Tips for your stories :P (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
The plot thickens, if you use lots of adjectives and a garden guide

There's another way a few trees can make a book, writes Richard Glover.

With the Sydney Writers Festival under way, many readers have contacted me wondering how they might become writers, so as to be invited to the high-level soirees on offer. Happily, it doesn't seem too difficult. But remember, this is only a basic guide. You'll also have to employ a good publicist.

Procrastinate

This is an essential part of the writing game. There is nothing like beginning a novel to make housework appear a joy. Just sitting down and typing the words "Chapter One" can make tackling last night's washing-up look very attractive. Hanging out the laundry becomes a task that has to be done this very minute. Ditto cleaning out the bits of rice and meat stuck in the kitchen-sink strainer. Certainly it took Flaubert seven years to write Sentimental Education, but you should have seen his shower recess by the end of it. Absolutely sparkling!

Procrastinate some more

Having written your first sentence, sit back and marvel at its poise, economy and limpid intensity. Spend the next three hours mentally rehearsing your acceptance speech for the Nobel Prize for literature. Be sure to decide whom to thank, and whom to rather pointedly leave out. Perhaps, like Patrick White, you should donate the proceeds to fund a prize in your own name? But should it be for young playwrights, or for elderly poets? Spend time considering the advantages of each, before deciding that no, you deserve all the money yourself.

Write second sentence

Here's where you will start introducing your characters. Remember: the real skill in writing is avoiding too many "he saids" and "she saids". This is what separates a class act (publishers' receptions, prizes, offers of sex) from a basic literary failure (10 boxes of unsold books beneath the bed). Consider having your characters make a movement each time they speak, so as to tip off the reader as to who is talking.

"Jason turned to face her: 'I think I'm falling in love.' Jacinta swivelled her face towards that of her lover: 'I am, too.' Jason turned his head sharply, and looked towards the window: 'Are you? Are you really?' Jacinta jerked her head downwards to stare at her shoes: 'No, actually, I think it's just wind."'

Remember: if you are writing really fluidly, your characters should be in need of a chiropractor by the end of chapter one. By the end of the three-book deal, they'll both be in a neck brace.

Purchase a copy of Yates Garden Guide

In the real world, no one has known the names of trees and shrubs since the late 1950s, with the possible exception of Peter Cundall. Yet - for reasons I don't understand - all the characters in novels are horticulture experts. No way can your main character walk past something described as "a tree"; you need more detail. Even "he walked past a big tree" won't please the literary types. He has to walk past "a gnarled river gum", "a sweet-gum liquidambar", or perhaps "a vigorous hedge of hibiscus, just coming into flower". Frankly, it doesn't matter which: just flip open your Yates at random, pick something that sounds right, then flip back to the start of your novel to check it's not set in Antarctica.

Purchase a thesaurus

We couldn't help but notice that you had Jason "walking" back there. Clearly, you have yet to purchase a thesaurus. Do so, and immediately consult section 266: "locomotion by land". Next time we see Jason, we expect him to be trudging with the despair of a man who knows he that has lost Jacinta's love forever. Or, alternatively, promenading with the carefree long strides of a man full of hope, through air heavy with the smell of hibiscus. If you're going all out for an overseas prize, you could even have him perambulating.

Add weather

According to novelists, the weather reflects the emotional state of the characters. I have checked with the weather bureau, which describes this theory as "extremely unlikely". Still, it worked for Jane Austen, so get stuck in.

Throw in some adjectives

In the real world, the person who makes your sandwich is "a young guy, nothing special really, just average-looking, really". Mostly the sandwich tastes "much like what you would expect a tuna sandwich to taste". This is not the attitude which will get you invited to drinks at the Sydney Writers Festival. We want a sandwich which will push along the plot, and a sandwich-maker whose appearance will add to the novel's oppressive mood of despair. Also, once your protagonist receives the tuna sandwich, make sure he eats it in the street outside. That way he can be dramatically killed by a falling tree branch loosened by a bolt of lightning, the extreme weather curiously reflective of his state of mind.

