Trial or HSC (1 Viewer)

dragons2011

HSC
N/A
Hey i just wanted to know what is more important, doing well in your HSC exams or your trial exams?

K

khorne

hsc obviously, it's worth 50% of your mark, trials are usually worth 40% internal (20% external)

Alkanes

HSC
Trials are more important than the HSC imo, because they'll determine your rank. Say if you were top rank in your school, but you totally flop out in the HSC, it's still ok because you would still be getting the highest mark. But i think both of them are important.

Dylanamali

HSC
Trials are more important than the HSC imo, because they'll determine your rank. Say if you were top rank in your school, but you totally flop out in the HSC, it's still ok because you would still be getting the highest mark. But i think both of them are important.
nah thats wrong.. if you flop in HSC, your screwed.. you ALWAYS keep your external mark.. only your internal mark is moderated.

tambam

HSC
Haha, what? This is wrong on so many levels.

Alkanes

HSC
Lol well that's how i think of it. Because don't trials determine your final rankings for internals?

clry

HSC
yes, but your ranking doesn't change your external exam mark, what you get in the external will always count as 50% (correct?). Your ranking only determines how your internal 50% is moderated..

x_cp3

HSC
Alkanes got a point, i agree with him somewhat. Trials are worth a lot for internals, so its really important that you kill it, to boost up your final ranks.

Dylanamali

HSC
Lol well that's how i think of it. Because don't trials determine your final rankings for internals?
Trials CAN determine your final ranking for internals.. they can because they are usually with 30-40% of your internal marks and can thus effect your rank greatly. However, even if you don't do exceptionally well in trials doesn't mean you can't come first, coz there is still the other 60-70% beforehand.

In saying this.. HSC is way more important than trials.. In the HSC everyone keeps their own marks, however internal assessments are always moderated. Your aim is to do well internally - and rank highly.. it doesn't matter about the raw mark (only the rank). And then perform VERY well in the HSC as the HSC is worth so much - 50% of your total HSC mark..

K

khorne

Trials are important, but they are not MORE important than final exam.

Chambalam

HSC
High rank + bad hsc = low atar
low rank + good hsc = high(ER) atar

Chambalam

HSC
On the note of trials. If, in the remaining trials I have a margin of 10-25% between myself and rank 2, does it really help if i were to extend that further? Or is it kind of a moot point with the remaining exams...? (the ones with the big margins)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
HSC External exam. No contest.

Dylanamali

HSC
On the note of trials. If, in the remaining trials I have a margin of 10-25% between myself and rank 2, does it really help if i were to extend that further? Or is it kind of a moot point with the remaining exams...? (the ones with the big margins)
Does not matter if your 1st by 0.1% or by 30%.. well for you.. For him it will matter how far behind he is as 2nd.

clry

HSC
Bigger margin means that when your internal is moderated, you will be be further from 2nd. So yes, it's definitely in your best interest to get the biggest margin possible.

Dylanamali

HSC
Bigger margin means that when your internal is moderated, you will be be further from 2nd. So yes, it's definitely in your best interest to get the biggest margin possible.
Not really.. coz 1st will just obtain the best external mark for their internal so there is no moderation.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
HSC External exam. No contest.
/thread

Something worth 50% of your HSC mark or something worth around 20-25% of your final HSC mark? I know what I'd choose.

michaeljennings

HSC
Trials are worth a lot for internals
This statement is invalid since difference schools weight their trials differently. For example most of my trials are worth 30% of my internal mark. I would hardly call that a lot since its about the same as each of the other assessments we did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)