To meds: Gray's Anatomy (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Have any of you looked at the Gray? It is apparently one of the most important works of medical literature, but it's so chunky and detailed that I'm not sure anyone bothers actually reading it.

I went and bought a huge hardback facsimile of the first edition, today, a bargain at $40 (Basement Books, Henry Deane plaza Railway Square).

Could some med students give comment on this wonderful book?

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Gray's Anatomy is way over the top. There's reasons that Gray isn't used in ANAM1006/ANAM2007 at uni.. it's huge! But yeh, $40 is an absolute steal for that book..

If you want to immerse yourself in a huge med textbook get the DSM-IV (I'm sure you've heard of it, you said something about being interested in psychiatry)..it's the book used by psychiatrists and psychologists, it's a good read (and much more pages than that thin Gray haha!)..but you'll be looking at more than $100 for the DSM.. but there's also other compressed versions etc.. that's what you should be reading! :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
:p Me? Compressed versions? I'm Lexicographer, I read through tomes! Thanks for the commentary though, I'm glad someone replied. Yeah, I hope to be getting more of these soon, but oppurtunity and disposable income only appear at the most unexpected of times (simultaneously that is).

Of course, it may be five years at the earliest before I actually need these books, so I'll have to see. I may be getting a third interview offer next Wednesday. :D

Last edited:

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
So you obviously got an Adelaide and a Monash one...who's giving out interviews next Wednesday?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Newcastle. I called them today, since nobody else here could be bothered. :rolleyes:

Good thing I have those cheap Vietnamese call cards :)

For details on UNC interview offers, see my thread in the Newcastle forum.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hmmm i hope i get an interview for newcastle :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha non-Australians. Your tertiary fees are in the order of tens of thousands of dollars per semester! Our HECS is brilliantly lenient, the highest possible fee per semester is less than $7000. Take that Takuya :p

Oh yes, the reason we have interviews is that we don't want to pump out a bunch of intelligent yet socially inept doctors. What use is a doctor if patients aren't comfortable talking to her?

Last edited:

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Takuya,
why did you choose Osaka? are you planning on practicing in japan?

the thing i like about osaka is one of the emerging fields you can study, which blends psychology and medicine - clinical neuroscience...

oh..but its a bit worrying that they can't even spell 'graduate' correctly, several times on their med site :eek:

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Apparently Takuya lives there. Too bad they don't like foreign students or I'd go for Tokyo. :(
Try Ritsumeikan.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by j-belle
Try Ritsumeikan.
Oh? Do they like hairy barbarians like me? Because I like Japan. :D

I went for the Monbukagakusho scholarship, but I was turned down for my poor performance in the math exam (I only take 2 unit)...

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Hahaha. How good is your history of the world since 100000BC? I hear that's what is needed for that scholarship.

Ritsumeikan is not a very good University at all. Popular for foreigners, but you'll find the range (and quality) of courses offered leaves much to be desired.

Why choose Osaka??? Because that is my home town since recently coming to Australia with my parents. Although my parents both have Australian residency, they are moving back, therefore I must too. I need a year so I can learn the pre-requisite courses such as Physics, Chemistry and Biology in JAPANESE and at JAPANESE HIGH SCHOOL STANDARD before I enter. BoS standard will not be sufficient at all.

As a result, don't ask me how to explain complicated physics and chemistry in Japanese, because my knowledge will be limited to junior high school level due to learning all of that in English.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Takuya
Hahaha. How good is your history of the world since 100000BC? I hear that's what is needed for that scholarship.
Excellent, actually. :) But it's only from recorded prehistory (ie Babylonian civilization and onwards).
Ritsumeikan is not a very good University at all. Popular for foreigners, but you'll find the range (and quality) of courses offered leaves much to be desired.
I expected as much. No matter, I can do other things before going to Japan for academic reasons.
BoS standard will not be sufficient at all.
Just so you know,
  • BoS is Bored of Studies (this website and forum)
  • BOS is Board of Studies (idiots who set our syllabi)
Don't confuse them. ;)

Last edited:

Takuya

Banned
OK. Just don't hurry too much about going to Japan.

I have no choice so I have to go back to Japan, but I don't agree nor do I disagree with what my parents are making me do.

