Travelling in Japan (1 Viewer)

AppleQuirks

HSC
Just wondering if you guys knew any awesome places that are a must to visit in Japan. I'm in year 10 atm and i've decided that after my HSC I want to travel Japan for a month or so. I'm really into the pop culture etc (surprise surprise?) but I would like to know about things to see and do in Japan.

kev-kun

HSC
Run with a piece of bread in your mouth and bump into a girl of your dreams (just kidding hahahaha)

Okay if you want to go to Japan usually the popular spots are Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. Tokyo is your pop culture place which has quite a few places that would empty your wallet. So essentially its a good place for shopping. But other than that, there are temples such as Asakusa Temple, and tourist attractions such as Tokyo Tower, Skytree (forgot its name) and the Imperial Palace (though you can't go inside). Also Mt Fuji is very popular but probably the best time to go there is NOT during winter since you can't go high enough to see it well since the roads are slippery. Shopping destinations are mainly Shibuya, Shinjuku and Akibahara (there's more but that's what I can think of so far). By pop culture do you mean anime/manga? Not sure. Kyoto are your temples and such - cultural attraction of Japan. Osaka not really sure since I've never been there but Universal Studios and the food there is seemingly good.

Okinawa and the cities north are you ski resorts and such so those are some things to investigate.

That's all I can think of haha...

http://www.dannychoo.com/
http://www.japantravel.com.au/ These website should help in a bit of info. Good luck XD

AppleQuirks

HSC
Thanks, I didn't know about the ski lodges etc in the north, ill look them up.

Also I've heard about akihabara, it looks amazing.

spatula232

HSC
My mate is Japanese and when they go over they always go skiing. Dont know if thats any help :p

Shazer2

HSC
I can vouch, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima are all great. :)

Rowan2020

Banned
HSC
I have spent a lot of time in Japan last year with my family now i am ready to go Japan especially for touring because it is one of the country especially for travelling and enjoyment purpose and every tourists have liked that country because there are lot of historical places in this country,AM i right dude???????Do you like that country especially for travelling?

nojess

HSC
my favourite place was probably Nagano
sooo lovely!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
The above places are all good.Each city is in it sort, distinctively different. Kyoto does feel alot more traditional, Osaka is it's own thing entirely,I feel like Osaka is alot more energetic and is sort of like a rival feel to Tokyo,even though they're meant to be similar,there culture is distinctively different, so don't think that visiting Tokyo means you shouldn't visit Osaka even if others say so.Tokyo is Tokyo,feels really busy and large, just like a major capital should.(alot more busy then Sydney though,(not saying Sydney is capital lol)).

If you're going after HSC that means around the winter time,so if you want to do some snow activities I really suggest going to Sapporo and going skiing there,it's a major destination during winter and they have some good winter facilities plus awesome winter festivals(ice sculptures and other cool things).

Apart from what others have said, Nara is a pretty good place to visit for the history but also the wild deer which roam around the temple and which you can feed and touch. Takayama is also a cool place, it's got a preserved from history town, which you can walk around and get lots of souvenirs and stuff(there's stuff like ninjas and all that haha, lots of movies film there!). Himeji near Hiroshima is a cool place to see the huge feudal castle,among other things.

Really though if you're mostly into just pop culture stuff,Osaka and Tokyo will be enough.In Tokyo alone you can spend around 2 weeks there with still some stuff to see after, and you definitely wont be bored. Osaka you can spend around a week,so that's basically your holiday planned for the pop culture scene. If you got a few days to spare definitely head up to Kyoto or Nara,each city really has it's own feel apart from fundamentals.

Rowan2020

Banned
HSC
Buddy i also have spent a lot time in japan with my family,japan is full of historical places,In according to me it is one of the beautiful country even then every tourists have love that country.I am very excited to see that you have lot of knowledge about japan country.Am i right dude???

bonneenuit

HSC
man, i would go there again at least 1 time for the rest of my life. the people,culture and behavior are so distinctively interesting.

one important thing: if you plan on going to japan, try to have a japanese mate or someone knows and speak japanese with you because they dont speak much english in japan. tourism is fine but the exploration time is limited.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I went there in 2009.

Spent most time in Osaka, but also went to Kyoto, Tokyo, Hiroshima, Nara and Himeji.

It was absolutely fantastic and one of my favourite travel trips I've done (probs Africa just eclipses it)-but there are some parts of Japan I'd really love to see that I didn't get the chance to, like up north, the ski fields etc.

liuque

HSC
yeaaa travelling to japan after hsc as well
But focuses on anime and manga stuff.. so would be spending more time in tokyo shopping lol

Haruka

HSC
Hopefully going to do an intensive language course in Japan before starting uni. My uncle and aunt live there, so most likely staying in Fukuoka (it's in the south) with them. It's my dream to work for a company over there, so I'm hoping to get into an Arts/Commerce double major and continue my study of Japanese.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
yeaaa travelling to japan after hsc as well
But focuses on anime and manga stuff.. so would be spending more time in tokyo shopping lol
Around what dates are you going?

Going mid jan-end of jan with a couple of friends. Going to be ..awesome.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Going skiing there at the end of the year, let you know how it goes :) But the northern region is quite peaceful (i.e. Sapporo) and Osaka is a good city area to be in

Emily Howard

HSC
is japan better den south korea? tossin up which country to go to nxt tym i decide to pack me bags on a whim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)