Timetables (1 Viewer)

muli

Hey guys

Just wondering, I've been accepted into a B Media in Visual Production for 2004, and I'm in the process of putting together a timetable on that funky lil' grid-maker on the Macq web page.

My question is when chosing which tutorials to attend, are you better off leaving 1hr gaps between classes, or having periods one after another? I'm only doing 18 credit points in first year and could probably fit all my Tuts/Lectures in 1st semester into 2 days of 3hrs each, but will I be better off slotting in some breaks between?

Thanks guys
muli

SilverDragon

As a former student from Mac Uni (Graduated 3 years ago), I can tell you it really depends on how you work best. In my first year I put in gaps between lectures, pracs, tutes etc. which basically resulted in me spending stacks of time in the bar with friends doing nothing. And it was really hard to get motivated to go back to class.

After that I didn't bother putting breaks in and got it done as fast as possible. Then I could either hang out with my friends, go home, go to work or whatever. So it is up to you.

Goodluck

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'd advise against one hour gaps... the minimum is two hours. Because think about it - you're not going to get much study done and you're not going to hang out with friends for long with that one hour.

muli

2 hours between classes? Being just out of high school with no free periods, that kinda gap seems ridiculously long. Is that the trend though?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It a matter of being able to do stuff.. and you can't do anything in an hour... if you have a three-hour gap... go for a movie or something. Like not a 2 hour gap between sessions... but like bunch the sessions together into 2 or 3 hour blocks.

muli

Ooooooh, now that's making more sence, I thought you meant 2 hrs between sessions.

Yeh the problem I'm having though is since I'm only doing 18 credit points in first year (9 per semester), I only have 3 tutorials and 2 lectures to fit in first semester.

So my choices are bunch them into a 3hr and 2 hr day, or stick gaps between sessions, and this is where i'm not sure of what to do.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Wow, that's like so few hours... The aim is have as few days at uni as possible... however, that's if you can do some private study.

Bunch as many hours together (3 is like a max... I had to do 4 in a row, and I was braindead and asleep by the 4th)... then have at least 2 hour gaps if possible between the bunch.

muli

From the main page, click on the scroll bar on the left that says 'Popular Links', then highlight Timetables. From there, to make a personal timetable, click on '2004 Grid Maker', then be ready to input your subjects.

What course you taking?

muli

oooooh ok did you buy the $10 undergraduate book? in there it outlines your degree, the core subjects ya have to pick, but then you have optional subjects to choose from.

it's not like they give you a timetable based on your degree. you choose the subjects ya wanna use your optional credit points for, input them, then you get a timetable

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Nice work muli, you're already like 3 steps ahead of the other incoming students from what u have done already i.e. actually buying the undergrad handbook in advance.

Personally I think 1 hour gaps between lectures and tutorials are the best. It gives you just enough time to have something to eat and print out any notes or whatever. AND it doesn't take too much out of your day so that you can still do whatever you like after you finish.. Having said that, often (and espeically after first year) your timetable will often be dictated for you with less tutorial slots.

Oh a reminder, Thursday nights are uni bar night. Well everynight is, but Thursday is the big one! Welcome to Club Mac! Let the good times roll. :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
http://www.timetables.mq.edu.au/index.html

then click 2004 timetable maker

anyway, rememver to leav etime for lunch.

and from what i think, i would not put 1hr breaks between lectures. it would just draw everything out. it' sbetter to get everything finished, and then hang around after if you want

muli

I'm starting to think this is a major case of personal preference! I think I'm gonna take goodtogo's advice and stick to 1 hr gaps to start off with, as much as I wanna go with flyin's 2hr gaps, I don't think I could stand being stuck around waiting for a class when I could be off at the beach.

But if I find the 1hrs aren't working for me, how easy is it to change your 2nd semester timetable once you've enrolled?

muli

Oh trust me, there's plenty of those in there. I'm still pretty impressed with managing to sqeeze it all in 3. And if it wasn't for those stupid lectures i'd be there for the one day only...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It's easy to change your 2nd semester timetable, usually. It depends on the number of vacancies where you want your sessions instead.

1 hour gaps were usually wasted for me.

boyboy

so as Macquarie students do we make our own timetables for our own degree, doesnt the uni have set times for lectures and stuff?

bong

HSC
im pretty sure i'll get NO days off, and since im one of the last to enrol... make do with what i can and try to structure half days...

boyboy... u pick wat units u want to do... and pick available set times at enrolemt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)