to all legal studies students (1 Viewer)

roadcone

HSC
if you read this article in the SMH today, http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...mean-high-marks/2005/10/24/1130006061406.html , you will find that the board of studies say that only 15 people have complained about the fact that the crime question appears to have been derived from somewhere other than the syllabus.

therefore i urge you all to visit the real BoS and send off an email of complaint about the paper in order to make the claim taken seriously.

http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/aa_main/contact.html

for those who are interested, this is also discussed in the telegraph - http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,17019287-5001022,00.html

Last edited:

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
yes, wel really all should, because everyone, and everyone i mean,. found that question wonky and that should be taken seriously. please everyone, report it, complain, make em take it seriously and make em give everyone full 19 marks for that section! hahaha

but seriously, everyone, complain!

lozzipops_87

HSC
yes i totally agree. i was just going to sit back and let everyone else do it, but that is probably what everyone is thinking of doing.
I think that question was out of order and i know that alot of other people agree so everyone get complaining!

DarkPrince_87

HSC
ok people i just got off the phone to this guy....i cant remember his name but he was very good he took my complaint and talked me through what possibly could happen, there are no need to send complaints just for the sake of doing so, something is going to be done about it, he is personally going to visit the person who created the question tomorrow and ask him what he thinks of it....i spoke to this person aobut these forums and he is well aware of them and has been reading them, he has yet to do so today so he will be checking them later on...he sed they wont be giving out marks just for the sake of it they may alter the marking scale for that question if alot of people found it hard but we dont know as yet so theres no need to still complain...whilst reading these forums he has noticed some people thought the question was easy, others wrote what they put in the test and he sed some of which seems to be alright, please dont complain just for the sake of it today as nothing can be done until tomorrow, if we find out anymore in the upcoming weeks about the question and it doesnt get the full attention some beleive it should then complain....in the mean time just chill and study for exams, if u have no more exams what are you doing in the forums i would be long gone from anything to do with school by now.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
hey cool, Mr Dillion is in the paper!

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Well... it's not like any cohort or student was unfairly treated.

Everyone had to suffer the question, so they shouldn't invalidate it on the grounds that it unfairly disadvantaged/advantaged certain groups.

Not in the syllabus is a fair reason, though.

Danoz The Great

HSC
Just sent an email:

To whom it may concern,

In the HSC exam for Legal Studies on Friday 21st October, Question 17 Part C was to "compare and contrast the problems faced by young male and female offenders when they come into contact with the criminal justice system".

This question does not appear to be covered in the HSC Legal Studies syllabus. Being a question worth seven marks, I feel that this question was rather unfair on all HSC candidates, and that only students who had dealt with juvenile justice in great detail in class would have been able to answer this question.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

With regards,

Danielle -----.

misskay

HSC
I think the fact that they are leaving this to "marker discretion" or "modifying guidelines" sucks.
It is still unfair & puts people who happened to know this at an unfair advantage.
I just this email:
To whom it may concern,
I would like to express my outrage that the matter concerning question 17C (Crime) in last Friday's (21/10) Legal Exam, is not being handled in an effective way.
Media claims that markers will be subject to using "their own discretion" or "modifying guidelines" is simply not enough. The fact is that this topic was not covered in the HSC syllabus & therefore should not even be questioned.
It puts people who happen to know this at an unfair advantage over others who have maintained revision according to the prescribed syllabus.
It is my belief that discretion or modification should not be used, & that this matter should be addressed in a way that is fair to everyone, not just to a select few.
I would like to know what the Board of Studies is doing about this, & if required, what avenues of appeal are available.
Thank you,

I think this question should not even be considered when marking.

SaMi5

HSC
dark prince y would u sat to forget bout complaining today .. the more ppl who d the better i rekon!! tell everyone u nko who does legal to get up the bos.. they have fuked us over n cant be allowed to get away with it!

HSC
Apparently the answers which were 'supposed' to be explored in that contrast were not only not in the syllabus, but was in a report that was neither curriculum subscribed material nor a text which we were supposed to include as any form of media study and what not.

After the exam, the head of legal studies at my school (a tad bit infuriated) read through the 99 pg report. She hasn't yet finished reading it, but its amazing that they can pull out probably a small section of that report for such a weighted question, which doesn't even satisfy the syllabus huh?

hmm

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
i emailed as well as called up 'expressing' my concerns, and he said that they won't disclude it or anything, but they can completely change the marking to suit how students have responded. i asked what will happen if everyone did badly in those two particular questions, and he said that the Board will talk to the markers(yeah right....how many are there of em again?) and do something to make sure all students are treated fairly and marked fairly. we can't give everyone full marks for that because it doesn't differenttiate between studnts and show what each student's capabilities are and blah blah blah again and again. then he said they're "LOOKING" into it as many people have expressed a concern in this.

roadcone

HSC
very true.. also the thing that gets me is that you can't be compensated for the time you wasted in the exam thinking about what they hell was going on with the question. essentially if i knew it wasn't going to be counted or would be pushed up or whatever i would have spent my time ensuring that my focus studies killed it.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Exactly; changing the marking criteria wont do anything, because 1/5 of people wouldn't have written anything (how are they going to mark those people? Are they going to give them zero, when they had as much right to put nothing, as they didn't know what the question was asking?) If you ask a question that no body knows what the hell it is going on about, you can't blame some people for writing nothing.