Serves him right, I guess, for standing underneath a scarlet-flowered gum. With his horticultural knowledge, you would think he would know better.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120115380.html

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lmao

How good is that?

I think that's going into my journal
:|

^_^

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I like the good advice! :D However, I have a few qualms - I think that the simplicity of 'he said, she said', artfully arranged, can allow the reader to focus on the flow of dialogue. Whilst I think a sense of place and progression is important, too much movement can clutter the work. For example, some writers love adverbs - but they can become unwieldly:

'I think you're right,' he said emphatically, turning away.
'You know I am', she replied fervently, seeking his gaze.
'Don't do that', he countered, angrily.
'Let it go,' she finished, resolutely.

I think this could be more simply and effectively expressed as:

'I think you're right,' he said, turning away.
'You know I am', she sought his gaze.
'Don't do that,' he said, and angered.
'Let it go.'

I also think that it's important to use your adjectives sparingly. When you're drafting a work, it's good to be descriptive - but when it comes to editing, you should ensure that each word contributes to your planned effect. In "Heart of Darkness", Joseph Conrad gives some good examples of adjectival overload:

"It was the stillness of an implacable force brooding over an inscrutable intention".

Whilst this is a balanced sentence, its abstract adjectives tend to confuse the reader. It's my opinion that simpler images allow abstractions to be better understood. Simplicity does not necessarily mean boorishness. Imagery orientates and interests the reader.

Here's an example from "The Tombs of Atuan", by Ursula Le Guin:

"In the deep valley, in the twilight, the apple trees were on the eve of blossoming; here and there among the shadowed boughs one flower had opened early, rose and white, like a faint star".

Each word is simple and purposeful, but artful - 'deep', 'twilight', 'eve', 'blossoming', 'shadowed', 'early', 'rose', 'white', 'faint star' - they create a powerful visual and emotional tapestry.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Just adding on to the character thing discussed above -

I understand the whole introduction of movement thing which can help set a scene, but too much and quite frankly, you'll have someone reading it and asking you whether you were paid for the use of adjectives. Use it when you need to... sometimes, over-dramatic (or unneeded) movement at the end of someone's speech can detract from what they're actually saying.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Wow I remember this thread. I copied it, printed it out and stuck it in my journal for kicks.

J

jhakka

I copied it, printed it off and then gave it to my Extension 2 teacher. He then photocopied it for the class. :)

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i wish i had seen it earlier this year! thats bloody brilliant! my teacher would have loved it. maybe i'll give it to her for next year.
i especially loved the horticulturist bit... its so true, in stories/books ive read the trees and bushes are alw\most always named.... how strange. lol

AntonTheswan

Emisary Of The Gorgonites
From the forest itself comes the handle for the ax
HSC
My favourite Bit about this thread is that people actually missed the point and thought it was serious.
Also you forgot italics, evrey good stroy has italics.

Frightening thought:
Before microsoft word introduced the world to the beauty of the italic phrase how could fabulous authors like Rowling and Reilly express suspense, exitement, or anything for that matter.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Don't forget to use metaphors so complex, so massively intellectually ginormously convulting awesomely rad metaphors which nobody can ever, ever understand. That way, the marker will assume youve written something far too intelligent for them to understand, and far more insightful than their brain can computer, and give you like, 50/50 right off the bat.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
ScottyG said:
Don't forget to use metaphors so complex, so massively intellectually ginormously convulting awesomely rad metaphors which nobody can ever, ever understand. That way, the marker will assume youve written something far too intelligent for them to understand, and far more insightful than their brain can computer, and give you like, 50/50 right off the bat.

Yes, that's called a 'postmodern' short story. It allows you to conveniently justify ambiguity and plot holes in your reflection statement.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
goldendawn said:
Yes, that's called a 'postmodern' short story. It allows you to conveniently justify ambiguity and plot holes in your reflection statement.
And not just any plot holes, i'm taking mack-truck sized plot holes that act like black holes

Skitten

HSC
that has to be the funniest thing i have read this year. It is going in my journal so when im re-reading and stressing over my reflection statement i'll have something i restore my sanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)