Tutors (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You don't need tutors to do well in the HSC.

If [when] I have my way, they [tutors] would be banned as an additional form of cheating.

MOD EDIT: moved discussion into new thread

Last edited by a moderator:

deswa1

HSC
Re: The p00n thread

You don't need tutors to do well in the HSC.

If [when] I have my way, they [tutors] would be banned as an additional form of cheating.
I sort of disagree. Personally I've never had a tutor because for me, I don't need one because I've got good teachers at school/know past students/can teach myself. Some other people I know though have crap teachers etc. and without a tutor, they would be stuffed.

I think you have to look at it on a case by case basis. Not everyone will benefit from a tutor (and a tutor can't guarantee high marks) but also you can't just say that tutors are useless imo

Shazer2

HSC

I sort of wish I had a tutor. :/

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

And how do you suppose this would work?
State run schools. Everyone learns the same syllabus at the same pace with the same resources (strict teaching guidelines). Get rid of private schools and private tutoring colleges.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

I think you have to look at it on a case by case basis. Not everyone will benefit from a tutor (and a tutor can't guarantee high marks) but also you can't just say that tutors are useless imo
I didn't say they are useless I am saying that the use of them should be academic misconduct. It gives students who can afford tutoring an unfair advantage.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Isn't tutoring talk = school talk?

Just sayin

deswa1

HSC

State run schools. Everyone learns the same syllabus at the same pace with the same resources (strict teaching guidelines). Get rid of private schools and private tutoring colleges.
Tbh, this is naive because it assumes that everyone learns the same way and that all teachers teach to the same ability. Its like when unions or whatever say that all teachers are just as qualified as each other and can teach to the same ability. That's bullcrap- there are massive disparities in teaching ability.

Say you teach everyone the same way. Ok this works for those who can learn in that way (which will probs be textbook work etc.) But say for those more visual learners- what happens to them? Right now, a good tutor or school etc. could use creativity and teach to the student.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

Tbh, this is naive because it assumes that everyone learns the same way and that all teachers teach to the same ability. Its like when unions or whatever say that all teachers are just as qualified as each other and can teach to the same ability. That's bullcrap- there are massive disparities in teaching ability.

Say you teach everyone the same way. Ok this works for those who can learn in that way (which will probs be textbook work etc.) But say for those more visual learners- what happens to them? Right now, a good tutor or school etc. could use creativity and teach to the student.
It may sound harsh but society doesn't need more artists or lawyers, we need more doctors, scientists and engineers.

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC

if you want to ban tutors you'll have to first uniformly standardise teachers

which won't happen
coz you know
humans aren't robots

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

If I didn't have tutoring since a young age, I still would have been academically slower than my fellow students. (i.e. I was naturally ''slow'' in terms of academics and struggled during my younger years).

So yeah, tutoring helps people who are academically ''slow''. My younger brother is suffering the same fate as well. He goes tutoring as well.

It helps the not-so-naturally-gifted students find some motivation to compete and boosts them in the long run. (happened to me at least)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

If I didn't have tutoring since a young age, I still would have been academically slower than my fellow students. (i.e. I was naturally ''slow'' in terms of academics and struggled during my younger years).

So yeah, tutoring helps people who are academically ''slow''. My younger brother is suffering the same fate as well. He goes tutoring as well.

It helps the not-so-naturally-gifted students find some motivation to compete and boosts them in the long run. (happened to me at least)
School exams are an indication of how well you are going.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

It may sound harsh but society doesn't need more artists or lawyers, we need more doctors, scientists and engineers.
Doctors? I'm sure they can just lower the ATAR requirement if they wanted more doctors.

I'd say mainly engineers and scientists.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)