Transfer from Economics to Commerce - it is worth? (1 Viewer)

FreyPies

HSC
I'm planning to transfer, but currently I have few questions about whether I should transfer or not.

I major in Econometrics and Finance, which indicates that I only have a few units left for electives.

This is my first year, and I currently have the average Distinction (hopefully I can maintain the average Distinction in the second semester); however my ATAR is only 90, which is lower than the B Com cut-off.

Some of my friends said that there are more opportunities if I transfer - such as the IPP program, etc.

However if I am going to transfer, I need to redo the compulsory units such as BUSS1001, BUSS1030, etc. This indicates that I will have no more electives to choose in the next two years and also I need to extend my studying period to a total of 3 and 1/2 years to complete the Commerce junior units.

---------------------------------

Is it still worth to transfer? Is there really any difference if I can get the similar WAM with Economics or Commerce, especially when finding jobs?
Can some of the economics junior units be equivalent to the commerce junior units?

Thanks a lot guys :)

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
The IPP is the main benefit of the BComm degree, so the question you need to ask yourself is whether you think that's worth an extra 6 months plus the loss of electives.

In my opinion, it is certainly not worth the transfer, especially since there are now more opportunities for students in the Arts and Social Sciences Faculties (look up the UCLA exchange and the ArtSS Career Ready program).

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
No point transferring unless you're transferring to do two majors in a B.comm that aren't eco.

That said the IPP program is basically a free internship at solid companies, so weigh your pros and cons

pHyRe

HSC
No point transferring unless you're transferring to do two majors in a B.comm that aren't eco.

That said the IPP program is basically a free internship at solid companies, so weigh your pros and cons
free both ways though, its a good program but its a fair bit lost in potential wages too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)