to speak or not to speak (1 Viewer)

butterflybird

HSC
Alright this forum is kind of dead so I'm just going to throw a topic out there to see what happens:

My teacher is always telling us that there are some things we shouldn't mention in speaking exams in case the markers are biased or will make assumptions about you. (For continuers at least)

For example I was told not to mention that I'd been to Italy for a few weeks, which I thought was quite strange considering that if they ask you about travelling it would be a great thing to prattle on about.
We were also told not to specifically state our school (obviously) but also whether its public/private... and we also shouldn't hint at where we live in case we get people who are biased towards the western suburbs or whatever.
I think we were also advised to avoid making political/religious statements in case we offend someone.

I was just wondering if anyone else had been told stuff like this, or whether you think it really matters or not.
Personally I think that so long as you speak well it shouldn't matter WHAT you say as such, in regards to particular opinions.
However I am inclined to take this advice just in case :p

BasketCase

ヴァネッサちゃん
HSC
yeah, they did.. not to mention suburbs and stuff.. but nothing about religion :S
and that ive been to italy 4 2 weeks? well im going to say 6 cause ive lived there!! but im not going to tell them that :s cause then theyll make my questions harder

HSC
doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of a conversation, i mean i can understand about particular suburbs and schools, with specific reference, but if we describe our surroundings isn't that part of the personal world of the student. Is it what we say (the content) or how we express ourselves that is more important? I'm so surprised that they had these rules or preferences.....

butterflybird

HSC
nah they're not rules, and i find it hard to believe that someone could consciously decide to give you a lower mark even if you did say anything like that
but this is just what we were advised 'just in case' i guess

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
We were told the same things but I think the thing about you having been in Italy is a little strange. Maybe because they may think you learnt a lot of your skills over there rather than in class?

belpen

Agreed

It's only guidelines - like I wouldn't say where I lived, I sort of give vague details like: "I wish I could be closer to the city" - but as if they can figure it out. Don't say your name, but just remember, it's always double marked - so if someone is harsh for you stating your political views, then it's likely yours will be remarked and awarded what you deserve.

About the italy thing - im confused too. I mean, I'm kind of obviously of italian origin to look at - so people assume I speak it at home...and I'm like erm try no. Anyway, I find it hard to make up stuff in blurbs, I'm a compulsive truth teller :)
good luck in speaking exams all - maybe we'll see each other there!

chibi_teazer

HSC
You are totally allowed to talk about Italy. Especially in the beginners course because they like to hear about it. Believe me. My teach is a marker and she's totally up for "my boyfriend is Italian - he has beutiful eyes" etc etc etc. She just said that you shouldn't say anything about your school and home suburb because that can be bad or good depending on accidental bias.

butterflybird

HSC
Hehe, well it's done now. I told them I hadn't been to Italy - probably easier that way coz then they would have asked all these probing questions about culture and the differences. She did specifically ask me what political party I'm with though, I was like :S and just said general things.

mcbec

HSC
yeah the whole dont talk about italy thing is completely wrong, u can definately talk about it!! my examiner asked if ive ever been overseas (and italy is the only place ive been overseas) so naturally i talked about that. she seemed fine with me talking about it she asked me all different questions about it like did i like the italian culture when i was there, how is italian life different to australian life, etc. She found it to be a good conversation topic, so whatever ur teacher told u was a load of bull, probly just being precautious but making it harder on u.

meiamgoodly

HSC
This is an old issue but im really bored!!! There is no way talking about Italy could be bad for your marks!! the markers arent allowed to be biased anyway all exams go through at least two people to get marked....

My teacher said to me make it up it doesnt matter if its true... if it shows of your skills then use it....

Bouna fortuna a tutti!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)