top 10 schools? (1 Viewer)

hmmm

can anyone please tell me which skools are in da top 10 in order..thanx

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
U find out urself by working out the percentage that each school got Band 6 for (merit list mentions from number of students)

julzie

sarah, if its not too much trouble, could u pleas type em for me? i worked all day and didnt have time to get the paper :(

kini mini

HSC
I rang someone who told me Ruse came 1st and Grammar came 5th, I'm not in Sydney atm so I don't know more.

professor

In 21/12/2002 edition of Daily Telegraph is a list of top schools.
Top 10:
James Ruse
North Sydney Girls
Baulkham Hills
Hornsby Girls
Sydney Girls
Moriah College Queens Park
North Sydney Boys
Caringbah High
St George Girls
Sydney Grammar

Hope this helps :)

profernity

HSC
lists...i'd like to say pfft but i secretly love them as much as anyone else.

My school (Fort St High) came 16th, a drop from 10th last year, despite the view by many teachers and students in our school that we have done much better than the grades in the past - based on the number of ppl who got 99+. Our careers advisor has counted 30 so far, but he is expecting a few more.

A girl in my grade is an allrounder, receiving a UAI of 99.15. I received honour roll mentions for Ext I, Ext II Maths and Chemistry - and got a UAI of 99.15. So honour roll mentions are not always indicative of how schools perform (if you judge performance solely by UAI).

I guess I just wanted to tell everyone that I our school did very well, even if the papers tell you otherwise. You can find any statistic to skew into your favour - so Fort St came 6th in the allrounders list, will you be convinced that it's a good school? - I don't think the schools in the Top 10 will change but perhaps the order will (exc. JR of course), and that's important for the schools' bragging rights.

timmii

sporadic attendee
I cared about the lists when I was still at school. But now I am not I don't. Sadly, now, I'm nothing more than a statistic for them to manipulate as their propaganda machine goes into overdrive.

B

Bambul

That top 10 list is a bit misleading because it doesn't take into account the number of students and how many subjects they did. So it favours large schools whose students do more subjects (the second one is a bit questionable because you could argue that if a student does more subjects then they can't focus on fewer subjects and get higher marks in those).

I tried dividing the number of honour roll mentions by the number of students, which put James Ruse behind North Sydney Girls and Baulkham Hills.

Now before you NSG and Baulko people start cheering keep in mind that that is skewed towards schools that don't have accelerated students. eg. James Ruse says it had 211 students, but normally only 150-160 of them are in year 12, so a bit under 1/4 only did one subject (some do 2, like a combination of music/agriculture/SDD/IT/etc).

The percentage of English/Maths subjects in which students got above 90% is better, though it would have been best if there had been a figure that encompassed all subjects together, not just 2, although this was better than nothing.

That still put Ruse and North Sydney Girls at 1 and 2 respectively, though I haven't worked out how the rest go because then they start to become mixed (ie. Ruse came 1st in maths and English, NSG came second in maths and English then Baulkham Hills came 3rd in English whilst Meridian International came 3rd in maths).

Personally I wish they would bring back the top 5000 but apparently that's still too controversial.

profernity

HSC
I agree Bambul. The top 5000 should be brought back - after all, it's been moderated and scaled by the BOS and UAI so the scores have been universally agreed upon, not calculated by people from the newspapers - because like you said, some schools accelerate students to make the stats look better. In Yr 10, half our grade did Computer Studies general, and we had about 20 ppl getting honour roll mentions. That year our school was saved by the Year 10s - we barely scraped 100 mentions, and had the year 10s not been accelerated, then there would have been lost of questions asked.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
Does anyone know how the schools that didnt make the top 10 went?
im curious on how my school went...

chait

Originally posted by Orange Juice
Does anyone know how the schools that didnt make the top 10 went?
im curious on how my school went...
Redlands didn't make the top 30

pri

HSC
N/A
I was mortified fort street came 16th as well. Just when they started to do well and get to 10th, and we were counting on this grade to put us into the top 10.

Does this mean that the class of 2003 will have crappy scaling because the 2002 class didnt do so well? Does anyone kno how the individual school scaling actually works?

chait

Originally posted by Bambul
That top 10 list is a bit misleading because it doesn't take into account the number of students and how many subjects they did. So it favours large schools whose students do more subjects (the second one is a bit questionable because you could argue that if a student does more subjects then they can't focus on fewer subjects and get higher marks in those).............
for these reasons, i don't take these lists seriously. in reality, small schools may be performing better than the large schools who get high numbers of Hon. Mentions. should be calculated as a %age of students so that fairer comparisons across schools can be made.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
1. James Ruse Agricultural High School
2. North Sydney Girls High School
3. Baulkham Hills High School
4. Hornsby Girls High School
5. Sydney Girls High School
6. Moriah College Queens Park
7. North Sydney Boys High School
8. Caringbah High School
9. St. George Girls High School
10. Sydney Grammar School
11. Sydney Boys High School
12. Abbotsleigh
13. Ravenswood
14. Kambala
15. Fort Street High School
16. Ascham
17. Pymble Ladies College
18. Masada College
19. MLC Burwood
20. Sydney Technical High School
21. Roseville College
22. Loreto Kiribilli
23. Merewether High School
24. Meriden School
25. Gosford High School
26. SCEGGS Darlinghurst
27. Normanhurst Boys High School
28. Wenona
29. PLC Sydney
30. Santa Sabina College
31. Hurlstone Agricultural High School
32. Girraween High School
33. Cheltenham Girls High School
34. Conservatorium High School
35. Newcastle Grammar
36. Manly High School my school - shit
37. Shore

45. Barker College
46. Sefton High School
52. Loreto Normanhurst
54. Newington
55. Killara High School
61. Monte Sant Angelo
68. Brigidine St. Ives
71. Trinity Grammar
78. St Ives High School
98. Turramurra High School
104. Mercy College
110. St. Pius X College

B

Bambul

Originally posted by chait

for these reasons, i don't take these lists seriously. in reality, small schools may be performing better than the large schools who get high numbers of Hon. Mentions. should be calculated as a %age of students so that fairer comparisons across schools can be made.
Going on the absolute number of honour roll mentions can be misleading, but at the same time looking at number of mentions divided by the number of students also distorts the figure. The former favours large schools, the latter favours small schools (like the school a few years ago that only had 2 year 12's that were really smart and got a lot of subjects with 90+).

IMO the best option would be to divide the number of honour roll mentions a school gets by the number of subjects that the students did from the school. The median UAI is also a nice measure as it eliminates the UAI's of the worst performing students aswell as the best (thus removing possible distortions).

Originally posted by MinAi
36. Manly High School my school - shit
1. James Ruse Agricultural High School (my school - cool!) :rolleyes:

chait

Originally posted by Bambul

Going on the absolute number of honour roll mentions can be misleading, but at the same time looking at number of mentions divided by the number of students also distorts the figure. The former favours large schools, the latter favours small schools (like the school a few years ago that only had 2 year 12's that were really smart and got a lot of subjects with 90+).

IMO the best option would be to divide the number of honour roll mentions a school gets by the number of subjects that the students did from the school. The median UAI is also a nice measure as it eliminates the UAI's of the worst performing students aswell as the best (thus removing possible distortions).

yes i agree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)