UMelb JD pathway & Chancellor Scholarship Program (1 Viewer)

ncoul

HSC
Melbourne's prestige Internationally seems to increasing, with the best rankings in Australia.

Basically, I understand that their degree program has seen a sweeping change in the last few years, with a new layout. To my knowledge, a law degree can only be attained now through a 6 year course, consisting of both an undergraduate and JD program.

The most appealing characteristic is it's flexibility, giving my undergraduate commerce degree, the capacity to have two majors, whilst pursuing Japanese. The JD can also be fast tracked to 2.5 years, with can be combined with an MBA.

Hypothetically, if i were to achieve the 99.90 for the Chancellor Scholarship Program, guaranteeing entry into the JD and relieving all fees, i'd be compelled to undertake the program.

Now does anyone on here have any experience with this new program, JD pathway or the CSP scholarship? I do have some reservations about the JD, wondering if it will put me in the same stead as a combined law graduate - Any opinions will be great.

Thanks

Last edited:

sluu001

HSC
I am currently completing my B.Comm at Melbourne and am considering applying for the JD program later on. My advice to all high school students who are considering law as a destination is to "test" the waters first before committing to the dicipline. Law is one of the driest diciplines available as it requires students to be constantly reading and reviewing case laws and constitutions; which are paramount to success come examination time. This can wear on some individuals who prefer to have a measure of lateral thinking within their dicipline (ie. mathematics/science courses).

This is why I highly recommend Melbourne's undergrad ---> JD model as it gives students the opportunity to enrol is a couple of law "breadth" subjects to get a taste of how law is taught.

As to the quality of the Melbourne JD; I can tell you that it is highly regarded by many in the industry (I believe MLS is ranked No. 1 nationally). I would also argue that the JD is a more recognised form of the law degree internationally, especially in the US (where the JD is the primary pathway into the legal profession). Having said that, the topics covered by Melbourne's JD are identical to other law degreees (LLBs or JDs) are identical (all Universities will teach The Priestly Eleven); and one will not have an advantage over the other in terms of course content.

If you do manage to receive a Chancellors Scholarship to Melbourne, I would highly recommend completing a B.Comm or B.Arts at Melbourne as a destination. Besides Melbourne is such a nice place to be! =)

ncoul

HSC
Thank you, I'm pretty adamant that I'd like to study law, just questioning where. I'm in Sydney now, so it would be a large transition.

lawstu

HSC
Unimelb is awesome. Great law school, great library, generally great. Though law, especially commercial and corporations law, is one of those industries where uni matters to an extent, who really cares how well it ranks (well, although without specific regard to research, teaching, etc.) so long as you're glad with what you do and you excel (and you're at ANU, Sydney, UNSW, Melbourne, Monash, UQ, other Go8ers, some others).

Just go to a solid accredited university and do some research into electives that you might be interested in or whose campuses or climate (students and meteorological) might be conducive to your person. If you're a Sydneysider, Melbourne might be a downer for you. It has crazy four-seasons-in-one-day weather and you should always, always bring a brolly when leaving your house.

Just curious and not critical but why do you want to do law? It seems like you're not in it for the law itself.
Basically, I understand that their degree program has seen a sweeping change in the last few years, with a new layout. To my knowledge, a law degree can only be attained now through a 6 year course, consisting of both an undergraduate and JD program.
It's not all that innovative or novel. Simply, the degrees are now studied separately.
The most appealing characteristic is it's flexibility, giving my undergraduate commerce degree, the capacity to have two majors, whilst pursuing Japanese. The JD can also be fast tracked to 2.5 years, with can be combined with an MBA.
You sure you want to study for an additional year? Learning for the sake of learning is noble but, considering you want to fast-track your law degree and/or combine it with an M.B.A., it seems like you might want to work out who you want to be and how you want to get there.

Having an M.B.A. without some experience is almost unheard of. Many schools don't even allow prospective applicants or consider applicants without at least a year, two, or even three of work experience in a managerial position, plus some paperwork.
Hypothetically, if i were to achieve the 99.90 for the Chancellor Scholarship Program, guaranteeing entry into the JD and relieving all fees, i'd be compelled to undertake the program.
How about realising the 99.90 ATAR? Cross the bridge when you get there.

It's also not a guarantee. These pathways, schemes, programs, scholarships, etc. always have stipulations but I guess if you're such a smart cookie as to attain such a high uni admission rank, you wouldn't need to worry.
Now does anyone on here have any experience with this new program, JD pathway or the CSP scholarship? I do have some reservations about the JD, wondering if it will put me in the same stead as a combined law graduate - Any opinions will be great.
I was going to the J.D. in Melbourne but decided against it. I'll be back in Melbourne later.

For testimonials, you might want to check out Whirlpool.net. There are some other sites but not as many as concentrated, focussed, or with as many members/responses.

Last edited:

lawstu

HSC
Sorry to double post but I thought it might be worthwhile noting that there should be absolutely no hurry in obtaining a law degree and additional qualifications, if any. Why? Simply, education or time at uni is not - or more than - a matter of being awarded a testamur. Rather, an education and your few years at uni are vital to building up your confidence and competence to practise whatever you intend on practising. They are building blocks and stepping stones to further learning (CLE; look it up) and on-the-fly training. Maybe you're bloody brilliant and you get more than capably earn - and not just get - your law degree, with all sorts of accoutrement, if you will, such as a First-Class Honours and a University Medal as well as scholarships and prizes; but, for most people, general wisdom and the LPAB thinks otherwise.

Really, think carefully about what you want to do. If you rush things, you're not going to be the youngest partner or a major law firm or anything. For gaining time on your life, not that there's at all any rush, you'll be trading off invaluable internships, clerkships, rest, networking and making university friends, etc. that you'll never have another shot at.

Not to crap on your dreams but one would reasonably think that it's very naive and misguided to think that rushing a law degree (and an M.B.A.) would be a productive thing. If you're dead-set on getting an M.B.A., consider getting one when you're 30, 35, or 40.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I concur with lawstu last point - an MBA would not do you any justice given no prior work experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)