Uni libraries... (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Now that I'm bumming around, waiting for HSC results and raking up a massive wishlist of novels to read, I was wondering if uni libraries are like school libraries, i.e. have a fiction and non-fiction section? I went to UNSW and from what I could see there was no fiction available. Ok, fair enough I didn't check the catalogue to see if there actually were any fiction books, but are uni libraries more reference and research-orientated than school ones?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ah, you could just look for yourself given that the library catalogues are online.

KD

HSC
N/A
Yes, you will find that University libraries are primarily set up to be a resource for the courses taught and research done at the University. There are still novels etc. but they will generally be more academic in nature (English). The libraries have limited budgets and must justify expenditure.

The good news is that all Universities have catalogues that can be accessed via the Web so you can search them all without leaving home (this is the best option because it can be difficult getting a terminal in the library at certain times in the session).

Skeeta

HSC
yeah i have a friend at uni who also studies at NIDA and was trying to do some assignments for that. She needed quotes from romeo and juliet and was horrified when she found out that there was no shakespeare in our library

its a health science library - why WOULD we have shakespeare?!

tabbi_neubeck

minus the neubeck part
HSC
Most of the library is non-Fiction, for study purposes.
Though we do have a children's section where lots of different books can be found.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
for usyd, go straight to the curriculum section. It's a separate room with shelves upon shelves choc a block of high school material

lots of classic novels :)D), even some teen series, tapes of austen novels blah blah

the rest of the library is for research purposes and not the kind of books u would want for light summer reading :p

edit: has all the shakespeare plays and sonnets etc as well.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
haha id love if there was fiction in the health science library

something like mills & boon ROFL

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
from memory, there have been some odd books that the catalogue said were in the health science lib...

some politics stuff and computer books :confused:

Leap

free falling
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
haha id love if there was fiction in the health science library

something like mills & boon ROFL
I think there is some fiction in the health science library, You know downstairs near the photocopying room they have those shelves of books? Most of them are dictionaries and stuff, but there is one shelf of fiction.

santaslayer

HSC
Hmmm...we have non fiction type books i think...but they are usually for wider reading purposes...

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
there is non fiction at the health sciemce section near the printers but thers only one set of shelves

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Skeeta said:
yeah i have a friend at uni who also studies at NIDA and was trying to do some assignments for that. She needed quotes from romeo and juliet and was horrified when she found out that there was no shakespeare in our library

its a health science library - why WOULD we have shakespeare?!
Your libraries about the only usyd one with a decent range of Tom Clancy :(

lala2

Banned
HSC
Are the printing facilities at uni libraries usually free?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
As the others have said, uni libraries mainly consist of text books, journals and other non-fiction items.
However, Newcastle does have a small collection of fictional items (I know we have the Da Vinci Code!), but you'd be better off to join your local library if you're desperate for some reading material

Keen

MD
HSC
A lot of literature (especially the classics i.e. anything famous older than 50-100 years) can be and are classified in the non-fiction (~800s?). So you'll definetly find your Dicken's to your Dante and of course Shakespeare. I guess they'd also have newer books which are studied in the English course.
But yeah, as far as they go it'd be cheaper, more economical and easier to go to a public library. Although some uni libraries are really slack with their penalty system (like Uni Adelaide just has demerit points (2p per day overdue) and once they accumulate to 60 (per year) you lose your borrowing privalages for like 3 weeks - doesn't really stop anyone.

Keen

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
There's plenty of good stuff in the arts and humanities libraries. Lots of poetry, and "literature" (including Haruki Murakami) and other famous (if not all recent) work. Plus, if you can read a foreign language, there's usually a lot of foreign books to read in the languages sections. A friend at USyd studying BIT told me he's in love with the Eastern Languages section of Fisher because it means he can keep up the six years of Japanese we did at school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)