• Want some good practice on harder HSC questions?
    Our BoS trial exams will be held on:
    ● 4th October (Maths Ext2)
    ● 4th October (Maths Ext1)
    ● 5th October (Chemistry)
    Click here for details on how to register
  • Happy 20 YEARS to us!

tips on catching up with japanese continuers and self-studying?? (1 Viewer)

chaeram

HSC
hello! i'm taking japanese continuers in year 11 rn but i have to study it at the NSL (nsw school of languages) since there wasn't enough people that wanted to do it at my school so the classes didn't run T__T i went to the orientation on zoom yesterday and man i srsly had a big reality check.... everyone there seemed so fluent and it really hit to me how behind i was in the course. they knew stuff like plain-form sentences and i don't think we even covered that at my school?

my mum happens to be fluent in japanese and even she said how slow-paced my school curriculum was in teaching japanese last year hah i'm so worried..
like we even just learnt colours in year 10 too?? seems like my school curriculum was really behind in teaching us stuff :/

i wanted to ask if anyone has tips on how to self-study japanese and stay on top of it ?? and what did other schools learn in yr 10 japanese?
right now, my game plan is to rewrite all my notes from yr 10 and revise them TT
studying at the NSL is difficult since it's basically like remote learning and self-studying

anyways if anyone sees this and could give any advice regarding learning japanese continuers, i would really appreciate it!! sorry if this was really long too..

Masaken

HSC
I do Japanese Continuers too (accelerating so I take the HSC for it this year). What I did in year 10 was the Preliminary Course, but what I did in Year 9 (had to learn two years' worth of Japanese in one because accelerated), where my school used the Obento series (Deluxe for Year 7-8, Supreme for Year 9 (and 10, if you were in a non accelerated Japanese stream). What we did then in Supreme was expanding on basics, but plain form was not introduced until the very end of the book (all the sentences were polite form for 95% of it). During the Preliminary Course, plain form was of course expanded on more, with the vocab verbs slowly transitioning from polite to plain, to completely plain by Unit 3. (If you want, I can dm you an Obento grammar list that covers Year 7-10 grammar, as that is assumed knowledge for the Preliminary Course.)

For self-studying Japanese, I highly recommend a textbook and the accompanying workbook, if you don't have them already. Even though it's old, my school uses Wakatta because the grammar and explanations are good, and there is an extensive list of vocab, phrases and good reading passages. Using flash cards on Quizlet or Anki for your vocab is also a recommendation.

Alongside getting yourself up to speed with Japanese, I advise you to go through the Japanese Beginners past papers (not Continuers, Beginners). Since you won't have access to the Wakatta listening, you should practise your listening with Beginners first (as well as ask your teacher for listening resources, for listening audios that are more towards Continuers level as you progress).

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Regarding the orientation and your fellow students, Continuers language courses (including Japanese Continuers) are mainly targeted at students learning the target language as a second (or additional) language. Generally speaking, students taking a Continuers language course(s) have studied the target language(s) for 200 - 400 hours before the start of year 11. This possibly explains your reaction to the abilities of your peers at the NSW School of Languages. There seems to be a significant difference in the effectiveness of the structure of language courses prior to Stage 6 and Stage 6 language courses. Schools appear to exert more control on the content and delivery of language courses from Stage 1 to Stage 5, despite the fact that there is a clear syllabus for those academic years. On the other hand, schools generally have to closely follow the syllabus of each Stage 6 language course (for instance, Japanese Beginners, Japanese Continuers and Japanese Extension), and cannot exert significant control over the content and delivery of language courses, especially considering the fact that learning accomplished in the Preliminary Course and HSC Course of a language subject ultimately leads students to the HSC exam of a particular language course(s), which is an important thing to consider, making the structure of Stage 6 language courses considerably more effective.

In addition to the above advice, I would suggest making efficient use of resources that you will be provided with by NSL, as those are of good quality and, combined with the resources suggested above, will result in an array of resources for you to utilise throughout year 11 and year 12. Despite the fact that you are taking Japanese Continuers via distance education, NSL generally delivers the subjects that it offers to a good standard, meaning that, provided you will be regularly studying and putting in the required effort, you will hopefully face no problems with adjusting to learning a language via distance education. Your mum, being fluent in Japanese, is also a good thing since you will be able to seek her advice/assistance with potential questions relevant to Japanese Continuers when needed.

I hope this helps! 😄

chaeram

HSC
I do Japanese Continuers too (accelerating so I take the HSC for it this year). What I did in year 10 was the Preliminary Course, but what I did in Year 9 (had to learn two years' worth of Japanese in one because accelerated), where my school used the Obento series (Deluxe for Year 7-8, Supreme for Year 9 (and 10, if you were in a non accelerated Japanese stream). What we did then in Supreme was expanding on basics, but plain form was not introduced until the very end of the book (all the sentences were polite form for 95% of it). During the Preliminary Course, plain form was of course expanded on more, with the vocab verbs slowly transitioning from polite to plain, to completely plain by Unit 3. (If you want, I can dm you an Obento grammar list that covers Year 7-10 grammar, as that is assumed knowledge for the Preliminary Course.)

For self-studying Japanese, I highly recommend a textbook and the accompanying workbook, if you don't have them already. Even though it's old, my school uses Wakatta because the grammar and explanations are good, and there is an extensive list of vocab, phrases and good reading passages. Using flash cards on Quizlet or Anki for your vocab is also a recommendation.

Alongside getting yourself up to speed with Japanese, I advise you to go through the Japanese Beginners past papers (not Continuers, Beginners). Since you won't have access to the Wakatta listening, you should practise your listening with Beginners first (as well as ask your teacher for listening resources, for listening audios that are more towards Continuers level as you progress).
ah thank you so much!! we did use the obento series at my school, we used deluxe in year 9 and we used supreme in year 10 although we only got up to unit 7 (which was about body parts and adjectives). so that probably explains why i didn't know about plain form sentences.. i'll make sure to go through all the exercises there then.

and ahh yes i would appreciate it if you could send me that grammar list :')) tysm again for the tips and advice !! i'll go try and see what works for me

Masaken

HSC
20220225_191146.jpg

The first photo is the Obento grammar. Second photo is a list of Continuers grammar from the syllabus (ticks are just for me, so ignore them whoops)

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)