Tips for creative writing (1 Viewer)

may22

HSC
Okay, so I always thought that creative writing was my strength
But I've hit year 11 and my teacher is trying to push me further with my ideas.

I've been experimenting a lot with structure, language devices and storylines, but there are two things my teacher has noticed:
1. I write like it's a novel extract, and not an actual short story with a defined beginning, middle and end (still working on this :/)
2. I should try to use a writing stimulus more figuratively

Does anyone have any tips? I've been in a rut for the past few days, because each time I submit a practise I get like a 15-17/20 and it's annoying me because I know I can do so much better

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think there would be a few steps to follow in your particular case if you wish to improve your creative writing, starting with the basics (as even those are important):

1- Develop your story idea:

Being able to develop a good story idea will be helpful with your first concern, i.e. being able to write an actual story with a clear beginning, middle and end, instead of writing a piece that resembles a novel extract. Having a good story idea will in turn give you a good idea of how your story should commence, the events that occur throughout your story as well as how your story concludes. A good way of developing a story idea is to think about your story in terms of your character(s), which I will elaborate on in the next step.

2- Think about the significance of your character(s) within your story:

The significance of your character(s) within your story refers to different aspects relevant to your character(s) that will allow you to develop a well-thought-out story. Elements such as those listed below can be incredibly helpful in effectively shaping your story:
  • What your characters(s) will experience.
  • How your character(s) will experience this.
  • Your character(s) reaction to their experience
  • The effect this experience will have on your character(s)
  • The time and place in which the particular experience will take place and (if applicable);
  • Whether this experience will impact any other character within your story.
3- Develop a setting for your story:

Some important considerations with respect to the setting of your story that will allow you to write a meaningful story include where the character(s) reside, where the story will take place as well as during which time period.

I believe the above tips will definitely be helpful in resolving your first concern. With regard to your second concern, I personally believe that an improved ability to develop and write a great creative piece will allow you to widen the scope of your creativity beyond your current capabilities, possibly allowing you to successfully use a writing stimulus more figuratively.

I hope this helps! 😄

may22

HSC
Hmm I see what you mean, thank you for the tips!

I’m planning on getting some more practise in before the actual exam, so I’ll see how I go with that.

may22

HSC
Thought I’d update 😊

Did my English exam today and I think I did alright!

The narrative stimulus was a compass; I managed to use it both literally and metaphorically. And there was a clear storyline and not just a stream of consciousness 😅

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thought I’d update 😊

Did my English exam today and I think I did alright!

The narrative stimulus was a compass; I managed to use it both literally and metaphorically. And there was a clear storyline and not just a stream of consciousness 😅
Congratulations on completing your English exam! It is great to know that you were able to successfully manipulate the narrative stimulus and develop a clear response that conveys both literal and metaphorical ideas! 🥳

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming assessment tasks and exams for English as well as the rest of your subjects! 😄

may22

HSC
Congratulations on completing your English exam! It is great to know that you were able to successfully manipulate the narrative stimulus and develop a clear response that conveys both literal and metaphorical ideas! 🥳

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming assessment tasks and exams for English as well as the rest of your subjects! 😄
Thank you!!! 😁

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)