Trotsky Timeline... (1 Viewer)

Jess241186

HSC
this question and the one that followed it were extremely similar...
1.outline the main features in the public life of Leon Trotsky in the period you have studied.
2. Evaluate the role of Leon Trotsky in Bolshevik successes in the period 1917-1924
did anyone else think these were a stupid series of questions??

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I thought it was a bit stupid. I talked about almost the exact same things in both of them... I mean, most of the stuff he did in public contributed to Bolshevik success, right? hmm...

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
starbaaa said:
I thought it was a bit stupid. I talked about almost the exact same things in both of them... I mean, most of the stuff he did in public contributed to Bolshevik success, right? hmm...
right, in a way were lucky to get it because we only have to talk about the same thing.

myrna

HSC
the first 1 is a describe the second one was an evaluate

the difference between the first and 2nd part was i think to use the facts of part a in part b but futher extend this information by evaluating the role he played ie by stating how important he was in the consolidation of power...

i think the second question is meant to be harder then the first one...

i hope i provided help in showing the difference :)

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Yeah, what I did was in part i, I was saying "Trotsky did this, and Trotsky did this, and a little bit of this over here, and then he died", while in part ii, I was saying "Trotsky did this, and it significantly contributed to Bolshevik success because of that". And I ended up talking about the same things, but in part i, I was just saying what happened, whereas in part ii I was saying how significant the things were for the Bolsheviks. So the questions were different, but the content eded up being very similar, just worded a little different.

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
I felt that Part 1 was a lot broader because it referred to his 'public' life in the period we have studied - so essentially it goes a bit before he joined the Bolsheviks with his organising various protests etc. and then after he was exiled for the last time when he continued to write papers/essays etc. about communism and slandering Stalin until his death. Because the question referred to the period that we have studied, I just took it as until the end of the Russia topic, obviously stopping when he died.

Part 2 was condensing the important parts of his public life that were associated with the Bolshevik consolidation of power - so yeah obviously I did repeat things said in Part 1, however they were more in relation to how and why it helped assert Bolshevik success.

:) I'm so glad the exam's over! YAY.

supergirl

HSC
the bio question said 'in the period you have studied' and i didnt realise until after so i had like two paragraphs on his birth and background and stuff... do you think that will matter? i mean, i wrote a lot in the 20 mins [ 6 pages] but i think they might look down on my answer instantly coz i didnt read the question properly.
thoughts?

in other news, i thought part ii was the best question they could have possibly asked. they basically let us pick what we liked best about trotsky rather than specifying civil war or whatever like in the past. absolutely brilliant.

jackal8

HSC
its not necessary to write about prior 1917 trotsky si it... i just stuck to 1917 to 1940.

i didnt even write when he was born, for the sake of space saving

Cityboy

HSC
For question 1 you needed to start before 1917, as Trotsky's public life began in 1905 when he was the head of the Petrograd Soviet.

motown

That's wrong, whilst reference to pre 1917 might be nice in an introduction it was cretainly not necessary. The key words being "in the period you have studied" which dictates 1917-1945 or in Trotsky's case 1917-1940.

supergirl

HSC
Yes, we did study Trotsky's birth and background but that was merely to give us an idea on what happened. However, the BOS dictates that the individual study is aligned with the National Study, and Russia and the Soviet Union is restricted from 1917 - 1945.

C

Crazy Pomo

Cityboy said:
My mistake
Cityboy continues to make mistakes. Cityboy backs down. A rare occasion. Did you fuck historiography up the arse for your National Study of Russia aswell?

lee26

HSC
apparently when we were ment to be discussing trtskys importance, we could have gone against the question and said he was a failure cause he didnt contribute to the country cause he lost the power struggle and didnt help with the caue of the people or somthin like that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)