Tips for 2006 HSC Class (1 Viewer)

kafryn_rookie

In Transition
HSC
Class of 2005 and previous,

Do your bit and lets help the 2006 HSC class - Post any tips or ideas which you think might help next years HSC sitters...

Lets face it we have nothing to lose, and they have everything to gain. I wish someone had tried to do the same for me, may have made the experience a little better and perhaps easier.

My First Tip:

Create study notes as you go.
seems simple enough, however it is often over looked and left last minute.
If you are able to create them at the end of each chapter or unit it makes studying that much easier, basically because you're not having to spend vital time creating them.

I'll be adding more tips soon. so stay tuned
and if you think of anything whcih may help post and help a fellow student

Kabeio

k.
HSC
kafryn_rookie said:
Class of 2005 and previous,

Do your bit and lets help the 2006 HSC class - Post any tips or ideas which you think might help next years HSC sitters...

Lets face it we have nothing to lose, and they have everything to gain. I wish someone had tried to do the same for me, may have made the experience a little better and perhaps easier.

My First Tip:

Create study notes as you go.
seems simple enough, however it is often over looked and left last minute.
If you are able to create them at the end of each chapter or unit it makes studying that much easier, basically because you're not having to spend vital time creating them.

I'll be adding more tips soon. so stay tuned
and if you think of anything whcih may help post and help a fellow student
tip" screw studying full hard throughut the year, as if u cbf, just study 4 weeks before exams and cram

somecooldude

HSC
everyone says cramming doesnt help and that you shouldnt study the night and morning before the exam.

but trust me it does help, cram, Cram, CRAM!

that doesnt mean dont study throughout the year but.. lol

liquimalish

Liquid Malisha- HOLLA
HSC
Study some what for trials, study really hard between trials and exams, cramming does work so do it, get summaries of notes from the resouces on this site and then go over anything you dont know it cuts down revision time

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
There are already a number of "study tips" threads, but I guess the more there is, the more likely people are going to read them. :p For some other ones, see below:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=65201
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=3734

My tips:
  • Organise your notes. This means colour-coded pens, line breaks, legible handwriting, etc. The scrappier your notes are, the less you will be inclined to read them.
  • When you come home everyday, go through what you have learned in each subject and make sure you understand everything. If you don't, ask your teachers, friends or post them on BoS.
  • Try to study ahead in as many subjects as possible, especially maths and sciences. This makes information a lot easier to digest when you face them in class.
  • For english subjects, read widely. Read your prescribed texts ASAP so that if needed, you have time to re-read them. Study-guides are useful but not essential. http://www.sparknotes.com is a good resource.
  • Do every piece of homework you're given. This is self-explanatory.
  • Sleep well. Avoid all-nighters before exams. It's inevitable that you're going to be cramming right before assessments, but don't literally leave it to the last minute. Set yourself to finish revising 3 days before the exam so that during those last 3 days, you can do some light revision and relax.
  • Practise writing fast and legibly for english subjects.
  • Do as many past paper questions as possible. Don't leave them until STUVAC. Plan to start with one paper a week, then move to two, three, etc.
  • Don't avoid relationships. A little off-topic, I know, but relationships can provide the kind of support you need to escape the stress of the HSC.
  • Take breaks between studying. Don't sit at your desk for three hours. Rest every now and then, or switch subjects.

IcEy

HSC
The study notes is an awesome tip. Good notes are essential. I take heaps of notes. So when I did any subject, apart from maybe maths, I'd take notes in class, just scrappy ones, then write them up on the weekend, then type those out, then copy them in condensed form into a super notes book, which has all the answers.

Work consistently through the year, that's very important. If there's something you don't know, make sure you do more of it, and practice it, especially with maths. Don't avoid it.

Also, talk to your classmates and friends. In most subjects, especially 4u maths and advanced english, I've learnt more from discussion with my peers and friends than I have from the teacher. Not that my teachers are bad, their awesome, and very capable teachers. Its just that they can't think of everything, and they don't see the world from your eyes, whilst your friends might be a little closer to how you'd see it. Sorta contradictory, I know, but you should get the point.

Make sure you do all the things you'd normally do, provided they don't mess with your regular study, but this I mean girls/boys, work, sport, etc. It really is important to have some outlet, ie, for me, sport.

During the HSC exams, you should just set aside these 4 weeks to go hard. Easier said than done.

:)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I believe im the first class of 2006 to do this, but anyway..
Thanks very much for this thread.

Opium

:: Unbound ::
HSC
1. if you intend to study maths (heaven forbid) don't skimp on the homework.
2. When the hsc comes around study heaps for the first exam, paper 1 of english. But remember however much you study for paper 1 study at least twice as much for paper 2. Because the damn thing is three essays. Good luck remembering all the quotes and knowing the texts inside out so you don't choke on the day.
3. don't die
4. study is not your life. Unless you are a UAI 98-100 freak. remember that

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Opium said:
1. if you intend to study maths (heaven forbid) don't skimp on the homework.
Agreed!

Also, remember that you need to put in effort all year. If you put in effort with your work, the hsc will be a breeze. When you're studying for it, all you will have to do will be revision - not learning it from scratch.

Within Year 12 - you're competing against each other
After your trials - you're competing together against other schools

And if I can quote a teacher on the last day of school, "Shit happens. Good Luck".

