Union Board Elections 2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
UPDATE: WEDNESDAY 26TH APRIL 2006

The following candidates are running for Union Board Election this year:

(in the order they appear in the Candiature 2006: The 2006 Union Board Election Candidates booklet, released today, available from all Union Publication Stands)

Roz Stein
Michelle Crisp
Rose Khalilizadeh
Tim Suttie
Jo Gad
Tom Green
Andrew Quah
Mark Tanner
Danielle Tuazon
Monica Tudehope
Tom Kavanagh

Their profiles, as well as information about the Elections in general can be found at the USU Website

FIRST YEARS
For those of you who are at USyd for the first time this year, the end of April/beginning of May is a time for craziness at uni. Most available surfaces on campus become defaced with various chalked (or illegally painted) slogans, people will harass you to and from the station and class, people will be lecture bashing constantly and student media will be in overdrive. Why? Because its an election campaign.

This particular Election is to elect people to be a Board Director on the University of Sydney Union. (not to be confused with the SRC - this election occurs later in the year) We don't vote for a President or anything, just a fairly straightforward, up and down, tick the boxes of the people you want.

Be aware that preference deals DO occur although aren't usually widely publicised. Honi Soit is your best source of Election information as well as members of this community.

This forum usually has a few people running for a position on the Union Board, so feel free to ask them questions. Members who are running will PM me a spiel about why we should vote for them, and I'll sticky this and close the thread. If you want to ask the candidate questions, you can do so via PM's or e-mail (depending on what form of contact the person has nominated) This system is implemented for 2 reasons:

1) By having their own, seperate thread, people can read what they want to say, without it being lost in the discussion of this thread, which is for General Discussion about the Election.

2) By closing the thread I don't have to police the huge amount of spam which will inevitably happen and this is largely to prevent a huge degree of mud-slinging and spam which will occur.

PEOPLE RUNNING FOR ELECTION
As per the usual practice, any members of this community running for election are free to PM me a spiel on why we should vote for you which will be placed in a locked thread. Members wishing to ask a candidate specific questions should do so via the Private Messaging System or via any other contact details the candidate wishes to provide.

If you feel this system is not effective and that threads should be left open, please PM me with any concerns/queries you may have

Please also be aware that whilst I would not report any of you to the Union directly, if you should contravene any of the regulations outlined in the Duty Statements, one of the other candidates may report you. This forum is public territory and as such, all usual practices regarding appropriate behaviour and treatment towards other candidates should be observed. This includes harrassment. As per usual, all normal forum rules also apply and thus, any spam (in this thread, defined as what is not pertinent to the Elections and Student Politics in general) will be removed.

Hopefully this way we can have lively and active discussion on this important matter.

Good luck to all of you who are running and to everyone else, please vote on May the 10th.

Regards,
Susan

Last edited:

gerhard

HSC
kavanagh is a retard

dude came into my lecture, said he was going to give us 3 reasons to vote for him, then could only think of two, and for the third reason he just said the other two reasons again.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm running Monica's campaign, will post up a campaign statement as soon as I receive one from her.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Tom and Rose.

Seriously, would actually do something on union board as opposed to wanting to be there just for something to add to their CV.

Tom and Rose - so hot right now.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I got given a Rose pamphlet today. Basically it says that, despite there being a women's space, subsidised childcare, a women's committee, special women's quotas for the board, etc, that "Women have often been ignored by Union services". Ignored compared to what? They have access to all the non-gender specific services that men do, plus the ones I listed above, when men receive (to my knowledge) no special benefits. I'm not saying they should, but to claim that women have been ignored is utterly ridiculous.

She also proposes that we create a full time student radio station, start a Writers' festival, start expensive recycling programs etc, at a time when the Union needs to cut down fees. Policies such as this are what will run the Union into the ground in the coming years.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Malfoy said:
I agree with you there, Justin - I never said I agreed with her politics, only that she's really nice.

Do Engineering students get their own rep?
No, but the last four years we've run a candidate down there and they've all gotten in.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
guyz. coz im really orsum, yáll get to see a sneak preview of one of my posters for next year. (I only made one so early, as we had to design an ad about ourselves for marketing, thus the idea came up).

p.s. whilst i dont support rose's policies, I <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Rose :) I sincerely hope she gets in, just because she's orsum :)

p.p.s. my campaign next year will be teh secks.

EDIT: wait, is this allowed by union bylaws? I'm not a candidate yet, so it should be fine? Or am I wrong.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
guyz. coz im really orsum, yáll get to see a sneak preview of one of my posters for next year. (I only made one so early, as we had to design an ad about ourselves for marketing, thus the idea came up).

p.s. whilst i dont support rose's policies, I <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Rose :) I sincerely hope she gets in, just because she's orsum :)

p.p.s. my campaign next year will be teh secks.

EDIT: wait, is this allowed by union bylaws? I'm not a candidate yet, so it should be fine? Or am I wrong.
If you've got Unity backing you, any claims to be independent could be viewed as fraudulent.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
who the hell is unity?

EDIT: and no one is backing me (although I'll prob try to strike a preferential deal with some people)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ohes. i considered getting them to back me. then thought that there'd be too many disagreements. at our uni it seems that privatisation = hard right, fighting vsu (that's already in place) = anywhere from marginal right to hard left.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
who the hell is unity?

EDIT: and no one is backing me (although I'll prob try to strike a preferential deal with some people)
Unity are Labor right.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Templar said:
Ah fuck, not this shit again. Trust Phanatical and his ISA to start the political sledging.
Wait something seems different . Oh no mention of "OMG FUNDING FOR FALUN GONG CULT BUT NOT THE CCP!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!ONEONEONE"

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Is this your official campaign statement or are you going to send one through to me?

Andrew you have to admit, its getting tiresome. You are right that the left have nothing to offer, but to continually say that

Phanatical said:
as a team we've accomplished more for our campus and for the entire university than the Labor Left have in over ten years.
Where? I don't see anything? Give us examples.

Phanatical said:
Do not be fooled by the slogans - they don't work towards a fair and equitable society, they work towards a society where today's inequality is replaced by greater inequality. They have, and will continue to fund terrorist organisations and with your help, it is the ISA that will keep them in check.
You haven't proven that Falun Gong is a terrorist organisation, neither have you proved that ths SRC has actually given them money. You repeatedly keep on saying that the SRC funds a "terrorist organisation" yet you accuse the left of repeating the same slogans.

To me, this seems like very much a case of same shit, different smell. Unless you've got something tangible to prove to us Andrew, you should stop making all the false and outrageous claims that you continually spout, because its getting REALLY old, REALLY quickly.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
It's almost like the state Liberal party. They come up with all these faults they could find with others, yet cannot offer a solution which would show that they're better. While the current platform has many flaws, you have provided no evidence that yours will be any better (or even on par).

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Falun Gong is a cult. It is responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people - and I believe I can say this with authority because among those thousands of innocent people are members of my own family.

I'll put out an official policy statement another day. Today, I am getting drunk to celebrate my 21st. Hurray!

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Tom Kavanagh sucks, namely because he harasses people with his propaganda while they're trying to eat at Wentworth. Not cool.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
c_james said:
Tom Kavanagh sucks, namely because he harasses people with his propaganda while they're trying to eat at Wentworth. Not cool.
Judging by your custom status, I'd say you were flogging Mark Tanner though?

Care to make a policy statement?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Union Board Elections 2006 - UPDATED 26/4

He's had the CS for ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)