Trial Question.. ! HELP (1 Viewer)

Kukudas

HSC > WOW
HSC
HELP ME PLEAES

Q. Compare 'Collection of Sound Waves' and 'Energy transfer involved in stimulating the cochlear nerve' in
Mammalian ear and Cochlear Implant

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
Kukudas said:
HELP ME PLEAES

Q. Compare 'Collection of Sound Waves' and 'Energy transfer involved in stimulating the cochlear nerve' in
Mammalian ear and Cochlear Implant
Hmmmm this is a weird one...there's two dot poitns blended.

ill try but, cochlear in the mammalian ear contains the organ of corti which consists of hair cells (receptors), which play the role of detecting sounds of various frquencies (sound waves). Basically the cochlear is snail-like structure cosnsisting of short and long hairs that are triggered by various sound waves. The hairs closest to the oval window detect sound waves of high frequencies, whereas sounds of low frequency are able to travel futher in the cochlear and collect these sound waves further in the apex (which is like the centre of the snail shell, where the curl starts in the centre)...

for energy transfer, the outer ear consists of the pinna which collects and channels sound waves through the auditory canal to the middle ear, where the tympanic membrane, otherwise known as the ear drum, vibrates and converts the sound waves i nto mechanical/physical energy, i nthe form of vibrations, the ear ossicle then amplifies tehse vibrations and is sent through to the inner ear, until it reaches the organ of corti, the hair cells detect these vibrations causing the basialr membrane to vibrate, thus pushing the hair cells, which inturn convert the mechanical energy to electrochemical energy that is sent to the brain along the auditory nerve.

Cochlear Implant:
detection of soudn waves, im not so sure for cochlear implants...(if anyone can answer this, fill me in)

energy transfer:
|the microphone picks up sound energy, then the microprocessor converts it to electrical code, sent to the transmitter where its converted to electrical pulses which in turn stimulate the cochlear nerves as electrochemical energy.

yeah im not so sure onteh differences between the electrical code, and electrical pulse...

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
A cochlear implant is a small, complex electronic device that can help to provide a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly deaf or severely hard of hearing. It bypasses damaged parts of the inner ear and electronically stimulates the auditory nerve. Part of the device is surgically implanted in the skull behind the ear and tiny electrode wires are inserted into the cochlea. The other part of the device is external and has a microphone, a speech processor (to convert sound into electrical impulses), and connecting cables.

An implant does not restore or create normal hearing. Instead, it can give a deaf person a useful auditory understanding of the environment and help him or her to understand speech. Unlike a hearing aid which amplifies sound, cochlear implants compensate for damaged or non-working parts of the inner ear. It electronically finds useful sounds and then sends them to the brain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)