TRIALS -- Is it too late to start writing up notes? (1 Viewer)

Brontecat

HSC
well, making your own notes is pretty effective, however it takes a LOT of time.
I would advise you for now , just get other people's notes from this website, learn them, and apply to the PAST PAPERS.
I have done that for my last topic for physics, cause I didnt manage to write up notes, I just got other notes and studied. I know, its not as effective as doing your own notes, but its the best thing to do at this point of time. Past papers are far more important, so just do them!!
Personally i would say that making notes is a lot more important than doing past papers, last year i started the hsc course for bio at around this time and i found that knowing the information is a lot more important than doing papers which only test a small portion of the entire course. There's still plenty of time ( i have trials in week 6/7 and will be doing this), even if your notes are a bit briefer than you'd like. Besides it helps you prepare for the HSC exam which is generally worth a good 20% more than your trial exam. But like i said before it is really a personal preference thing, if you learn better from doing past papers then go for it :)

Thanks Maplestory for your answer (and others :))
Im just wondering, which past papers should I do? Im thinking of doing the past 9 BOS HSC papers, but there is also many past school trial papers as well. Also, I have Excel 'Revise in a month HSC' and Excel HSC complete course books (the step by step guide to HSC success), are these worth my time, or should I just focus on summary's then past papers and maybe some textbook questions too?
As a general guide the excel revise in a moneth HSC guides are way to brief to offer any sort of benefit (judging from the biology, senior science & business studies ones). If it came down to textbook questions or past papers I would go for the past papers hands down.

um if you're getting 30~ raw then you should probably make notes. or AT THE VERY LEAST read over other peoples notes there are quite a few good ones on the resources part of the site you'll need them for HSC anyway so it shouldnt be TOO late perhaps just read off others for trials
+1

catherinebell20

HSC
N/A
I have done that for my last topic for physics, cause I didnt manage to write up notes, I just got other notes and studied. I know, its not as effective as doing your own notes, but its the best thing to do at this point of time. Past papers are far more important, so just do them!!

Minute Mirth

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
^same. die english.
that being said, my english teacher is a legend. :D but still... I hate english

intodisco

HSC
Thanks for your input Brontecat.
So what I have gathered is that making your own notes is the best thing, but if you don't have the time, study somebody elses, or use theirs to make up your notes.
And do past papers in preference to textbook questions/excel books (assuming you have already learnt the content through the summaries).

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
I don't see what's with all the hate on English!
Relatively ease + beefy scaling = great subject :D

Pyramid

HSC
I've started a few Chem notes and I think it's the way to go...

I don't see what's with all the hate on English!
Relatively ease + beefy scaling = great subject :D
I dunno...I find English frustrating and unjust. You can look deep within your text and get nowhere, not least anywhere near any marks. Seems you can just flog a memorised response half the time and win.

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
No, actually I'm not asian or curry.

Last edited:

HeroineSlow

~ aigoo...
HSC
man, i have literally 11 days until my trials and i havent studied at all...
i have to finish off all my notes, which is basically doing 2 topics for each subject...

bouncing

HSC
man, i have literally 11 days until my trials and i havent studied at all...
i have to finish off all my notes, which is basically doing 2 topics for each subject...
probably a better use of yoru time would just be as everyone has suggested (due to time constraints) just to dl some for TRIALS (EMPHASIS ON TRIALS - meaning make your own later to help develop ur OWN knowledge) and just to CRAM HARDCORE for trials by doing past papers, and focusing on areas which you are unsure of

when you're cramming skip all the stuff you knwo also talk to walls by teaching them things :) you will retain more information!

Daniel 2010

HSC
I am also in this situation, as im sure half of my year is too.
Having my trials in week 5, but I have 3 20% assessment task due before then.
I have already done summary's for half of my course, in all my subject (did them for the half yearly), but now I realise that after looking at other summary's from the BoS resource page, my summaries are not of good quality.
I have already done glossary terms for all the subjects, so I have read all of the textbook well enough to understand the concepts. Although I have done zero past papers or textbook questions, I do have a sound understanding of the topics.
Is it better for me to:
a) write out my own summaries, or
b) use other peoples summaries and synthesis them into my own,
c) or just do past papers and textbook questions?
(just a rewording of the OP's orginal question)
I think a lot of people are in the same boat, you have to understand the Assessment component of your Hsc mark is only based on rank. To maximise your Trial marks the best method would be to go through as many past papers as you can with a 'fine tooth comb'. Summaries are excellent at reinforcing your knowledge, however, getting a firm grasp and understanding of past examples and questions will result in an overall greater mark in my opinion.

Despite my recommendation, keep in mind that different subjects operate in different ways, e.g. many of the concepts and topics in Economics are interelated and without a firm understanding of each individual topic/isse success is pretty much impossible.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
I started writing up notes 2 hours before my extension exam.

It's never too late.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)