Uni Gym (1 Viewer)

^___^
HSC
For those that has seen me in real life, you would know I am one of those sexy asians that has a mass less than a box of feather...

now, I want to bulk up a little bit, not like Hulk..more like err Arnie, so i am planning to join a gym this sem. If you have not noticed, I live in uni :p Luckily i only have 15 hrs a week this sem, so i can spend some time at the gym

So my question is, how much is it to join the gym @ uni, is it better to join Fitness First??

Any help is appreciated. All grammartical(is that the word :confused:) and spelling errors are there for you to fix

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
... said:
All grammartical(is that the word :confused:) and spelling errors are there for you to fix
grammatical.. lol

and i don't remember exactly but i think its something around $300 for half a year
and if you bring a friend, its a month free ... or something
so i dunno about fitness first, but that's a hella lot cheaper than mounties lol

lol sorry that's probably not much help

sam_account

HSC
i go to fitness first. i would really recommend fitness first. i've also tried my uni gym, (UNSW), but relative to fitness first its nothing. fitness first , at least where i go, is pretty large and has 99% of the equipment that u wud ever need. plus from time to time they are updating /getting new equipment. umm..about the prices... i think there's like a $50 fee for maintaining ur account, and a $100 or $150 sign up fee...but they usually have promotions like "no sign up fee if u join in month X" ..stuff like that. i pay $29.95 per fortnite(but i think i'm on a family plan or sumthing)... if you have frnds/family alrdy at the gym, u shud talk to a sales person, they can tell of some special offers u get in these situations.

u gotta sign a minimum 1 yr contract, which u can't get out of unless u have expectional reasons/circumstances. side-on benefits of fitness first are like free movie rental, ocassionaly u get free promo stuff like a free razor LOL!!. overall, its good i reckon, even though a bit expensive (about $780 per yr). hope this answers ur questions. PS: they can prolly give u like a free pass for 2/3 days if you wanna try out the gym before joining up . . .

^___^
HSC
awesome...

for fitness first, can i go to random fitness first gym, or do i have to stick to a particular one??

ND

HSC
Mate the uni gym is awesome value cos it's subsidised. It may not have cutting edge machines or brand new equipment, but that makes no difference at all in getting big (particularly as you should stay away from machines and stick to free weights). My only complaint is that at busy times you may sometimes have to wait a little while for the lighter dumbells.

^___^
HSC
yeah, i don't mind the equipments.

hmm, i might go during quiet times, like early mornings so no one can touch my 500g dumbells!!

haw haw, that can be interpreted on so many different levels, i blame the flu :(

PrettyVacant

HSC
My gym membership is free and has kickass new machines. And hardly anyone goes there. :D

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
ND said:
particularly as you should stay away from machines and stick to free weights
why? i don't want to get big or anything lol but just curious

PrettyVacant

HSC
Oh no, it's a residential gym. In actual fact, it could be ten times more expensive than your gym, but it's included in the ridiculous "general maitenance" fee. :mad1:

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
hi tripple dot :)

Oooh i love it when guys are interested in bulking up :) .... so so so hot :D

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=849593 check out that transformation! omg what a HOT HOT BODY! perfect size, not too big and not too small :)

Use this site! I stumbled upon during my ketogenic diet phase.... but its mainly for guys bulking up ... so i dont use it often but i still visit to perve on the all the photos lol

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
The gym in Marsfield (within walking distance of the uni) is $10 a week for new people..

HSC
N/A
PrettyVacant said:
Oh no, it's a residential gym. In actual fact, it could be ten times more expensive than your gym, but it's included in the ridiculous "general maitenance" fee. :mad1:
Why is there a yr 10 person posting in the uni forums? :p *points to "Uni Gym" thread title and "General - Macquarie University" forum name*

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Why is there a yr 10 person posting in the uni forums? :p *points to "Uni Gym" thread title and "General - Macquarie University" forum name*
*gasp*

^___^
HSC
clairegirl said:
Oooh i love it when guys are interested in bulking up :) .... so so so hot :D
its not hawt, when you are trying to bulk up so that you can actually find clothes that fits you...i hate to shop in kids section of Myer, that or Pumpkin Patch(OJ style)

glitterfairy said:
terrority nazi!

Tabris

HSC
Is your frame too small?? is tat all your looking at? noothing else?

In that case, do pushups, i use to be in the same position as u, now in the break, i can do more than 400 a day, reallly increases your chest size and cretes a V shape in on the sides...

Also get some light weights, they are excellent, for starters, i have 2 x 14lb weights which i use for lateral raises and deltoids exercises, bicep curls on also really helps.

THe best ting about it is that its very cheap and u dont need a gym

I mean, u can do pushups on the go, active exercising while u study, u can get 100 pushups done in 1 hr while studying at same time.

I dont go to gym, i tink u need to go if u realy need to bulk up like those in the muscle mags.

Last edited:

ND

HSC
pb said:
why? i don't want to get big or anything lol but just curious
Machines don't work the stabilising or secondary muscles. Also, you are restricted to a certain range of motion (which is not ideal).

Is your frame too small?? is tat all your looking at? noothing else?

In that case, do pushups, i use to be in the same position as u, now in the break, i can do more than 400 a day, reallly increases your chest size and cretes a V shape in on the sides...
Unless you're just starting out, pushups aren't very effective due to the fact that your own bodyweight soon becomes too little to adequately work your muscles. Each set should consist of 6-8 reps and be to failure.

Also, pushups work chest and tri's, not lats (and lats are what give you the V).

Also get some light weights, they are excellent, for starters, i have 2 x 14lb weights which i use for lateral raises and deltoids exercises, bicep curls on also really helps.
There are very few exercises that you can do with such light weights, and you'll soon grow out of them. IMO money is much better spent on a gym membership than buying your own equipment.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Basically what ND said....You need the heavier weights as you go on. You also need to be able to do a variety of exercises to stop your body from getting used to it.

Free weights are so much better. I never did free weights in the past, but last couple of weeks I've been doing free weights and they are so much harder (better). Again, I'll repeat what ND said, About 8 with failure (really strain to get the 8th one). You also might want to go to the next weight and reach maybe 5 or 6 with failure. And keep moving up. I reach about 12 with failure in maybe the second set and really die in my 3rd to reach 10. But thats because I don't really want to bulk, but tone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)