University of sydney merit, entry and faculty scholarships (1 Viewer)

bui123

HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of studying speech pathology at USYD and I'm also looking into the scholarships that USYD offers and this one of particular seemed most appropriate for me. Their info says that they usually hand these out to students with a minimum ATAR of 95 - is this true? I've heard UNSW say same thing but I know people with high 80s who have received them... Just wondering if it's the same thing for USYD?

Also, I know getting these scholarships are quite competitive. What kind of student do you have to be to stand out to achieve this scholarship?

Many thanks in advanced!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of extra-curricular activities, sport and things like that - only 20 or so people get them per year (per faculty), as far as I know so it's extremely competitive. I'm referring to Merit/Entry, by the way.

LHS is on one of these scholarships - ask her.

Last edited:
HSC
I also received a USYD entry scholarship (which I later declined due to another scholarship).

You just need to demonstrate that you're not just another nerd who studies all the time. Extra cirriculars, amazing experiences and general interest/passion goes a long way.

someth1ng is incorrect about there only being 10-20 each year. The quotas depend on faculties. For large faculties like science and arts, there are more. For Education, for example, there are less.

USYD is strict about their entry requirements. You won't get an offer if you get <95. There are just too many people applying who meet this criteria.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Not sure how they work for health, since I only applied for the science ones
However, I have also heard that it's really competitive.
And considering that there's only about 120 first year speech paths this year and no more than 1000 first year students in the health faculty, there wouldn't be that many offered at all.
And you have to remember, most of the health courses are around the 95 mark anyway, so I think quite a significant number of people apply

HSC
someth1ng can't count - there were 44 awarded that year.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,

So the personal statement is super important with these as it's what you gets you the interview(proof it really well) which only about 50 of the people vying for one get.

You must get a minimum of 95, it is not negotiable as you get short listed but only awarded once ATARs are out.

It's heavily based on the ECs you have, just a few of mine to give you an idea.
*represented Australia for science
*state public speaking/debating
*100s of volunteer hours
*Adv 2 RAD level (ballet)
*AMEB Speech and Drama and Violin levels

Etc.

You of course can mention good academic things like any special awards and that, but the academic awards(Dux, essay writing/creating writing comp awards, ICAS comp awards I mentioned in mine) are mainly satisfied by the ATAR threshold, they are looking for all rounders.

HSC
Just a side note, for the ENTRY scholarship you don't usually get an interview. You'll most likely get one for the MERIT, and they sift the rest out there.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Just a side note, for the ENTRY scholarship you don't usually get an interview. You'll most likely get one for the MERIT, and they sift the rest out there.
I thought the entry people had interviews, or was that more to shift the merit from the entry?

Kipling

HSC
I have a question regarding the online application. It asks for your subjects, your trial marks, and your 'position in year at trial'.

1) Is 'position in year at trial' referring to your trial rank, or your overall rank following the trial?
2) What is stopping anyone from lying about their marks? I know my school report doesn't list my trial marks, do others?

moocow920

HSC
I have a question regarding the online application. It asks for your subjects, your trial marks, and your 'position in year at trial'.

1) Is 'position in year at trial' referring to your trial rank, or your overall rank following the trial?
2) What is stopping anyone from lying about their marks? I know my school report doesn't list my trial marks, do others?
1) I put my pre trial ranks thats how I interpreted it
2) If you read carefully it says you are giving them permission to contact your school to confirm marks, achievements, things like that, its in the boxes you tick on your application. Plus, if youre lying about your marks your ATAR will probably show it

moocow920

HSC
We don't get our after trial overall ranks till end of exams though, or most schools don't at least I'm pretty sure, so I don't know what else rank it would be.

Also does anyone know what to name the files of your report and reference and things when you attach them in the email? like what to put as the file name

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)