went for engo/compsci because I have 2x the employment options (engineering and compsci jobs) and engo was interesting to me. If you go for maths/cs or phys/cs, that makes you a strong candidate for software engineering jobs, but also quantitative trading (finance).
If I don't mind asking, which engineering major do you do? (ie electrical, mechatronic, etc)

dasfas

HSC
If I don't mind asking, which engineering major do you do? (ie electrical, mechatronic, etc)
biomedical because I'm interested in studying medicine later on. but if mechatronics interests you that seems to be the best for employability atm

jks22

HSC
biomedical because I'm interested in studying medicine later on. but if mechatronics interests you that seems to be the best for employability atm
Ah gotcha, I think I am leaning towards doing a double degree consisting of Computer Science (majoring in artificial intelligence) and Commerce (majoring in information systems), so do you have any thoughts on it? Would it provide the skills necessary to go into data science and software engineering?

Last edited:

dasfas

HSC
Ah gotcha, I think I am leaning towards doing a double degree consisting of Computer Science (majoring in artificial intelligence) and Commerce (majoring in information systems), so do you have any thoughts on it? Would it provide the skills necessary to go into data science and software engineering?
A lot of people regret studying Commerce at uni (basically they complain its poorly taught and essentially common sense anyways). But this is me saying this, so ask around - try to see if you can get into contact with people studying cs + commerce

If you want to get into data sci, Comp Sci + Stats is the best combo. AI is a fantastic major (I am basically doing the exact same thing). You will need a good grounding in maths + programming, and this degree combo gives you that

idkkdi

HSC
Hey! I'm in the midst of doing my UAC application and I'm confused what course to pair with computer science (as a double degree). I've narrowed it down to actuarial studies, commerce, advanced mathematics or engineering (software)

Would it be redundant doing software engineering and computer science together or would it be a good combination? (as I've heard they are quite similar except software engineering has a couple extra courses)

Also would it be worth doing computer science degree with a finance related degree (ie commerce or actuarial) if I am planning to go into the tech industry, as it wouldn't have any use then?
pure maths+compsci most clout. but maths gets stupid hard

jks22

HSC
Why would mathematics be a good complement as I've asked some people working in the relevant fields and they seem to have mixed thoughts on it...

dasfas

HSC
Why would mathematics be a good complement as I've asked some people working in the relevant fields and they seem to have mixed thoughts on it...
You can model stuff - great for people working in finance, research, machine learning, data science etc..

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I think I am leaning towards doing a double degree consisting of Computer Science (majoring in artificial intelligence) and Commerce (majoring in information systems)
I wouldn't recommend this, it's basically Comp Sci + IT which isn't quite as redundant as CS + SWE, but are different (but highly related) career paths. Information Systems is more for people that want to become business analysts, consultants etc. CS/SWE for people that want to be doing engineering.

A lot of people that do a combined degree with Commerce will instead pick something more like management, finance, economics, accounting to get a broader education. But ultimately, I don't think it will make a material difference to employment outcomes for a software engineer - most quant firms will prefer upskilling devs in finance themselves for example.

Later in your career, an MBA has better signalling effects and networking opportunities than an undergrad combined commerce degree. But if you are genuinely interested in a commerce/business major and are happy with the added time for your degree, it can be nice but generally means you'll get less electives. UNSW has a great Personal Finance general elective which is probably more applicable to the average student than the (corporate) finance major for example lol.

jks22

HSC
You can model stuff - great for people working in finance, research, machine learning, data science etc..
Ah I see, I think I'll take mathematics in that case as it seems quite broad. How difficult would the course be (as I'm currently doing well in MADV and MX1, but I'm unsure if I will be able to cope with uni-level maths) and which major (ie applied maths, pure maths or advanced statistics) would be the best to take?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)