Trials vs HSC- Which marks (raw) are higher? (1 Viewer)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Are trial marks a rough guide to our hsc raw marks or have people had better/worse raw hsc marks.

Generalised yes, but i just want to know the norm.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
TBH it depends on how much you studied. If you've been doing continual revision and had what you thought, was a performance reflective of your ability, than yes the mark might be similar. You also have to factor in how easy/harsh we're marked.

Makematics

HSC
for sciences im pretty sure hsc raw marks would be lower. at most schools top trial marks are in the 90s, while in the hsc a raw mark of 90 is worthy of a state rank.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I reckon raw marks are higher, just because people study a lot more before the HSC.

E.g. for bio I got 70% and chem I think I got 59% in my trials? - I got a band 6 for both of the subjects

iBibah

HSC
I reckon for higher achieving students the raw marks would be close (obviously depends on difficulty of trial but i mean generally)

But for students who achieve in the low-mid range there is more potential for improvement, hence HSC mark would be higher.

(this is assuming they study consistently in some way)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I reckon for higher achieving students the raw marks would be close (obviously depends on difficulty of trial but i mean generally)

But for students who achieve in the low-mid range there is more potential for improvement, hence HSC mark would be higher.

(this is assuming they study consistently in some way)
Your theory makes sense, i never thought of that.

Thanks everyone though

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
TBH it depends on how much you studied. If you've been doing continual revision and had what you thought, was a performance reflective of your ability, than yes the mark might be similar. You also have to factor in how easy/harsh we're marked.
No and No. Section 3 for business was no where near my ability :L

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on how difficult your school's trial exam is relative to the HSC exam, but to be honest it is irrelevant.

The trial exam is a key determinant of your school rank (usually around 50% of your school assessment mark). The marks your school gives you are irrelevant since they are moderated by the external exam.

Your school effectively submits a rank for each student to the BOS.

The external exam marks for everyone in your class are then added up, and distributed according to your rank. This is your moderated assessment mark.

The student who ranked 1st in your year gets the top moderated assessment mark (even if they did not actually score it). The student who ranked last gets the bottom moderated assessment mark (even if they didn't score it).

However, your HSC mark= Average (moderated assessment mark + external exam mark)

Therefore you obviously want to get a high external exam mark as possible even if you have a high school rank....

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
It depends on how difficult your school's trial exam is relative to the HSC exam, but to be honest it is irrelevant.

The trial exam is a key determinant of your school rank (usually around 50% of your school assessment mark). The marks your school gives you are irrelevant since they are moderated by the external exam.

Your school effectively submits a rank for each student to the BOS.

The external exam marks for everyone in your class are then added up, and distributed according to your rank. This is your moderated assessment mark.

The student who ranked 1st in your year gets the top moderated assessment mark (even if they did not actually score it). The student who ranked last gets the bottom moderated assessment mark (even if they didn't score it).

However, your HSC mark= Average (moderated assessment mark + external exam mark)

Therefore you obviously want to get a high external exam mark as possible even if you have a high school rank....
""""Say the raw assessment mark school sends to the BOS is 75. then say this mark is moderated according to the external exam performance and becomes 76. However there is a step of aligning after this (which is similar to aligning the external exam marks to corresponding band cut offs). So, say a moderated school assessment mark of 76 for history would align to a mid band 5."""

This is what somebody told me. Can anyone confirm or deny this> ?

moocow920

HSC
I think for papers like independant schools or CSSA most people will get a few marks higher in the HSC due to the revision and improvement that occurs in the time inbetween, because I'm pretty sure those papers are similar in difficulty to actual HSC papers. With school written papers I don't know if it would be different.

For maths actually they showed us a graph of the cohorts trial marks on x axix and hsc marks on y axis, and created a line of best fit so you could use it like a conversion graph to get an estimate of what your trial mark could correspond to based on last years results. Based on that my 87 in trials turned into I think a 93/94 HSC mark? I ended up with a final rank of 2nd though

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
""""Say the raw assessment mark school sends to the BOS is 75. then say this mark is moderated according to the external exam performance and becomes 76. However there is a step of aligning after this (which is similar to aligning the external exam marks to corresponding band cut offs). So, say a moderated school assessment mark of 76 for history would align to a mid band 5."""

This is what somebody told me. Can anyone confirm or deny this> ?
fml

you ask me everyday on ask.fm and I've explained to you over 100 times

YOU HAVE A RAW INTERNAL OF 60% - THAT'S WHAT YOU GOT OVER THE YEAR

then... EVERYONE IN YOUR COHORT goes inside the exam hall and completes the exam

BOS GETS THE ALIGNED MARKS OF THAT EXAM, WHICH FORMULATE THE EXAM MARK - then that's how moderation is applied with the ALIGNED EXAM MARK, there's no "aligning" to moderation, it's just giving the highest exam mark to the first person, lowest to the last, and everyone is in between those two numbers - they are then moderated based on the gaps between each person

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)