uni (1 Viewer)

T

timbk2

u can ask us anything u want about uni-life and uni in general
if you want an answer in one word..... its "awesome"

Dude

HSC
Choosing subjects

What motivated you or helped you in choosing the course u r currently doing @ uni?? I have narrowed my choices down but i'm sill a bit iffy.

The future is not something we enter, it is something we create

T

timbk2

well... i knew i wanted to do something in computing or engineering

at first.. i was determined to do B.Business/B.Engineering at uts.
but when it came to selecting preferences..... i put Comp.Science ahead of that course. ... cause back then..i didnt know that u put the one u want most at the top..... so i get into comp.science... and they didnt have any places in the other course..... as you'd expect... i was pretty damn pisssed at myself.
but it turns out... it was the best choice.... cause im loving my course now... and i know people in that other enginerring course... who hate it.

i dont know if that helps you. aslong as u have a rough idea.. when it comes to selected courses.... do it VERY carefully.
and make sure the one on the top is THE course u want to do.
i know ppl who get 93uai... and selected the wrong courses.. and didnt get into anything....now they do a FEE's course.. instead of a HECS course... meaning they pay 12k a year for nothing

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Indeed Tim. Don't do a course just because it sounds good.

Basically, I'm only doing a B Science cos Medical Science and Medicine were just way too hard to get into *swears*

T

timbk2

comp science doesnt sound good.... butt... when we got in.. they changed the name... now its... B.Sc in Information Technology....
"woahhh!"

Dude

HSC
Do you know what the difference between computing/software enginerring and computer science is. I think the engineering courses need higher UAI's, but are they more enjoyable courses and do they lead 2 a successful career??

T

timbk2

uts comp science was like 87.40

uts engineering was 87.00

nothing gaurauntees a successful career path

IT might be bad now... but it will be quite different in 4 years time
just do what interests u more.

Divya

HSC
eng/sci

I'm doing software eng (1st yr) and I was also thinking abt comp sci as an option. I looked at the syllabus b4 I chose seng:
this is in UNSW first yr:
*comp eng: 3 subjects of maths, 2 subjects of phys and a lil bit of elec.
*seng: 3 subjects of maths, 1 subject of comp (like sdd), 2 of seng workshops and 2 info sys (like ipt)
*comp sci: 2 comps, 3 maths and then, they have to do electives (u can do many subjects from phys to psych...)
all those lil books that u collect on the open days and stuff are on the net:
http://publish.web.unsw.edu.au/handbooks.htm
http://www.eng.usyd.edu.au/pdf/tables_courses.pdf (or) http://www.usyd.edu.au/college/index.shtml
jus look for "handbook" in all the uni websites

Last edited:
T

timbk2

nowonder why ppl dont like compsci at unsw.
3 maths??

IT at uts. is all 4 comp. with one of them kinda like business/accounting

debugz

HSC
=)
UTS rocks.
no maths.. no phys... no BS

first year 4 comp subjects
simple as that
have a bit of programming, networking, basic computing (unix is deadly >:/), and a bit of *cough.. ICC* ipt revision. :)

next yr, we choose a sub-major... something liek that.. ranging from netowkring, software engineering, digital media, wireless communication.. all these great electeives.

sydney makes u do a whole bunch of maths and physics first year, more computing comes into it 2nd year, but still.. comp sci at sydney uni is very theoreticle, very.. errr... iccky and useless.

UTS... yeah

BTW: i do B of Sci in IT / Dip IT Prof. Prac at UTS!
*de nudges ian, tim... and.. well mark :)*

armenia

hey

hey i was wondering at the moment im getting like around 80% for my assessment task in all subjects and im hoping to get a 80 as a uai do u thing i will get that????

debugz

HSC
if ur getting 80's in all of ur subjects, and get 80% in all of ur hsc exams... farkkkk... ull prolly get i nthe 90's for a UAI... but i spose it also depends on ur subjects

and marrrrrk!!! ffs... i should show wayne brookes that comment! geezzz..

Y

yeh

i was dead set on doing BA Design/Architecture @ USYD but i recently read that SMH Good University's Guide and they said that it's the crappiest course in the state. Yet it has the highest UAI cutoff. wut's up with that?

so now, i don't know wut course to do. they say architectural courses are too long and have poor teaching quality. i'm into art but with a technical side. are there any engineering courses in uni like that?

T

timbk2

nah, nothing in engineering like that
think about architecture at UNSW or UTS (uts design building rocks).

or if u are creative with the computer.... do visual design or soemthing.

gabitive

HSC
N/A
Im thinking of doing something technology/engineering related so UTS might be quite suitable for me..

But most people seem to like Usyd adn UNSW (most of those around me prefer the later)

Any ideas why?
or any thoughts

Y

yeh

design building sounds interesting. wut exactly do you do in that?

T

timbk2

stuff like architecture..... and everything that ends with design...

industrial.... interior.... visual.... watever.
and they got a mad basketballcourt at the back..
but that is "our" area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)