Too busy to read books? (1 Viewer)

d-alarmclock

HSC
So this year I've realised I haven't had any time to read books (or even watch movies). I've just been so busy with school work, I've only just skimmed my prescribed texts for advanced. Is this happening to anyone else?

I have this super long list of books I really am desperate to read, anyone have any suggestions on how or when I could organise my time so I can do so?

(AND any suggestions for any great books?)

Kymren

HSC
I have the same problem, so I decided that after me half yearly's I would read a book.
Otherwise I read for about 20 min before I go to bed to get my mind off things.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
i got through the hsc without reading any prescribed texts or watching any films. just make sure you understand whats going on and memorise a few quotes and you will be fine. it's not like your teacher will put you on the spot and say "what happened on page 156" or ask you to recite one of victors letters in frankenstein (or was it the creatures letter, tbh cant remember and don't care)

[My final mark for english was 78 BTW] so if you're aiming for 99.95 and all that almost impossible stuff then dont do the above (do the opposite)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In general, you should allocate some time to read through your prescribed text for English.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I always read my stuff on the train/bus/walking (in desperate situations). Sometimes it got pretty bad so I would read in class. But if you're really screwed, do a quick spark notes and read it as you go along so at least you have a general idea of what's going on.

matchalolz

HSC
I always read my stuff on the train/bus/walking (in desperate situations). Sometimes it got pretty bad so I would read in class. But if you're really screwed, do a quick spark notes and read it as you go along so at least you have a general idea of what's going on.
haha this :') so true, i was actually on sparknotes a few days ago during my english lesson because i hadn't yet read my prescribed text. for me if i got really desperate, i would probs read while i eat breakfast/lunch/dinner

D94

HSC
N/A
Since I'm fairly certain my teacher knew no one would be bothered reading, we read the prescribed texts together in class, as in students would read out loud. The teacher would raise important points, good quotes etc., and that's pretty much where I got my essay points from. Essay and creative writing was for 'homework', and all my 'other texts' were films so that made it kind of easier. Ended up with a high B5, so it kind of shows English isn't exactly how good an student can analyse texts etc, but rather take advantage of the resources available to them. Obviously essay writing would have had to been decent, but I did 3 other humanities subjects, so essay writing was second nature.

If my class was able to do this, what do you do in class?

D94

HSC
N/A
Well, I read my prescribed texts in the holidays. That way, whilst everyone else was learning the text for the first time, I was developing my own analysis.
Not quite sure how that is relevant, but good job. We did not know which texts we would be studying, so I could not have done that, even if I wanted to. But I was making a point that we had time to read the text together in class, and the fact that many students did decently well (which shows it wasn't just an individual case), what is the OP's class doing with their time then? Could it be more productive or useful?

simmyyy

HSC
I have like 10 books that I really want to read but I just don't get the chance, it's the same with tv shows too :(
I try to make sure as soon as I get home I spend Atleast 30 minutes where I give myself time to read, if you have a timetable or daily planner, make sure to schedule it in, that usually helps me as I set out my day. Perhaps even waking up a little bit earlier on the weekend to get some time to read should work too perhaps?
should check out catcher in the rye If you haven't already done so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

umbreller

HSC
Uni Grad
IMO you always have more time than you say you do. Personally I just try and read for every time i think of checking facebook/reddit lel, or just take a day to myself and go read in the sunshine. Total friggin zen.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
IMO you always have more time than you say you do. Personally I just try and read for every time i think of checking facebook/reddit lel, or just take a day to myself and go read in the sunshine. Total friggin zen.
lol at signature

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah, he was saying that he was surprised you didn't give an extensive response like you usually do.
Lol, didn't know I built a reputation upon my essay/extensive responses, I think the length of my answer sufficed in answering this particular question. I don't really write a lot unless I feel it is necessary to assist the particular individual who was posting a particular enquiry.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, didn't know I built a reputation upon my essay/extensive responses, I think the length of my answer sufficed in answering this particular question. I don't really write a lot unless I feel it is necessary to assist the particular individual who was posting a particular enquiry.
yeah you've built quite a reputation lol. but no matter sometimes it is best to keep it short and simple

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
If you think you are too busy, you will be too busy. If you want to find the time, you will.

The saying "if you want something done, give it to a busy person" is only halfway accurate. The most effective people don't think about being busy or not. They think about doing things, and how they can do things better (more productively, efficiently) rather than spending their time whingeing about being busy or stressed or whatever. For example, I never measured my study time by hours - I stopped when I felt I wasn't learning any more, or when I felt confident I knew enough. This does not just apply to school - it is rife in university and the working world.

If you are spending all your time on schoolwork, you're doing it wrong. And you should be thinking about how to study smarter. There's no prize for the person who works the hardest. There is for the one who beats the system.

Read that list of books, and your English performance will immediately and inexplicably improve. This is my secret and I've always shared it freely because I know only 1-2% of people will even take it seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)