HSC
N/A
man all u do is go library n study for 6 hours while flirtin wif chix... totally works, jus make up question accordin to syllabus points, n then practice memorisin those answers, i did that for SOR, entertainment and economics, im tellin ya it totally works, plus ther chix involved help motivate u more, state library best palce!

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Study notes are worthless. As soon as you make them, throw them out. It's the process of making them, not reading them, that helps you learn stuff; if you try to read notes you'll just st are blankly at the page while your mind wanders off and thinks about more interesting things.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Get ahold of all past papers/trials before half yearlies because they put questions from there in it usually.

Srixon

HSC
just bum around all year and take it easy. nah try to do all the homework throughout the yr not like me and it should help study right before exams helps beasue it is fresh on your mind

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Study notes are worthless. As soon as you make them, throw them out. It's the process of making them, not reading them, that helps you learn stuff; if you try to read notes you'll just st are blankly at the page while your mind wanders off and thinks about more interesting things.
That's not true. It's the process of reading them rather than writing them (contrary to popular myth) that helps you memorise and recall.

Also, don't underestimate the value of studying off your textbook - especially for subjects other than maths and english. Read over your textbook plenty of times - it will be more comprehensive than summaries and notes.

Last edited:

Abtari

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
thats is sooooooo true..

quiet _dhj_ :D

ichiraku

HSC
Thanks a lot for all the tips 05ers and beyond

I've tried to put a few of these suggestions (namely the study notes into action) and so far it's been working well.

CoFFee BreAk

HSC
I don't know if anybody has mentioned it yet, but I just wanna reinforce this for you to keep on revising your notes, even if you're good at a certain subject. Take my words, and don't follow my path. I used to be one of the Top 5 students for English, and everybody always associated me with the name "English master", but my extreme pride grew up on me, which has finally led me to the 'bottom list'.

So never leave an essay or any form of assignment 'til the day before the due date. Just because we're on the top, we can't stay there forever, unless we keep on renewing our tactics on a regular basis. That's all I have in mind. Hope that helps :D

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Tips???...I have a very ineterseting tip for u!

Make sure u monitor the "2005 HSC results" , and "2005 UAI's" threads, and be sure to send anyone who's marks are appealing to u, a PM... ask for their e-mail address, add them to ur msn list, U wont believe how helpful these ppl will be!

Last yr the English Ext.2 state topper was a bored member, I sent him a PM and before I knew it, he was on my msn list, and boy was he a great help! awesome bloke!

I also added Laurie field ...lol however until now he's refrained from chatting to me lol (he got a UAI of 100, topping 4 subjects in 2004... also a bos member)...although he did reply to a PM I once sent him!

I added Tempco (UAI of 99.55) to my msn list. He wa a great help throughout the year, always giving me advice whenever i needed it, and best of all he had the marks to back up the fact that his techniques were successful!

Alot of ppl decide to stay away from msn during the HSC yr, however instead of banning myself from msn, i decided to block every single person on my list, except those whom I would chat to for advice and school matters!...By blocking everyone, u delete the risk of being tempted to reply to someones "Hey X how r u?" which generaly extends to a time wasting 1 hour converstaion and by the end of the converstaion ur slapping urslef on the head realising u could have read 40 pages from ur english text, or even solved 2 whole maths excercises.

However, I must admit, i did e-mail a few bos members, and they never replied, but at the end of the day, U cant expect everyone to reply to ur PM's or add u to their msn list... I mean alot of these ppl are bombarded with e-mails and PM's after the HSC results come out...

I mean last yr i was looking at Laurie field's results

engadv: 97
eng ext: 49
maths ext1: 99
maths ext2: 99
physics: 98
lat cont: 100
lat ext: 50
greek cont: 100
greek ext: 50

UAI= 100

I mean as if u wouldnt PM him!!!.....lol

GET ALL THE ADVICE U CAN GET.. especialy from ppl who top the state!...

U'll find that alot of them were consistent.... they werent last minute crammers, they studied day by day, and revised constantly.. thats all it takes... do a little every day, and u'll be set!!!

Acmilan was also a great help (99 in Mathematics, 95 phys, 48/50 (96%) Maths ext.)... he constantly gave me advice and I had a few interesting cnverstaions with him (through PM's) on how he came to get 99 for maths adv. and how he managed to get a state ranking of 3rd in 2004 (for maths)!

Mr EaZy also a great help, achieving 90's in most of his subjects, he helped alot with his physics advice!!!

TRACK THESE PPL DOWN, lol however be patient... and dont expect a 2 page reply, these ppl have lives beyond the HSC lol...!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

monitor the forums like hawks on the 16th and 17th of december!!!...lol

I have a feeling alot of ppl will now disable their PM, and E-mail options lol!!!

Last edited:

Srixon

HSC
dont think any of the 06ers will be PMing me unless they want to know how to fail. LOL

elisabeth

HSC
There are two common ways that people motivate themselves. You may be the type that thrives when praised and encouraged. Great, if that helps you hit those constant high marks.

Or... competition. The desire to prove someone one, to get the academic upper hand over a snotty b*tch in your class. Just picturing their smug face and gloating friends when they top your class can be a powerful incentive to study. Hey, whatever works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)