Tricky Geometry Help! (1 Viewer)

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Hey guys, this question isn't exactly Extension II maths, but I coudn't find a better place to put it, since i'm quite sure it's not 2 or 3 unit maths either. I have been stuck on this question for almost a week now...

An isosceles triangle ABC is drawn, with AB = AC, with the vertex angle 20*. From B to AC (call it E), a line is drawn, so that an angle of 20* is made with BC. A similar line is drawn from C to say, D (on AB) so that an angle of 30* is made with BC. Call the point where these two lines intersect O.

DE is connected. Now, find angle ODE and angle OED

Last edited:

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
doesnt make any sense, if angle BEC is also 20 degrees and becasue angle ACB and angle ABC is 80 degree becasue of the isosceles property of triangle, and also using triangle EBC u can work out that angle EBC is ALSO 80 degrees, this is screwed cos that would mean tha angle ABC is equal to angle EBC.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Don't worry about it, there's nothing wrong with the question, but I have the solution. Probably the hardest question I have ever seen.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Can someone provide a diagram with every info on it. I cbf drawing it (can't find my bloody ruler)

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Nope the angles are not equal to that. I would draw it for you if I had some sort of non-paint oriented program =(

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
gurmies said:
From B to AC (call it E), a line is drawn, so that an angle of 20* is made with BC. A similar line is drawn from C to say, D (on AB) so that an angle of 30* is made with BC
you need to specify: does BEC = 20 or BEA= 20?

same for CDA or CDB?

cheers

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Is angle ODE = 10 and angle OED = 30?
I'm pretty sure that's wrong 'cause when I did all my working
I made a few mistakes here and there, so half my working is incorrect, and I'm assuming you need to sub a lot of stuff into other stuff?

gurmies

Drover
HSC
lolokay, it is 17' 53", you are a complete genius. The mathematics staff at UNSW could not solve this one, except for my tutor.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
gurmies said:
answer is p long...
Hahahaha...that's a great call.

But you have a responsibility to post up an answer if you have got one (and if other people don't know really well).

I can see that it is related to the manipulation of the tonnes of trigonometry and algebra. But can you at least guide me to the right direction?

gurmies

Drover
HSC
ahah, sure dude..sorry if you guys thought I was being a dickhead...I really wasn't:) But 1: it's not my solution, it's my tutors. 2: it's actually long. Perhaps I'll scan his answer..

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
gurmies said:
ahah, sure dude..sorry if you guys thought I was being a dickhead...I really wasn't:) But 1: it's not my solution, it's my tutors. 2: it's actually long. Perhaps I'll scan his answer..
Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)