And as for those people who are saying "oohh i knew how to answer the question"...........

SHUT THE ....UP BEFORE I RAM A 10 FOOT POLE UP YOUR UGLY ....... ARSE SLUTS. You didn't know how to answer it, and neither does anybody else.

The same dumb <edited out> who thinks that legal aid dispenses justice thinks that she answered the question correctly. No; you are dumb. Go slam your head against a wall you mong.
you know what mate, you need to calm down, take deep breath and shut up. just cause you think its right, doesn't mean its right ok. if people didn't answer the question, they change the marking guidelines according to what the students wrote and how they responded to the question.

and as for your words, "You didn't know how to answer it, and neither does anybody else.".....stop being so damn pessimistic. just coz you didn't know how to answer it, and just coz lots of people couldn't either that doesn't mean no one could....

roadcone said:
very true.. also the thing that gets me is that you can't be compensated for the time you wasted in the exam thinking about what they hell was going on with the question. essentially if i knew it wasn't going to be counted or would be pushed up or whatever i would have spent my time ensuring that my focus studies killed it.
i agree with you....my focus studies did kill it and i guess that compensated for the crappy crime.

Last edited:

blacklight

I actually filed a complaint today... and I don't even do legal studies. They told me it had been forwarded onto the proper channels.

Here's hoping, because that exam stuffed a lot of my friends up.

-blacklight

DarkPrince_87

HSC
ok well i didnt know how to answer the question at all, ive asked a few people and told them what i wrote and how i mentioned young offenders act 97 (NSW) and discretion and a few other things (not to much) i should get a few marks out of 7 like mayb 2 or 3....if they find out that heaps of people made mistakes they may be more lenient which gets me more marks....as for not attempting the question as sad as it is what did you think u were going to achieve, you may as well of taken an educated quess and talked about shyt like i did which might get u a few marks opposed to not answering it and hoping that thousands of other people did the same thing and wish for full marks...i agree that it was a dumb question but not much can be changed now...and yes b4 anyone starts accusing me of being a fuck or some shit...SHUT UP i was really relying on legal studies to get me into uni and i didnt do as good as i hoped on those questions but neither did other people so everything should work out so shut up and chill

rink

HSC
Lhyviathan said:
Well... it's not like any cohort or student was unfairly treated.

Everyone had to suffer the question, so they shouldn't invalidate it on the grounds that it unfairly disadvantaged/advantaged certain groups.

Not in the syllabus is a fair reason, though.
OKKKKK alot of people are saying the same thing which is INCORRECT. I'll tell u why.

a) it still wasn't on the syllabus

b) the syllabus has a bit which says this under legal issues and remedies -

''assessing the efficiency and the effectiveness of various forms of legal measures in achieving justice through researching a current criminal justice issue''

this doesn't specify a particular current criminal issue it just says A criminal issue......there are over like 100issues. This means that some people WOULD have studied juvenile justice (as this is a hot topic in the news) and therefore WOULD have been able to answer the question......they are unfairly advantaged. So even if they alter the marking guidelines, these people (even the crappy bum students) would have said sumthing valid and would have gotten like 7/7 whereas ppl like us who actually tried hard all year will get stuck with a measly 4/7 or sumthing.

c) if i don't get into uni coz i lost 19marks in an exam over crappy questions which weren't on the syllabus im NOT going to be happy

hence the only fair and possible thing to do would be to not include that question at all

Smartie87

HSC
That is utter bullshit about only 15 complaints. Come on people, of course they will say that just to cover their arse! I know that there are more than 15 ppl on the bos forums alone who have complained, so they r full of it. If i dont get into uni they better watch out or ill hunt them all down and make them suffer like we have!

DarkPrince_87

HSC
ill be extremely pissed as well, i dont know much about the scaling and stuff but its not like i want a high UAI, ill b happy with 65 it gets me into my uni course, lol dunno if ill get it tho so still trying my hardest and im partially expecting a UAI of 75-80 ...course i want to do is at CSU its teaching computers its originally 70 but because im from a rural school i get an extra 5 bonus UAI points to csu uni....so i just hope everything goes well not only for me but for everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)