Underwhelmed (1 Viewer)

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Why is uni so shit.

Like the academic side of things.

I do almost no work, no study hand major assignments in late & I am still passing.

...this means that the institution is a failure in my eyes so far i have found the course content to be so un-challenging that it is demotivating.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Everyone was like this in first year
They need to make sure everyone is at the same level before they start second year.
You should use this opportunity to train urself how to study so when the content and assessments do become more difficult you are more prepared to tackle them.
Also, an easy first year is a good time to boost ur GPA.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
You nong.

First year was so incredibly easy, I busted my nuts to get some good marks so that should I do shit in second year (as highwayman says), my GPA wouldn't look like a goat had pissed on it.

Andi0390

HSC
I go to ANU which I imagine is similar. If you look at the grade requirements what actually constitutes a pass isn't that much. Its like poor understanding of concepts, etc. I was pleasantly surprised with my marks in university because I am a minimal effort person, although you can go too far with being slack (like I have done) then have two assignments overdue and two due that week. I think uni is just like year 12, in theory you can do well you just have to do it, not sit around and be slack.

I know a fair few people who are struggling, some because they are not getting the marks and others because their time management is failing, now that they have to do more properly researched papers.

I wouldn't know what next year is like, but I know that this semester it seems that they are losing a lot of people, our class sizes have dropped dramatically.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Everyone was like this in first year
They need to make sure everyone is at the same level before they start second year.
You should use this opportunity to train urself how to study so when the content and assessments do become more difficult you are more prepared to tackle them.
Also, an easy first year is a good time to boost ur GPA.
I am taking a second year course as part of my academic program, i think basically at the end of the day arts is going to be to easy. Maybe I will have to pull my marks up for the rest of the year and attempt a transfer into Comm/Law and do 2 language diplomas on the side in Japanese and Chinese

...yeah my idea was to get my GPA up through the roof but yeah the last lot of assignments i did poorly in (75%).

Laika_

Banned
HSC
Maybe you wouldn't feel this way if you did a real course *engineering cough cough* but yeah i know you mean. It was so easy at the start that it gave me a false sense of security.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
i'm also finding uni hugely underwhelming. i don't study AT ALL, and i'm on a distinction average.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
i feel rather overwhelmed tbh

i'm doing the exact same amount of work as high school (ie; little to none) and im pass/crediting.

rather sad panda.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
@hagaren, with your asian studies and stuff, you're probably one of the priveledged few students to have an aptitude and interest in what you're studying, so it'll always be easy.

Anyone can pass uni, it's just most struggle to stay motivated. I would have graduated by now if I really wanted, and enjoyed my degree.

So long as you're learning all the right tricks, getting a good, broad introduction to your field, with a modern, well researched curriculum, and receiving fair and comprehensive assessment at regular stages, you can't really complain.

Assessments are designed to show competency, they're not there to punish you.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Tim, seriously dude...it's first semester, first year, and you're doing a single B.Arts degree!

1st year takes a lot of patience if nothing else, we aren't Oxbridge/Ivy League yo. You're on the right track if you want to transfer over into Law/Arts, Science/Arts etc at the end of the year, but you still need pretty good marks to achieve that (ie. Distinction average if i'm not mistaken).

Otherwise, look at adding more to your skillset by taking leadership roles ie. start a Arts/Languages Student Society, volunteer or other stuff like that. Getting complacent about how easy stuff is, is probably the worst thing you could have happen.

Maybe you want to organise something for uni that you think would benefit others within your degree, that hasn't been done yet.

EDIT: Oh right, you're having a bitch at 5am. :)

Last edited:

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
nah man i am actually serious.

I seriously think I am going to have to start acing stuff to get me into arts/law or something for next year because this is way to cruisy, seriously how does anyone fail first year?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I don't know what your degree is like, but my first year was like that. However, I quickly learned that 2nd year comes hard and fast (like my penis). Don't become too arrogant and lazy.

HSC
Why is uni so shit.

Like the academic side of things.

I do almost no work, no study hand major assignments in late & I am still passing.

...this means that the institution is a failure in my eyes so far i have found the course content to be so un-challenging that it is demotivating.
Saaame,

They're all like 'do this reading so you can write us an essay which we will mark based on how you write an essay which we dont deal with so in the marking we will slam you so you know for next time'

In arts we get very difficult questions, like 'identify'...

Man, I'm just using this time to relax, make friends and buy polo shirts, all the shit I neglected for the last two years cause 'it was the hsc!'

Probs wouldn't listen to me though bro, I'm fair immature.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Saaame,

They're all like 'do this reading so you can write us an essay which we will mark based on how you write an essay which we dont deal with so in the marking we will slam you so you know for next time'

In arts we get very difficult questions, like 'identify'...

Man, I'm just using this time to relax, make friends and buy polo shirts, all the shit I neglected for the last two years cause 'it was the hsc!'

Probs wouldn't listen to me though bro, I'm fair immature.
Nah, you're on track I think.

First year is for that. This is when you graduate, employers expect you to have done other stuff as well.

Soak it up whilst you can fellas.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Wellll yes and no but I think it's probably worse for you coz you're in a field with a trillion and one other people. You have to try and stand out from the rest of the other people who are exactly like you.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Wellll yes and no but I think it's probably worse for you coz you're in a field with a trillion and one other people. You have to try and stand out from the rest of the other people who are exactly like you.
:(

That's true.

Those bastards stole my jawb! I was a certaintea. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)