Transfer (1 Viewer)

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
I'm in my first semester of Science/Law at the moment. It shats me!! Science was a big mistake. Does anyone have info on what a transfer to Arts/Law would involve...

Can I do it mid-year?
What sort of credit would I get from my current chemistry/physics/maths, and how would I go about making up any missing credits? How much longer at uni would I be looking at?
How do I actually apply to do this?

Cheers.

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
I'm sure you can apply for the transfer internally without going through UAC. There shouldn't be any difficulties in transferring from law/sci to law/arts, because you're not transferring into a degree which has a higher UAI.
Its probably best you go to the student office and they'll guide you through.

In terms of credit points, I doubt any of your science credit points will be credited towards your arts component (depending on what you plan to major in arts), you would've only done like 12 credits points for science so far (i'm assuming you're doing 12 for sci and 12 for law this semester), so that'd mean you'd have to catch up on 12 credit points. Which might not mean you having to spend more time at uni completing your law/art degree. You might be allowed to do 30 credit points per semester rather than prescribed 24, which means u don't need to spend like an extra semester at uni.

Hope that all made a bit of sense :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Go talk to the Arts faculty office as soon as possible, but I think you're going to run into some major problems moving mid-year. I'm assuming you are doing 18 credit points of Science this semester, and 6 credit points of Law - that's what it was when I was first year Science/Law. You may be allowed to keep some credit for Science, especially if you are doing any psychology, as it is in both faculties (Science and Arts) - that will depend on Arts / Law degree rules - but I think the bigger problem is what you would do in second semester. You probably won't have the prerequisites for second semester Arts subjects. You should talk to the faculty office ASAP, IMO.

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
thanks heaps guys. very helpful. i'll email them asap.

Collin

HSC
N/A
scut and CM_Tutor, what do you think of my chances for a successful transfer from B Science to B Science (Nutrition) mid year? I've practically parallelled the subjects for Nutrition so far, but the UAI difference is about 5 points. (BSc = 85, BSc (N) = 90).

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Reasonable if there is a place available (which is likely, as some people will drop out) and if your marks in first semester are sufficiently good. (What is sufficiently good, I hear you ask - Well, its hard to know, but straight HDs would definitely help, and straight Ps probably wouldn't - although that'd be better than a couple of Fs. :))

Collin

HSC
N/A
From the beginning of the year, I was explained that in terms of marks, I simply needed to maintain a credit average.

However, that was for transfer at the END of the year.. I wonder if I would need to perform better to transfer mid year.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Get the best marks you can - it shows motivation and dedication to your studies, which will obviously help your case for transferring to a higher entyr course.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I'm practically studying my arse off these holidays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)