I hope you understand that in no way am I discouraging you from pursuing a career in Japan, but am trying to make you aware of issues you may not have noticed before. The English teaching Universities in Japan are mostly very mediocre academically, and although major Universities offer some degrees in English for the sake of foreigners and Japanese who are preparing for overseas work, the courses which are offered are Arts-type courses. I am under the impression that you seek more than what such a course has to offer. Also, you will have to pay a huge amount of money which is not government refundable (in your country, or Japan) for your University education in Japan, and you'll probably end up living on campus (which is not the most desirable place to live). Keep in mind that although you may have a good grasp on Japanese learned at high school level, you will find it hard living as a student in Japan, because in most cases people won't have time to explain everything slowly and clearly to you, and you will find it hard to keep up. I had the same problem in Australia, but listening to English, I imagine, is much easier than listening to Japanese. Also, at the moment Japan's economy is not the greatest, and you may end up with a degree which is only valid in Japan and as we know, Japan is cutting back many jobs and foreigners are finding it increasingly more difficult to find work in Japan and therefore many are moving back to USA / UK etc...

Many Japanese find it much more desirable to live in Australia, and understandably so. However, if you are to achieve this goal of yours, I suggest that you make some large considerations before putting your eggs in one basket and setting off to live the rest of your life as a foreigner in Japan. It will be extremely difficult.

It's different for me as I went to a good school in Osaka and my father is a very wealthy man who can 'pull a few strings' for me. However I also possess Japanese citizenship, residency so won't be difficult for me. Maybe only cultural re-adaption will be tricky!

But this brings me to one other thing -> At the moment it is hard to get STUDENT / WORK VISA in Japan, especially for Australians. However if you are New Zealander I believe there are special benefits.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I've heard plenty about the woeful expatriate conditions in Japan (I have a very good friend who was just brought back for retirement), and your post doesn't really surprise me. Of course, I am hoping that the Japanese economy will (dear God I can't believe I'm saying this) rally with China and pull up again within the next decade, because living independently there (ie not as an exchange student) will very likely not become a reality before then.

As you are no doubt aware I am a person of split loyalties, and I doubt I will be able to spend the rest of my life in either Europe or Japan, so I suppose the eggs will never be in a single basket for me. I can relate to your paternal luck (my parents being in a similar position) though I must say that being Catholic we are far more reluctant to execute such measures. :) Personally I am now quite glad that my application for Monbukagakusho was denied, as I will have far more resources at my disposal for studies here (not to mention better course options). I may never need to study in a Japanese university at all.

Thank you both very much for your help and advice, I am most grateful to have a current voice (rather than those who studies 20 years ago, or work for the government).

by the way, I agree whole-heartedly with your new image. And I only do 2 unit :(

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Grays Anatomy - we don't use it. Reason? There's just not enough time to comb through Moore AND Grays, and just no need for that much detail in most of the med course. If you buy it, and plan to use it, be prepared to be diligent. But yeah, the book is authoritative, and fantastic. Do they still have them at basement books? I want one! :)

Takuya

Banned
Originally posted by Lexicographer
I've heard plenty about the woeful expatriate conditions in Japan (I have a very good friend who was just brought back for retirement), and your post doesn't really surprise me. Of course, I am hoping that the Japanese economy will (dear God I can't believe I'm saying this) rally with China and pull up again within the next decade, because living independently there (ie not as an exchange student) will very likely not become a reality before then.

As you are no doubt aware I am a person of split loyalties, and I doubt I will be able to spend the rest of my life in either Europe or Japan, so I suppose the eggs will never be in a single basket for me. I can relate to your paternal luck (my parents being in a similar position) though I must say that being Catholic we are far more reluctant to execute such measures. :) Personally I am now quite glad that my application for Monbukagakusho was denied, as I will have far more resources at my disposal for studies here (not to mention better course options). I may never need to study in a Japanese university at all.

Thank you both very much for your help and advice, I am most grateful to have a current voice (rather than those who studies 20 years ago, or work for the government).

by the way, I agree whole-heartedly with your new image. And I only do 2 unit :(
I typically do not like to swear apart from when I'm singing in the band, but in this case, I will unleash my whole vocabulary on the people who set that 2U Mathematics paper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)