Triangles/Max-Min Question (1 Viewer)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Consider all triangles formed by lines passing through the point (8/27, 9) and both the x and y axis.

a) Show that the length of the hypotenuse (h) is h = sqrt(x^2 + (9x/(x-(8/27)))^2)
b) Find the value of x that will give the shortest hypotenuse

For Part a, having deduced h = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) I tried to find y through the point-gradient formula (subbing in 8/27, 9) which yielded no results, or if it did, there must have been a mistake in my algebra. I had also started on using a method involving similar triangles but I thought I was making too many assumptions so I didn't pursue that any further.

For Part b, having differentiated h I got (2x+(9(x-(8/27))-9x)/(x-(8/27))^2) / 2sqrt(x^2 + 9x/(x-(8/27)) which was quite ugly, equating to zero I eventually got something which resembled an equation reducible to quadratics except it had an extra variable in there which was difficult to do anything with.

Any suggestions?

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
Ummm.... the shortest hypotenuse is simply h=0 as per the case when the equation of the line is 8y=243x.

Did you mean the positive x and positive y axis?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
The question didn't say anything specifying otherwise. But I think that is implied, yes.

As for the hypotenuse I'm pretty sure it can't equal zero; Part B is worth 4 marks so it don't think it's that simple.

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
The question didn't say anything specifying otherwise. But I think that is implied, yes.

As for the hypotenuse I'm pretty sure it can't equal zero; Part B is worth 4 marks so it don't think it's that simple.
Yes it can be equal to zero. Please refer to my example of the case where the line is in the form y=mx and passing through the given point. I answered the question according to what was given, and there was no such specification that x>0 and y>0. If I got this question in an exam and the marker gave me zero marks for giving the answer "h=0" along with my example, then I will fight to the death for those 4 marks.

As for the question, note that m<0 and that m is a function of x and y.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yeah when I was using the point-gradient formula I had m = -y/x where m<0 and m is a function of x and y as you have said, after expanding I couldn't get the answer, so it might have been due to an algebraic error if that method was correct.

The only thing I forgot to add from this question was a given diagram with an example of two such triangles where x>0 and y>0, so I was implying from that. That being said, the question makes no reference to the possibility that the triangles could be in the negative axes, so I can understand the ambiguity. Sorry for the confusion.

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
Yeah when I was using the point-gradient formula I had m = -y/x where m<0 and m is a function of x and y as you have said, after expanding I couldn't get the answer, so it might have been due to an algebraic error if that method was correct.

The only thing I forgot to add from this question was a given diagram with an example of two such triangles where x>0 and y>0, so I was implying from that. That being said, the question makes no reference to the possibility that the triangles could be in the negative axes, so I can understand the ambiguity. Sorry for the confusion.
No worries :)

Now your function for m in terms of x and y is actually incorrect. What you have there implies that the line goes through the origin, but that is not necessarily the case.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
OK.....but if you sub in (0,0) to the gradient you get an undefined answer, so wouldn't that mean it doesn't pass through the origin? I don't know, what gradient did you get?

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
The Gradient formula is for some constants x_1 and y_1, which we will let be the coordinate given. The case when it passes through the origin contradicts what I said before about m<0.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Ummm.... the shortest hypotenuse is simply h=0 as per the case when the equation of the line is 8y=243x.

But by definition that wouldn't be classified as a triangle unless the question stated otherwise, so h=0 is not included.

barbernator

HSC
for a triangle to be formed with the positive x axis, and the positive y axis, the gradient has to be negative does it not? if fus is assuming the point at the origin is a degenerate triangle, that is not really inclusive of the line anyways

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I think I've got an answer for b, but it was long and tedious, and I had to use a bit of guesswork and a graphing calculator for the last bit (although I could have found it myself using calculus but it would've taken much longer).

There's definitely a better way to do this though, any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)